Looking for a concert ukulele

zoesaysno

Reaction score
I've learned the basics on the Hilo and moved onwards to Lanikai LU-21. After 4 months of practicing.. I just don't like the sound of it. I only have experience with these. I'm not sure how to describe the sound but I want something else. Yes, it's tuned lol

There's not many ukuleles in the guitar shops in my area. :( Just Hilos and maybe one Mitchell (MU70?) So I need little help seeing as I don't have access to a good selection. Is there a certain name I should look into?

You didn't mention what your budget for this is. Aside from that...I would recommend you do some research on YouTube, as you mention the sound is what's important in this decision. Just listen to a bunch of different ukes to find what sound it is you're looking for, then we can probably help identify the uke being used (if needed).

Here's a comparison video that will give you an idea of the sound differences between the various sizes of Kamoa ukuleles (which they sell at the UU store): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ORPxR0t7Pc

Good luck in your quest.

P.S. I recommend Mainland Ukuleles.

Like KC8 says, you should check out YouTube ukulele videos and see which ones you like the best.

Check out this thread. MGM made a vid (just audio) featuring 10 different ukuleles. Listen to 'em and maybe one will standout or appeal to you. The brand names of each instrument is listed here. Forgot to mention the cost range; starting at under a $100 (Makala Tenor) through $900 (Kanilea K-1).

Last edited:
I'm overwhelmed by browsing. I'm still searching and youtube hasn't been loading many videos properly for me. So frustrating! I have managed to watch those and I must say I'm highly interested in that Kamoa Concert.. and Kamoa Mahogany Pineapple Soprano.

I can't decide which one!

My budget is $80-$120.
I just sold my lanikai and i'm already sad. >_>
I could wait a month and pay twice as much as they paid me for it.
I don't know..

a mainland uke would be great but that's way out of my reach.

going for a cheapie one isn't too bad, right?
:[

mainland is a little more than the kamoa, but i really do enjoy mainland's sound. well worth it in my opinion!

I'm overwhelmed by browsing. I'm still searching and youtube hasn't been loading many videos properly for me. So frustrating! I have managed to watch those and I must say I'm highly interested in that Kamoa Concert.. and Kamoa Mahogany Pineapple Soprano.

I can't decide which one!

My budget is $80-$120.
I just sold my lanikai and i'm already sad. >_>
I could wait a month and pay twice as much as they paid me for it.
I don't know..

a mainland uke would be great but that's way out of my reach.

going for a cheapie one isn't too bad, right?
:[

Cheapies can be good, it just depends on the cheapie. Kamoas are good.

I see allot of people knock Mahalo 'ukuleles, maybe I'm lucky but my one and only Mahalo a pineapple purchased 12 years ago sounds great, has great setup, and action straight from the factory, and the intonation is spot on. I've tried several strings over the years but Aquilas really make my Mahalo sing. I'd recommend a Mahalo from my personal experience. :shaka:

What kind of strings were on your Lanikai? Strings make a major difference in how a uke sounds.

Kalas are good for that budget. But if I were you, I'd save up just a little more to have a bit of a wiggle room in getting something like a Ohana or a Kala or even a Flea/Fluke.

Otherwise, I think it's possible you might just just shifting sideways instead of upwards from your Lanikai.

Sorry, zoe, but the sad truth is that for that limited budget, you'll get a uke about the same quality as the one you had. Better to stick with it, save up a couple hundred more and gat a Jenny or something like it.

I wouldn't mind same quality now that I don't have it anymore.
I don't want an electric.

I may just go for the pineapple Kamoa.

I wouldn't mind same quality now that I don't have it anymore.
I don't want an electric.

I may just go for the pineapple Kamoa.

Strings do make a difference as well, like said earlier...

I have the same Lanakai, I put on some Martin Strings (I know sounds cheap...) and it made it sing! Brightened it up even more than my D'Adarios did... Sometimes changing the strings is all you need. I see you are in CA you might be able to find a uke in your area for about the same price. Some places (not guitar center than I know of) will actually restring them for you so you can see how they sound, then when you get the uke you pay for the strings as well... Just a thought!

check out this uke, its solid mahogany which is something you wouldn't find in that price range, if you dont mind purchasing off ebay this might not be a bad choice, also you might want to check local pawn shops, a shop by my house turned out to have a huge selection of kala's. Also, i live in Southern Cali and there seem to be and abundance of ukulele retailers

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Melokia-CON...5566061eb&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_1183wt_1167

Last edited:
Top Bottom