how do i get more confident in front of the camera?

sirmadboy

Reaction score
hi i really want to get more confident in front of the camera so i can post more on you tube (and sing) could any one help?

:anyone:

Just lose your inhibitions! Or do what I do and just have a few beers first :D

If all else fails, watch deach's channel and realize that you cant go any lower that that! (i keed, i keed - mahal kita, kuya deach!)

In all seriousness, just have fun and dont worry what ppl will think of u. Everyone talks so much trash on the net, that none of it should phase you. As long as at least one person enjoys your music, then its worth the time. That's my outlook on it.

Another way to build confidence (and learn) is to play with other ppl. You will overcome your jitters and you can gain something from them that you might have not thought of yourself.

Hope these words helped - now lets see some vids! -- the vision of deach without a shirt is still engrained in my head! Ohhhh!

:eek: I cant get myself yet to upload the damn video i made too. So i prolly deach it out and see what happens :D :shaka:

:eek: I cant get myself yet to upload the damn video i made too. So i prolly deach it out and see what happens :D :shaka:

What the f** does that mean? (sorry seeso)

:p How would i know... *off to watch deachs youtube shenanigans*

:confused: I hope Mr deach aint mad at me now, i was just poking fun. I watch a whole couple of your videos deach, and i would be ever so happy to have half of your voice and talent. i really think you sing great, lots of heart and soul there. i like that better then 100% shiny polished pop any day man. :)

Dude... it's just a camera. An electronic gizmo. It's not gonna laugh at you, make fun of you, make rude noises when you play, get up to go to the bathroom, nothing.
Turn it on and start noodling around on your uke. Forget the camera's running.
Play a couple of things you know really well. Play some you don't know as well. Sing a bit if you like. Don't just record something designed to be a performance ready piece and don't just play one song and then watch it. Just play as if the camera wasn't there. When you have about 10-15 minutes worth, go back and see what you have. Find the best song and then make a little vid of just that.
If it sucks, think about WHY, and re-record over it, fixing the mistake. Repeat as necessary. Then post it for us to see!

What i personally do is, if I'm just playing the instrument, I make sure you can see both my hands and the full length of the instrument, usually my head off screen.
But if I'm singing, I make it so you can see like my mouth at the top of the screen and the rest of focus is on the uke/guit. Because I don't wanna show my full face on cam you see.

What i personally do is, if I'm just playing the instrument, I make sure you can see both my hands and the full length of the instrument, usually my head off screen.
But if I'm singing, I make it so you can see like my mouth at the top of the screen and the rest of focus is on the uke/guit. Because I don't wanna show my full face on cam you see.
This is good advice. I think a big part of the inhibition of playing on camera is the fear of being recognized and ridiculed and then having that be something that could forever haunt you on teh intarwebs.

So, record yourself focusing on your playing (your hands and the instrument) because that's what most people want to see anyway. Choose a youtube moniker that isn't going to clearly identify you by your real name. Then, as you post more and get some positive comments, your confidence will grow.

At least that's what I'm counting on if I ever get that far. :)

I posted my first (and only so far) MP3 here after having played for only a few days. I listen to it now and can honestly say it sucked. But the encouragement I was given was a huge boost to making me want to make it better.

Remember what your mama used to say about "if you can't say something nice..." Saying something like "That's a great first effort, keep it up!" can make all the difference in the world to someone starting out. :)

one take krabbers

just do what i do.
keep the camera rolling
and say before every try, " right im gonna try this in one take"

then when you are happy with what you have post it and say
"i did this in one take hope ya like it"

perhaps a little acting would help...?

Start by acting. That is, try not being yourself, be a silly version of you, or a serious version of you, or pretend to be someone else altogether. Do it over the top, and then tone it down as you get more comfortable at it. Sometimes it's just easier to be someone else. I remember my basketball coach having me pretend to be this bad mo fo on the opposing team we were about to play, so we could work on the guys who would be covering him. I had fun cleaning up on them, and they were better ball players than I was, but right then, I was the bad mo fo on the other team, so look out! And remember, on YouTube, you can be anyone you want, and no one will know the difference.

Last edited:
Dude... it's just a camera. An electronic gizmo. It's not gonna laugh at you, make fun of you, make rude noises when you play, get up to go to the bathroom, nothing.
Turn it on and start noodling around on your uke. Forget the camera's running.
Play a couple of things you know really well. Play some you don't know as well. Sing a bit if you like. Don't just record something designed to be a performance ready piece and don't just play one song and then watch it. Just play as if the camera wasn't there. When you have about 10-15 minutes worth, go back and see what you have. Find the best song and then make a little vid of just that.
If it sucks, think about WHY, and re-record over it, fixing the mistake. Repeat as necessary. Then post it for us to see!

This is great advice. The more you do it the more comfortable you will be.

Start by acting. That is, try not being yourself, be a silly version of you, or a serious version of you, or pretend to be someone else altogether. Do it over the top, and then tone it down as you get more comfortable at it. Sometimes it's just easier to be someone else. I remember my basketball coach having me pretend to be this bad mo fo on the opposing team we were about to play, so we could work on the guys who would be covering him. I had fun cleaning up on them, and they were better ball players than I was, but right then, I was the bad mo fo on the other team, so look out! And remember, on YouTube, you can be anyone you want, and no one will know the difference.

More good advice. Pretending, acting, and imitating are great ways to learn.

Best thing of all: when things fall apart no one else has seen it. Post what you are comfortable with.

Top Bottom