PDA

View Full Version : Question on cost.

Pygrus
04-08-2008, 02:37 PM
First i don't know if this is the best place to put this under so i apologize if it belongs somewhere else.

So i was thinking about getting a ukulele for my birthday, i was wondering how much they cost, i'm not looking for anything expensive, just something i can have fun playing and will sound good. Also what kind is a good for a beginner? All hope is greatly appreciated.

Ukulele_Junkie
04-08-2008, 02:39 PM
First i don't know if this is the best place to put this under so i apologize if it belongs somewhere else.

So i was thinking about getting a ukulele for my birthday, i was wondering how much they cost, i'm not looking for anything expensive, just something i can have fun playing and will sound good. Also what kind is a good for a beginner? All hope is greatly appreciated.

a lot of people ask this question when they first join, i always refer them to the MU-70 mitchell concert jus becuz ur gettin a great sounding and great looking ukulele for the price which is 99.99 and cuz there are guitar centers everywhere. The next step up would always either be a kala or lanikai mostly becuz of their rep for putting out the most consistenly best wallet friendly ukes on the market.

Pygrus
04-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the help.

seeso
04-08-2008, 02:53 PM
The problem with recommending really cheap ukuleles is they don't sound so good. Once you start playing a cheap toy, you might not like how it sounds, and you may give it up.

That said, I don't mind those Mahalo ukuleles at all. They run about $30. They stay in tune pretty well, and you don't have to worry about them falling apart on you.

seeso
04-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Here's a video of someone playing a Mahalo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEucOMPwWH4

tad
04-08-2008, 06:45 PM
a lot of people ask this question when they first join, i always refer them to the MU-70 mitchell concert jus becuz ur gettin a great sounding and great looking ukulele for the price which is 99.99 and cuz there are guitar centers everywhere. The next step up would always either be a kala or lanikai mostly becuz of their rep for putting out the most consistenly best wallet friendly ukes on the market.

See, I have one of those, but I would actually recommend going through Musicguymic and getting a Kala Mahogony for about the same price point or only just a little more-- I like my Kala better, and for that price, MGM will throw in upgraded strings and a case.

JohnBoy
04-09-2008, 05:45 AM
Hey...I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. Got some good advice from UU members and finally decided to go with a Kala Spruce top tenor. I paid $150 from musicguymic and it included a nice case. I have had it fro a couple of weeks and love it. It has fairly good sound for a lower cost instrument, holds it tune well, and has a nice low action. Mike is great to work with.