PDA

View Full Version : Instructional Videos Worth It?

the.ronin
08-05-2009, 07:41 PM
So far I've been learning the uke through sites like this one and YouTube videos. I'm not sure I want to take formal lessons mostly because of time constraints. I was wondering if an instructional dvd would be worth it? If so, any recommendations?

Citrus
08-05-2009, 08:37 PM
I've done some of the DVD stuff. All I can say about it is that it's not nearly up to par with all the stuff that aldrine and the dominator put out.

gotrice415510
08-05-2009, 09:40 PM
there is so much stuff here ad youtube that formal lessons are a waste.... formal lessons are usually slow and u could probably learn everything faster by yourself.

buddhuu
08-05-2009, 10:47 PM
It depends on many things.

I am self-taught on every instrument I play - except fiddle. That was so different to what I was used to that I needed some pointers to get me started. Once I had the basic techniques down, however, I reverted to self-teaching.

If you want to learn some music theory and how to read music, then formal lessons can be very helpful. Another advantage of formal lessons is that the presence of a teacher provides motivation to practice. If lesson day arrives and you haven't done your homework then the panic sets in!

Some people find musical concepts naturally quite easy to grasp, and playing techniques easy to grasp with practice. Those people may well be best suited to self-tuition. Other people need a little more in the way of hand-holding and guidance, especially at the start. Those people may benefit from a few lessons.

Uke is a relatively simple instrument, and as such it is probably a little easier to learn to a fair standard than most others. There are many, many videos online as well as many chord charts, tabs, lyric/chord sheets, online tuners and more.

Some of the DVDs available may be great, but unless you find a good, detailed review, it'll cost you to find out which ones are good and which don't work for you.

Personally, I'd start by working through ALL of Aldrine's lessons (even the ones where you don't like the song!) and by searching Youtube for "ukulele lesson" and "ukulele tutorial".

Those will cost you nothing. If you need more help after exhausting those resources, then maybe consider spending on a DVD or real-world lessons.

Your call. Good luck. :shaka:

molokinirum
08-06-2009, 05:16 AM
So far I've been learning the uke through sites like this one and YouTube videos. I'm not sure I want to take formal lessons mostly because of time constraints. I was wondering if an instructional dvd would be worth it? If so, any recommendations?

If you go to you tube and search for MusicTeacher2009 he is a music teacher and has put over 100 video lessons on for free. You can play along with him, he posts the chords and lyrics. You can even contact him with questions, he will answer you back! This is a pretty good starting point and you will be able to play in a short while, his songs range from easy to a little more diffacult!

Ken
08-06-2009, 06:46 AM
The Weekly Wednesday lessons Aldrine puts out helps immensely too. Like Buddhu said I don't like half the songs Aldrine teaches but by the end of the lesson I've either learned something very useful or practiced something which really challenges me.

08-06-2009, 06:47 AM
there is so much stuff here ad youtube that formal lessons are a waste.... formal lessons are usually slow and u could probably learn everything faster by yourself.

some people learn differently and need that one on one push, those mediums do not provide. so are formal instructions a waste? not at all. to each his own.

Melissa82
08-06-2009, 07:59 AM
some people learn differently and need that one on one push, those mediums do not provide. so are formal instructions a waste? not at all. to each his own.I agree because I am the type that greatly benefits from one on one instruction. Only problem is that I can't find any teachers here.

the.ronin
08-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the responses, all.

Having really taught myself everything I know, it’s a relief to see that is how others have learned to play the uke.

What brought up this question in the first place was that, unlike all those other things I taught myself, one thing I am coming to grips with in learning that uke is that there is no “right answer.” Because of this subjectivity, I thought maybe a formal video lesson might have been worth it to lead me in the general right direction.

As an example, the first song I tried to learn (I touched my first uke less than a month ago!) was Iz’s Over the Rainbow. I thought I had the strum pattern down only to realize upon paying closer attention to the song that it was way off. So I practiced a different strum pattern. Sounded good. Closer inspection. Not quite. Two strum patterns later, I started to realize that even if my strum is a bit off, it sounds good. And that is what makes the uke pretty cool ... the song is what you make of it.

I also realized that this song, although it sounds easy to the untrained ear, is FRIGGIN HARD haha!! Never mind the lower G, tenor uke, 6-finger strum pattern that “brudda Iz” uses. So as suggested, I’m also looking at various lessons from this site and others.

Thanks again!

buddhuu
08-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Now you've got it. :rock: Rock on!

eerteep
08-07-2009, 04:05 AM
there's nothin' like 'ownin' a song' and 'makin' it your own'!
keep on strummin'!
: )
p.

itgoesbwaaah
08-07-2009, 09:17 AM
question on strum patterns. i got a basic one that i cant seem to break away from. its down scratch up up up down up. for some reason i cant teach my hands to learn anything other than the first one i learned (previously mentioned). im a fairly new at this. the only song i can play a little bit of so far is drop baby drop, and that is only the strum portion. i cant really check out videos as most of my practice is done at work. got any tips for me.