PDA

View Full Version : Jason Castro - Somewhere Over The Rainbow

seeso
04-08-2008, 02:18 PM
He's on American Idol playing an ukulele and singing Iz right now. HA HA!

Go check it out.

seeso
04-08-2008, 02:21 PM
Meh. It wasn't great. It was too poppy for me. All the judges loved it. Sheesh, why do I watch this show?

Did I hear that right? Did Paula just call it a "guitar?"

Here comes the ukulele, America.

russ_buss
04-08-2008, 02:26 PM
i'll have to wait a few hours before i can see it here. did he "make it his own"? haha.

dude kind of creeps me out with those eyes.

Ukulele_Junkie
04-08-2008, 02:29 PM
ooh thanks for the heads up seeso, its gonna be on in 2 hours from now over here, but yeah making that song poppish is bleh.

EleoCasil
04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
He's on American Idol playing an ukulele and singing Iz right now. HA HA!

Go check it out.
So he played the ukulele and sang an IZ song? On TV? wow...

Orlando
04-08-2008, 03:02 PM
So i was waiting for kitchen nightmare to start, and american idol was on. They were doing the recap, ad one of the kids did IZ's wonderful world, complete with ukulele!

seeso
04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
You can watch it here:

http://www.rickey.org/?p=7586

seeso
04-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Can anyone tell what kind of ukulele he's playing?

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1552/picture2fa4.png

Plainsong
04-08-2008, 03:29 PM
He's trying too hard to sing it, and cheating as he goes up the scale (talking about vocals here). Ugh. I can't tell just from the mp3 if he was feelin' it or not. I'd say not, but if he loves playing the uke and loves singing I don't have anything against it. He should be able to sing complete phrases though - he knows better than that. ;)

davoomac
04-08-2008, 03:33 PM
ah i missed it. Haha i don't know what it is... this is the first season that I actually watched american idol.

Guting
04-08-2008, 03:33 PM
meh indeed

Ukulele_Junkie
04-08-2008, 03:35 PM
hmmm i thought it was pretty good i jus really hate how he went up hella high on that falsetto in the middle of the song, he's already singing high to begin with.

A guitar huh, guess he left his guitar in the the dryer too long or rick moranis took it to his shrink ray.

davoomac
04-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Thanks for that link seeso.

I thought it was pretty good, that falsetto part was a bit much though. Props for having that 'guitar' though. Lets see if UU membership spikes :D

Plainsong
04-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Those idol judges are so all over the place though. They'll refuse someone the next step in the audition because they do the same kind of cheats he did when he was singing... and then turn around and praise the next person for doing the same frakking thing. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

But I don't mind him playing his "little guitar." ;)

Poi Dog
04-08-2008, 04:02 PM
Did "Simon" actually say.. "by Israel somebody or other on the internet?"

WTF?!

And I used to Loooooove Paula Abdul... but when she doesn't know what the hell a ukulele is... makes me just wonder what kinda "talent" these idiots think they know about!!

What "very little" respect I had for that show is now TOTALLY GONE!!

Poi Dog
04-08-2008, 04:05 PM
REPOST

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1724

Plainsong
04-08-2008, 04:26 PM
It really does show a lack of musical knowledge. And like I said, before getting to Hollywood, they'll blast someone for using the vocal shortcuts he did, like dropping phrases and using the throat to push the sound out... and you think "Well ok that person has potential but they're looking for a certain level above that." And then they'll take someone else who does the same bleeding thing.

And to not know instrument names, or names of famous musicians, and to be in the industry where that's your job....really really really really bad.

I think he was playing a Kala. Am I right or completely wrong?

So, will Jake somebody, that guy with the tiny guitar who was on Conan, will he be guest appearing on Idol? ;)

GX9901
04-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Can anyone tell what kind of ukulele he's playing?

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1552/picture2fa4.png

That's an Oscar Schmidt. Not sure what size it is though.

I think the performance is pretty good. But then again, what do I know?

Regster
04-08-2008, 05:15 PM
to me it sounded good but they call it a guitar lol omg when will people recognize the difference of the uke n the guitar

Ukulele_Junkie
04-08-2008, 05:16 PM
to me it sounded good but they call it a guitar lol omg when will people recognize the difference of the uke n the guitar

they'll know that its not a guitar when that dude grows some balls and tells them its called a oohkulele. but yeah he does play guitar jus i guess they were saying it in general that he's good with his guitar.

Ame
04-08-2008, 05:42 PM
omg, I hate Jason Castro. T.T;;

I'm not gonna lie, I hella watch AI every year. haha but dang Jason Castro has done absolutely nothing to stay in the comp. His voice is not special, yes he can play a bizzllion instuments, but it's a singing comp. He can only sing those laid back, same rhythm kinda songs and he has no personality. laaame.

It was kinda funny, I was watching some Jake Shimabukuro vids and I look up and Jason is playing the uke. I love that version of the song, but he didn't do it any justice. Honestly, what was that. bleh nothing special you're dead to me so let's move on... but no the judges LOVED it. He was not 'molten lava hot', Randy and that's not a guitar Paula. WTF?! I'm done with AI until the last ep haha dang.

Dominator
04-08-2008, 05:43 PM
It's already on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdnzKgq-B6Y

russ_buss
04-08-2008, 05:52 PM
every year there are a handful of chumps that aren't great singers, but have something interesting about them that the producers like. this isn't a singing competition, it's a popularity contest. dreadlocks and big creepy eyes and you're halfway to your first tiger beat magazine cover. ugh...

Orlando
04-08-2008, 05:56 PM
wooooooops...:o

Orlando
04-08-2008, 06:05 PM
I just watched the whole video, and I didn't really like it. Then again, I'm being COMPLETELY bias.:p

tad
04-08-2008, 07:29 PM
An Oscar Schmidt is all you get on an American Idol budget?

Jesus. If he'd've been on VH-1, would they have given him one of those ukes that you can buy at novelty shops?

Ukulele_Junkie
04-08-2008, 07:51 PM
American Idol contestants don't get much payout when they are on the show, its jus lodge, food, and wardrobe.

tad
04-08-2008, 07:54 PM
American Idol contestants don't get much payout when they are on the show, its jus lodge, food, and wardrobe.

I think you mean:
"...Lodge, food, wardrobe, and WE OWN YOUR SOUL FOREVER! BWAH HAH HA!"

Ukulele_Junkie
04-08-2008, 07:59 PM
ha yeah thats why i'm happy blake didnt win last year even though the dude was tyte. Now he's better off doing his own thing.

MJPHILLY
04-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I think the falsetto was aight, but when he transition to a lower tone he couldn't cut it. the " and the dreams" the "and" was way too much for him.

In Paula defense I think she was speaking of his overall performances were guitar, not necessarily this one. She has never been accused of being a great speaker.

Simon was wrong for the Israel something...

Tonight must have sucked for that performance to be molten hot.

Positive exposure for Ukulele is better than nothing. Even if it comes from some fake wanna be dreadlock guy.

Poi Dog
04-08-2008, 10:12 PM
In Paula defense I think she was speaking of his overall performances were guitar, not necessarily this one. She has never been accused of being a great speaker.

Thank Gawd - now I don't have to kick her out of bed! ;)

FunkyPeaNutZ
04-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Man, he bombed on that...Went too fast, and you didn't really get the feeling that you would get when someone sang it with true meaning. That's just my 2 cents. He's missing that island vibe I guess, or just the passion. Almost anyone can bust out the song, but only a few can really make you stop and say damn.

Dino
04-09-2008, 12:11 AM
IMO I thnk he did a fairly decent job. I agree with everyone that some runs he did were'nt good and he did say youkulele, but hey, I have heard much worse singers on youtube trying to sing this song and they don't have to sit in front of a large audience and thinking about the millions of people watching across the nation. Hey, he represented what we on UU love....the uke....and Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. I'm actually glad Simon did'nt destroy Israel's last name by trying to pronounce it. Where I work, I have to talk to a bunch of mainland operators who can't even correctly pronounce "Kamehameha" or a street name here. One thing I did appreciate was that Jason said Bruddah IZ cause I bet you that he could'nt pronounce his last name either.

WS64
04-09-2008, 12:37 AM
I liked it.
So much better than all the guys on the German version of American Idol, DSDS (Deutschland sucht den Superstar - Germany searches for the superstar)

Plainsong
04-09-2008, 02:17 AM
Simon did show a real lack of knowledge there about his own industry, which he claims to pwn. Now will someone please beat his lap time on Top Gear?

artcrocker
04-09-2008, 02:29 AM
Uke Hunt posted the tab and strum pattern for the American Idol version of IZ's song if interested. The ukulele looks like an Oscar Schmidt 5.

http://ukulelehunt.com/2008/04/09/israel-kamakawiwoolejason-castro-somewhere-over-the-rainbow/

la_ingrit
04-09-2008, 04:58 AM
Meh. It wasn't great. It was too poppy for me. All the judges loved it. Sheesh, why do I watch this show?

Did I hear that right? Did Paula just call it a "guitar?"

Here comes the ukulele, America.

PEOPLE...IT'S NOT JASON WHO SOUNDS GOOD!!! IT'S THE MAGIC OF THE UKULELE!!!! (with all due respect)...THE UKE IS A GREAT INSTRUMENT...EASY TO FALL IN LOVE WITH!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Ingrit

menehunenyc
04-09-2008, 06:21 AM
All I can say it that it was a pretty bland performance. Although he did provide excellent exposure for the uke by not f---ing up... his strumming was simple, but was hidden by those stupid strings in the background (maybe that was a good thing). A very sentimental performance by pulling on the hearstrings of his fans and their memories of hearing Iz's version of the song. All this will probably go a long way towards keeping him on the show, AI love this kind of performance. But is this the WOW performance we all expect at this stage of the competition?...I think not.

UKESTAR
04-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Come on.....we all know we are "not supposed to like Amer. Idol" but really...that kid has got a great and unique voice. I thought it was good... It does not have to sound exactly like the master IZ to be good in my opinion. And of course...nobody can match IZ.

Plainsong
04-09-2008, 06:30 AM
No, he doesn't have a great voice. What I mean to say is, sure, he could. If you're asking if he can sing, I'd say yes. But he didn't do it there. He was cheating way too much with lots of mistakes that they fry others for making.

I don't mind that was up there playing a uke classic. That's great, but if we're just talking about the voice technique, that was pretty awful actually. Of course if I was teaching someone like that I'd be a lot more positive and constructive about what was wrong. If you'd like me to go into more detail I can. I figure I'm gonna get flamed again for saying this, but it's true.

UKESTAR
04-09-2008, 06:48 AM
No, he doesn't have a great voice. What I mean to say is, sure, he could. If you're asking if he can sing, I'd say yes. But he didn't do it there. He was cheating way too much with lots of mistakes that they fry others for making.

I don't mind that was up there playing a uke classic. That's great, but if we're just talking about the voice technique, that was pretty awful actually. Of course if I was teaching someone like that I'd be a lot more positive and constructive about what was wrong. If you'd like me to go into more detail I can. I figure I'm gonna get flamed again for saying this, but it's true.

Yeh, I can't sing to save my life. I guess I admire singing more than someone who CAN sing...haha. It is easier to be a critic if you actually can sing yourself....ha.

seeso
04-09-2008, 07:04 AM
The biggest problem for me with his performance was the disconnect he seemed to have with the song. It seemed calculated. I could have lived with his awful falsetto section if I thought he actually felt it.

rayan
04-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Wow you guys are FIRED UP about this performance! I thought it was okay. It'll probably keep him on the show but more importantly, that kind of exposure for the uke is awesome. You know that millions of people saw it on TV and the video of it is getting pretty viral now, Jason Calacanis twittered that video out as soon as it happened.

Hopefully people see that performance and decide that they want to try and learn the ukulele and then discover.. you know... real uke players.

Dominator
04-09-2008, 08:05 AM
This is sort of interesting. This topic is being discussed on a few other Ukulele Boards that I visit and though there is the occasional person who thought the performance was less than inspiring for the most part the comments are favorable. But most of the comments on this board are the opposite. I have no opinion as to why that would be, it's just an observation.

I've only watched the video once and I didn't necessarily care for the falsetto either. For the purists out there, the strum was not that classic reggae strum we associate with the song but as a whole I don't think the performance was all that bad. I agree with Seeso that I don't think for this particular performance that he was "feeling" it. He may have during practice, playing at home etc. but on that stage in front of those people and all of America he was not "in the zone". Happens to me every time I hit the record button:(.

I'm going to give it another listen.

NukeDOC
04-09-2008, 08:53 AM
this is just my opinion... but i think people were so taken aback by the "little guitar" that they totally zoned out his voice haha. im not a great singer. hell, i suck, really. but i try. one thing i do have is a decent ear. i can hear the music, and i can feel it too. i agree with what everyone was saying about not being able to feel the performance.

seeso put it best. it was calculated.

but nevertheless, over the last 6 months or so, there has been a lot of ukulele exposure in the mainstream (considering how widely known it is currently)

we will know that our mission has been reached when we happen to be out in public jamming with friends or alone, and a stranger says to one of us "oh you play the uke. nice!".... instead of "cool little guitar!"

Plainsong
04-09-2008, 09:14 AM
My opinion of it is - good for him. I have nothing against it. So what if he did a different strum? But it would have been cooler if he felt it more because that's what music is. Some of the greatest musicians in the world have bad techniques. :)

But my take on the singing part is like an experienced uke player's critique of the playing. You know your instrument and what went wrong. I was just commenting on what went wrong, but it's nothing personal or elitist or anything like that. :)

russ_buss
04-09-2008, 09:19 AM
can they bring back danny noriega already?!?! it's the dannys and sanjayas that make this show entertaining! other than that, it's watching ryan seacrest and simon cowell trade scripted insults which they try to pass off as witty banter. just sayin...

http://www.americanidol.com/media/contestants/season7/finalists/danny.jpg

studentaccount1
04-09-2008, 10:26 AM
. . . He can only sing those laid back, same rhythm kinda songs . . .

That style is working out pretty good for guys like Jack Johnson and Donovan Frankenreiter.

I thought he did pretty good.

Is it safe to say that Iz is the most influential ukulele player of our time yet?

Dominator
04-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Plainsong, just for the record (in case you were wondering) I'm not a purist and was just pointing out that the strum was different. I hardly ever play that version of Rainbow and I can't do the strum very well either. Making it your own and all about the music is definately an important thing.

I did go back and listen to it a couple more times and I actually think it was pretty good. I think his voice was just fine. It worked out well for him and I wish him all the best.

Poi Dog
04-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Well - whether anyone liked his performance or hated it, one thing is clear...

MILLIONS of people around the world are talking about the ukulele! So I think that's a GOOD thing IMHO. LOL

NukeDOC
04-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Well - whether anyone liked his performance or hated it, one thing is clear...

MILLIONS of people around the world are talking about the ukulele! So I think that's a GOOD thing IMHO. LOL
.... word ....

^^^
yes i cheated by putting the dots for the 10 letter minimum. oh yah and then theres this. ;)

Plainsong
04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
I mentioned on twitter two of my favorite uke shops online, MGM, and Rigk (who's ukes are so underrated)... ya know, in case anyone had a hankering for a uke after watching Idol. :)

Plainsong
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Plainsong, just for the record (in case you were wondering) I'm not a purist and was just pointing out that the strum was different. I hardly ever play that version of Rainbow and I can't do the strum very well either. Making it your own and all about the music is definately an important thing.

I did go back and listen to it a couple more times and I actually think it was pretty good. I think his voice was just fine. It worked out well for him and I wish him all the best.

Nah, I wasn't thinking of you. I was thinking of another uke forum where the attitude is really.. unukulele-like. I know nice guys IRL who hang out there yet put together they can get so elitist that a uke isn't a uke unless it's: solid wood, friction tuners, tuners are at the back (no ears, and no geared tuners), not made in any developing economy, made in Hawaii a plus, or at least custom made... out of either koa or mahogany in that order, and soprano is the only proper size, and only traditional Hawaiian music played.

That's not an aloha spirit IMO, so when such strict stuff is mentioned, I just think of that forum. They wouldn't even allow me to register there, which I count as a Good Thing. I've never asked these friends IRL about why they like it, mostly because I don't want to argue, and you look silly arguing with a uke in your hand. :D

menehunenyc
04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
we will know that our mission has been reached when we happen to be out in public jamming with friends or alone, and a stranger says to one of us "oh you play the uke. nice!".... instead of "cool little guitar!"

You want to hear something funny...3 years back I used to carry around my Hilo soprano everywhere I went. I had just picked up my daughter from school in the DUMBO area of Brooklyn, was walking back to the car when a guy asked me (probably a tourist, ugh!!), 'What is that, is that a piccolo'. Needless to say, I was too aghast and dumbfounded to smack him upside the head. Instead I politely and calmly (in a Charles Bronson sort of way) that 'No, its a ukulele'. I didn't have the strength or the wherewithall to tell him a piccolo is a wind instrument. I like to think the uke has come a bit farther since then.:cool:

davoomac
04-09-2008, 01:16 PM
LOL a piccolo?? hahahaha

By the way you can delete your own posts. I think you just go to edit>advanced and you will see an option to delete at the top.

NukeDOC
04-09-2008, 01:20 PM
You want to hear something funny...3 years back I used to carry around my Hilo soprano everywhere I went. I had just picked up my daughter from school in the DUMBO area of Brooklyn, was walking back to the car when a guy asked me (probably a tourist, ugh!!), 'What is that, is that a piccolo'. Needless to say, I was too aghast and dumbfounded to smack him upside the head. Instead I politely and calmly (in a Charles Bronson sort of way) that 'No, its a ukulele'. I didn't have the strength or the wherewithall to tell him a piccolo is a wind instrument. I like to think the uke has come a bit farther since then.:cool:

wow. kinda like when i was fishing in san diego bay and a tourist comes up to me and says to me "are there fish in there?"

i was sooooooo tempted to reply with "nope. just takin my pet shrimp out for a walk... here's your sign."

Plainsong
04-09-2008, 02:38 PM
My husband thinks piccolo is easy to play because it's small, and handy because you can put it in your pocket. I don't have the heart to tell him it isn't easy (for me anyway), and the expensive ones are ..well you wouldn't want to put them in your pocket.

Pet shrimp out for a walk... :D

This reminds me of a Mad magazine article - Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions.

davoomac
04-09-2008, 02:47 PM
My husband thinks piccolo is easy to play because it's small, and handy because you can put it in your pocket. I don't have the heart to tell him it isn't easy (for me anyway), and the expensive ones are ..well you wouldn't want to put them in your pocket.

Pet shrimp out for a walk... :D

This reminds me of a Mad magazine article - Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions.

carry it in your coat sleeve perhaps? THat way you can break out your jazz piccolo playing anytime. :D

Plainsong
04-09-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm imagining Ron Burgandy and his jazz flute right now. :D

drubin
04-09-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm imagining Ron Burgandy and his jazz flute right now. :D

LOL! Ah, the great Ron Burgandy; there will never be another! ;):D:rolleyes:

Dino
04-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Like I had posted earlier, there are lots performances of this song and here are some examples from youtube.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=zS7COLdRxT8

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-3JZTVmHjs

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=aJdIWT3OlbE&feature=user

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qNbY92MuNb8&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=6m5_eX8MCE8&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xtn2oK9m_eo&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gW1I6hRihn4&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1dAU_KbuG3E&feature=related

I'm still trying to understand some of the negative comments about Jason's performance. I still think he did a pretty good job. For all we know, Jason is a member of UU and we don't even know it. I've found that the world is actually a small place and that there is a good chance that someone you meet, knows someone you know. If someone posted a video here and it was okay or bad, would you go bashing him or her in the forums? I think most would pretty much say nothing.

If Jason's performance was so bad, how about some videos of UU members singing and playing this song. Now that would be interesting.

One question that comes to mind is how long do they have to practice the song? Maybe one week? Pretty good if thats all the time he had. Like Rayan had said earlier...its exposure....for IZ, the ukulele and Hawaii.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow just made the top 100 viewed songs on Tropical Storm Hawaii.

menehunenyc
04-09-2008, 05:53 PM
One question that comes to mind is how long do they have to practice the song? Maybe one week? Pretty good if thats all the time he had. Like Rayan had said earlier...its exposure....for IZ, the ukulele and Hawaii.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow just made the top 100 viewed songs on Tropical Storm Hawaii.

Touche Dino, very well put.

Vroom
04-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I was extremely upset when they said it was so amazing.. because it wasn't. it was a good performance, but not amazing. and it was good mostly thanks to the ukulele. If he had just sang it, without the uke, he would have gotten a

"you know what... i didnt really get it dude nawww nawww didnt get it duuuude but ur a'ight keep tryin " from randy

and a "I love and you are so good with your charm but it wasnt your best performance you should have done it with your guitar" from paula

and a "that was absolutely terrible. are you sure you know how to sing?" from simon

and the audience would all boo at them because they think hes unique and cute with his dreadlocks and creepy eyes and really weird facial expressions as he sings.

ya thats pretty much AI in a nutshell haha

dakine2009
04-09-2008, 10:15 PM
i thought he butchered that song...
at least the ukulele is getting exposed to the rest of america.
=D

E-Lo Roberts
04-10-2008, 06:06 AM

I'm with Dom, it worked for the judges, the audience and myself. Bottom line is that Jason is one more supported of the uke vibe and should be given kudo's for that. He's really a guitar player like myself that gave it a shot on the ukulele. Probably just picked it up for that song. From personal experience I can relate to trying to quickly woodshed the guitar strumming technquies to a uke strum. Totally different skill and will take him some time to master if he continues to play that "little guitar". Good luck to him and a big thumbs up for helping spread the love of the uke to millions of new listeners. Peace and peanut butter! e.lo...

Ame
04-10-2008, 06:31 AM
Like I had posted earlier, there are lots performances of this song and here are some examples from youtube.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=zS7COLdRxT8

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-3JZTVmHjs

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=aJdIWT3OlbE&feature=user

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qNbY92MuNb8&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=6m5_eX8MCE8&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=xtn2oK9m_eo&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=gW1I6hRihn4&feature=related

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=1dAU_KbuG3E&feature=related

I'm still trying to understand some of the negative comments about Jason's performance. I still think he did a pretty good job. For all we know, Jason is a member of UU and we don't even know it. I've found that the world is actually a small place and that there is a good chance that someone you meet, knows someone you know. If someone posted a video here and it was okay or bad, would you go bashing him or her in the forums? I think most would pretty much say nothing.

If Jason's performance was so bad, how about some videos of UU members singing and playing this song. Now that would be interesting.

You make some good points, but regardless of how long they had to practice it, he still wasn't good enough. He has never really been "good enough" In my honest opinion. I'm an avid AI watcher. Watched every season but not so much the 2nd.. No one was too great and hell, Ruben Studdard won, WTF.
Anywho, the contestants probably do get a week or even less to learn a song, but that is no excuse. in Hell week before they had to learn a song in 24 hours! but this time around that wasn't the case, therefore Jason didnt even have to go through that. If you dont know you're song.. you're pretty much screwed. Thankfully, Jason DID know his song and did a somewhat decent job. From what I've seen this season, his problem is his personality, or rather lack of. He doesn't have much of a stage presence per se, but is the laid back kinda guy. He's only gotten by because people saw him as "different" (it's the dreads. I swear.) and that for one, isn't something different to me, maybe for AI it is.. but eh, nothing THAT special. Ohhh his eyes are nice.. uhh ok, and? The only songs he has shown capability of singing are the laid back, chill, same rhythm kind of songs. No lie. Check out pretty much all of his performances and you'll see. After seeing his "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" take, it just didn't compare to the Kimberly Locke or Katharine McPhee on AI. There's were so much more powerful, esp. Kat's. but I guess they're not the same version, so I shouldn't even be comparing them; but I just can't foget those performances because of their powerful voices. I don't know I guess I hold a grudge against Jason because he STILL hasn't shown or proven why he should still be in the comp. The only thing he has going for him is his dreads and "charm" (and that doesn't necessarily count for stage presence.) which people love apparently. Yea, I got beef with Jason and Kristy Lee Cook. </end AI7 rant of the day>

Sorry it's so long, but I get really opinionated when talking about AI. haha
Oh and BTW, this IS just MY opinion so don't kill me for not liking his performance. He was good, but NOT as AMAZING as the judges thought. He's still not good enough to be there. That's just my 2 cents. xP

seeso
04-10-2008, 07:08 AM
I'll be the first to admit that Mr. Castro is a better singer than I. That still doesn't take away my right to critique his performance of the song.

It's a song that I hold in the highest regard.

I'll also admit that as soon as I heard the first chords I smiled wide and said to myself, "No way. He's playing Bruddah Iz? On an ukulele? That's awesome!"

In fact, the first thing I did was start this thread to let everyone know that it was happening.

As the song went along, and especially when he went to that falsetto, I quickly tuned out. It wasn't because I thought that he shouldn't deviate from what Iz did. I think that any cover should be done with the intent to perform the song in one's own distinct style. Rather, it was because I didn't feel that he was connected emotionally to the song, and he resorted to the same old American Idol shallowness.

I applaud him for trying that holy grail of ukulele songs, and I applaud him again for doing it with an ukulele. But that's where my applause stops.

studentaccount1
04-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Isn't he the guy who sang the Leonard Cohen/Jeff Buckley song?

I am not a singer, but I am a Jeff Buckley fan, and I am pretty that that one isn't exactly easy to sing convincingly. When I saw it on youtube I thought he sounded great.

oh well...

backdoc972
04-10-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm a new poster here. Kinda surprised by the unfavorable impressions of Jason. I also believe he is the weakest of the current bunch vocally, but the more I listen to his performance tuesday night, the more I like it. And you have to give him credit, it was an incredibly brave thing to pick a song like that and play a uke on a show that is obviously pop oriented.

I also know that the judges are not supposed to know the performance choices ahead of time, so how would Simon know who Bruddha Iz is?

Anyway, I am more of a guitarist, but since seeing that performance Tuesday, I have been having a ball with my uke again and that can't be a bad thing.

Anyway, I am a forum junkie, I spend time on harmony central electric guitar forums and I race pit bike motocross, so I spend time on those forums, so why not add another! Peace guys!

studentaccount1
04-10-2008, 02:53 PM
I also know that the judges are not supposed to know the performance choices ahead of time, so how would Simon know who Bruddha Iz is?

I think he said that someone showed it to him on the internet.

Actually, when I was in school on the mainland I was surprised how many people knew about Iz and his music.

Dino
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
You make some good points, but regardless of how long they had to practice it, he still wasn't good enough. He has never really been "good enough" In my honest opinion. I'm an avid AI watcher. Watched every season but not so much the 2nd.. No one was too great and hell, Ruben Studdard won, WTF.
Anywho, the contestants probably do get a week or even less to learn a song, but that is no excuse. in Hell week before they had to learn a song in 24 hours! but this time around that wasn't the case, therefore Jason didnt even have to go through that. If you dont know you're song.. you're pretty much screwed. Thankfully, Jason DID know his song and did a somewhat decent job. From what I've seen this season, his problem is his personality, or rather lack of. He doesn't have much of a stage presence per se, but is the laid back kinda guy. He's only gotten by because people saw him as "different" (it's the dreads. I swear.) and that for one, isn't something different to me, maybe for AI it is.. but eh, nothing THAT special. Ohhh his eyes are nice.. uhh ok, and? The only songs he has shown capability of singing are the laid back, chill, same rhythm kind of songs. No lie. Check out pretty much all of his performances and you'll see. After seeing his "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" take, it just didn't compare to the Kimberly Locke or Katharine McPhee on AI. There's were so much more powerful, esp. Kat's. but I guess they're not the same version, so I shouldn't even be comparing them; but I just can't foget those performances because of their powerful voices. I don't know I guess I hold a grudge against Jason because he STILL hasn't shown or proven why he should still be in the comp. The only thing he has going for him is his dreads and "charm" (and that doesn't necessarily count for stage presence.) which people love apparently. Yea, I got beef with Jason and Kristy Lee Cook. </end AI7 rant of the day>

Sorry it's so long, but I get really opinionated when talking about AI. haha
Oh and BTW, this IS just MY opinion so don't kill me for not liking his performance. He was good, but NOT as AMAZING as the judges thought. He's still not good enough to be there. That's just my 2 cents. xP

Very good points....and I agree cause actually I definately think he won't win it. I myself was in awe that he actually used a uke and did a fairly good job. True....not exactly Fabulous like the judges said, but passing grade. I'd like to see what the Makaha Sons say about his performance. haha.

My guess for the winner...do I dare say......Archuleta.

seeso
04-10-2008, 07:31 PM
I'll be the first to admit that Mr. Castro is a better singer than I. That still doesn't take away my right to critique his performance of the song.

It's a song that I hold in the highest regard.

I'll also admit that as soon as I heard the first chords I smiled wide and said to myself, "No way. He's playing Bruddah Iz? On an ukulele? That's awesome!"

In fact, the first thing I did was start this thread to let everyone know that it was happening.

As the song went along, and especially when he went to that falsetto, I quickly tuned out. It wasn't because I thought that he shouldn't deviate from what Iz did. I think that any cover should be done with the intent to perform the song in one's own distinct style. Rather, it was because I didn't feel that he was connected emotionally to the song, and he resorted to the same old American Idol shallowness.

I applaud him for trying that holy grail of ukulele songs, and I applaud him again for doing it with an ukulele. But that's where my applause stops.

Jeez, when did I turn into such a snob douche bag? Please, if anyone sees me act like this again, call me out on my douche-baggery.

He did a fine job. Hooray for the ukulele! Hooray for Jason!

davoomac
04-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Jeez, when did I turn into such a snob douche bag? Please, if anyone sees me act like this again, call me out on my douche-baggery.

we'll help keep you in check from now on ;)

Its all good dude haha

Howlin Hobbit
04-10-2008, 08:03 PM
I really don't like American Idol, just as a concept. Mind you, I've never seen a whole episode, just clips here and there and, of course, I've heard endless natter about it.

As I posted on another forum, I think it does a hell of a good job at squeezing all of the magic out of making music. It seems to want to be somewhere between a game show and an episode of Jerry Springer. Yuck.

Give me the backyard jammers who may or may not be hugely talented but put their heart into it. Here's a great example (http://youtube.com/watch?v=xfhZQRS6zvQ). (Sorry, no ukulele content.) It's the dad, grandpa and wife of the guy doing the videoing. They're not even going to bother with AI or probably even anything more public than an occasional open mike, but they put their all into it. And grandpa (who'd just turned eighty when the clip was shot) just rocks.

My tuppence. Make of it what you will.

Oh yeah, and I'm still of two minds about wanting everyone to go out and get a ukulele. We have whole tiresome brigades of wannabe guitar wankers, I'm not sure we need the same thing to happen to the ukulele.

But then, I'm a cranky old curmudgeon.

But I'm nice to my cats.

tribal_theory1
04-10-2008, 08:50 PM
i think it's cool that they're letting people use instruments this year. yeah his performance seemed simple to us, but the american public is so easy to fool, and it looks like the judges are easy too...even simon? what?! i guess all you have to do to make anyone smile is to break out an ukulele, which isn't really bad at all.

as for the song, i think iz's version could be the reason that more people know or have heard of the ukulele. heck, i even have people asking me to play their weddings and flower shop openings asking me to play that song. i wonder...how many members of the underground got into the ukulele because they heard somewhere over the rainbow/wonderful world on some movie?

Dino
04-10-2008, 09:09 PM
i think it's cool that they're letting people use instruments this year. yeah his performance seemed simple to us, but the american public is so easy to fool, and it looks like the judges are easy too...even simon? what?! i guess all you have to do to make anyone smile is to break out an ukulele, which isn't really bad at all.

as for the song, i think iz's version could be the reason that more people know or have heard of the ukulele. heck, i even have people asking me to play their weddings and flower shop openings asking me to play that song. i wonder...how many members of the underground got into the ukulele because they heard somewhere over the rainbow/wonderful world on some movie?

True.....Finding Forrester.....Meet Joe Black.....not to mention all of the commercials that used it. I actually met the man once a long time ago.

Plainsong
04-10-2008, 09:12 PM
As I remember, they played it on ER when Dr. Greene died.

tori8984
04-12-2008, 02:51 AM
Jason did a good job of singing, his voice is good and he is rarely out of tune or pitchy. Great exposure for the ukulele. This is the easy road to a recording contract. The person who wins a recording contract should not be a guy who can sing just like "insert any artist name here" but someone who can put their own spin on a song. Until he does this he will disappear into hohum land.

KAWIKA27
04-18-2008, 01:10 PM
did anybody catch american idol the other night?
one of the people played over the rainbow on a ukulele

Phil Major
04-18-2008, 04:47 PM

I think you get a pass every now and then for being so willing to jump up and help whoever needs it. If you have a strong impression... I appreciate hearing it since I respect that you know what you're talking about. No harm, no foul!

Landon
04-18-2008, 06:43 PM
The best cover of braddah Iz' cover of over the rainbow that i have seen. Although compared to Braddah Iz, Jason Castro is a nobody.

Plainsong
04-18-2008, 08:40 PM
I don't think Victoria Vox did a bad job at all.

KAWIKA27
04-19-2008, 09:02 AM
meh it killed it for me when he calld it a "U. ka. lay. lee." :mad: it was ok at fist but he just tried to hard to make it his own.

Plainsong
04-19-2008, 09:20 AM
I am so glad John Patterson from Bathys Watches Hawaii clued me in to how you pronounce ukulele before I made that gaffe. :)

Pierre
05-20-2008, 02:56 AM
I'm new new to this forum and as I was reading this thread I found it funny that the guy who won the French version of American Idol was also a uke player and that the judges had also no clue about what a ukulele is (Judge : "this is not a ukulele you've got, ukuleles have metal strings...").

Anyway, here's the "french idol" :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26fcd_jd-cm

Dino
05-20-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm new new to this forum and as I was reading this thread I found it funny that the guy who won the French version of American Idol was also a uke player and that the judges had also no clue about what a ukulele is (Judge : "this is not a ukulele you've got, ukuleles have metal strings...").

Anyway, here's the "french idol" :

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26fcd_jd-cm

So please tell us, what was the verdict. Did he get in? Did they like it? Sorry, I dont understand French.

tori8984
05-20-2008, 06:26 PM
I don't speak french but could have sworn I heard four OUI so maybe he got in.

deach
05-20-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm new new to this forum and as I was reading this thread I found it funny that the guy who won the French version of American Idol was also a uke player ....

He won Nouvelle Star 2007

Julien Dore is his name.

Pierre
05-20-2008, 11:08 PM
That's correct. Prior to entering Nouvelle Star, he had a band called "Dig Up Elvis" : http://www.myspace.com/digupelvis

hawaiianmusiclover06
05-21-2008, 12:28 AM
He only bought the ukulele like a day before he sang Somewhere over the Rainbow. I thought it sounded to poppish in my eyes.

Alana