Looking To Buy My First Uke

Can't speak for those.

However, I totally recommend the Makala Dolphin as a cheap starter ukulele.

Look here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kala-Makala-m...m1c0ba9affe&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_536wt_690

These are real, playable instruments that sound quite decent once you fit good strings (Aquila work great on these). Be aware that you will probably need to make a couple of simple adjustments to get a cheap ukulele into a properly playable state, but you'll find plenty of help with that here on UU if you need it.

So, my vote is for the Makala, if that's the level your budget will reach. It's a tried and trusted, fun entry-level uke from the Kala company. They are very easy to find in the UK. I have a couple of them.

Good luck.

I think buddhu made a very good recommendation.

Even better, if you buy from MGM Music, you're guaranteed to get an instrument that is properly set up with upgraded strings.

Here's a really nice one to start on (Makala Soprano). If that's out of your budget, they also have those Makala Dolphin Sopranos if you browse his store.

I've never heard of those "Martin Smith" ukes... but it looks like it has Friction tuners.
Frictions tuners on a cheap uke like that might be a nightmare D:

Last edited:
I wish customs and taxes made it less difficult/expensive for us in the UK to buy from fine people like MGM.

I suspect the OP may be in the UK, as the page linked showed the price in £GBP.

If that is the case, shipping and (maybe?) customs/taxes costs may make the purchase of a budget uke from the USA impractical.

Top Bottom