Best way to pack an ukulele for the mail.

thomas

Reaction score
I have packed and sent some ukuleles recently. I feel like I may be a little paranoid and going overboard with packing, especially on the one today. One box with cardboard tubes on the side and another box in between the tubes with foam and bubble wrap and then the ukulele wrapped in cloth. The box weighed about 9 pounds, the ukulele maybe 1.5.

How do you pack your instruments to ship them?

Thanks in advance,
Thomas

You can't ever be too careful, IMO. I've received ukes thru the USPS that were damaged due to the lower primates that apparently work in the postal system's ill handling.

It's even worse when sending to other countries. I know that Canadian customs are fiends with fragile packages from personal experience.

It's best to pack a uke in a ukulele case in a box. If no case, then in a box WITHIN a box. Leave plenty of room on all six sides to add packing peanuts or bubble wrap between the boxes.

Lots of packing material and double boxed. Personally, I think investing in the less expensive foam cases would be a good idea - pass the cost along in the price of the uke. A uke in a case in a box with plenty of packing peanuts or bubble wrap all around should be well protected. Fortunately, the best packing materials are also the lightest!

I ship in an oversized double box with lots of crumpled kraft paper (available in large rolls at Home depot) for padding and a WELL fitted case. A case is a must, even the zippered ones are cheap enough for shipping purposes. The zippered cases can provide for a sloppy fit sometimes so if there is any movement of the uke inside the case it's also a good idea to add some padding around the uke, especially in the neck area. Although I don't recommend it, I once had someone ship me an ukulele from Japan that was packed only in the case, no box! The uke was fine.

I'm doing a video on it tomorrow. I have boxes made for me ($3 each) and use polystyrene foam to make a stomp proof box. Keeps the weight down and the instrument protected.

ship in two boxes... also stay away from peanuts! THEY SUCK!

pool noodles man! only way to go! line the box containing the uke with pool noodles top bottom sides etc... cut stips about 6in long then cut the noodle in half so u have like a half circle... now with the second box it should be slightly larger... large enough to put more pool noodles in and secure the box containg the uke.... make sure that the uke has no room to move!!! also write fragile EVERYWHERE! hahahaha

I see you have NEVER done this before! The posty reads 'FRAGILE' as 'throw me across the depot then jump on me' :eek:

All that sounds like more work than building the uke itself. I'll stick to putting it in a good case and shipping that in a double box with plenty of kraft wrap. Takes 10 minutes. I've shipped 200 ukes in the past five years this way without a problem. (Knock on koa.)

Top Bottom