What would you pay...

ed531

Reaction score
It seems that companies like Kanilea, G String, Kamaka, Koaloha and Collings make 4 string ukes that cost between $800 for the basic no frills model to $3200 for the full custom models (binding, inlays, etc).

My question is... if you were given as much as $3200 to buy ONE uke (only ONE). Would you go all out and get the $3200 uke ? Or would you think, "This uke is too fancy looking and cost too much money that I'm afraid to play it, scratch it or bring it outside." Would you get a $1600 Uke that's semi custom (some binding here and there) or would you get an $800 no frills uke ?

Assuming of course that you bought the UKE on the web and are unable to play it before buying it.

My answer is I probably go all out and get a $3200 uke... because no one has that uke. But if I actually had $3200 for a uke, my answer might change.

I'm trying to resist UAS as much as possible and I want to improve my playing before I upgrade my Uke. Once I'm worthy of a nice Uke I'll get one :D.

I'd probably get the $800 no frills Uke.

100% blow the lot on a Moore Bettah ukulele, more bling than you've ever seen so much bling you need sunglasses on to play it!! I'm getting excited just thinking about having that much money to spend on a uke! LOL!

I'd spend roughly half of that getting a semi-blinged Moore Bettah, and the rest of the money on some talent. :D

I'd spend roughly half of that getting a semi-blinged Moore Bettah, and the rest of the money on some talent. :D

Well, that's the thing... you can't use what you didn't spend on anything else.

It's basically a matter of would you go for that extra bling just because you had more $$, knowing that it's not going to make the uke sound better. Just make it more custom...

I ask this question because I've been looking at the ukes available online and I search by highest price first. Then I wondered, well what's the difference between this $$$ and this $ uke from the same company. Didn't seem to be much...

i would choose the best sounding `ukulele.

You can't, you have to order it online... how would you know which one is the best sounding ? You can only order it once, no returns...

It would have to be a uke that first sounded good...Nothing is more disappointing to me than a wonderfully handcrafted ukulele that has only mediocre sound in the high range.
I just had a chance to review two beautiful ukes from an apparently well known independant small one man operation guitar maker who commands very high prices for his guitars. As beautiful and well made as these were I would not pay the prices he was asking for his ukuleles as although craftsmanship was world class the sound wasn't.....

I would grab me a kala f-hole and save the rest of the kala, even if I could afford it i wouldn't pay 3200 for a uke, probably around 6 bills at the most.

Can I buy two?

Can I buy two?
No, you can only buy one.

MGM is probably the most knowledgeable person to answer this question judging by his experience and answer...

You can't, you have to order it online... how would you know which one is the best sounding ? You can only order it once, no returns...

you buy from somebody that has those `ukulele and have them play all of them on the phone for you or provide sound bites ala MGM. why have a blam `ukulele if only going be one wall hanger?

if i had my choice would be `oiwi `ukulele. dave's won UGH best sound a couple times so get strength and rep. could be bare bones but if the buggah sound `ono to me, well worth whatever i pay for it

Fun question to think about. I keep weighing it out in my head.

I had a little bit of this "problem" a while back as I was given some money to do something special with, which of course I wanted to use to buy a uke. I could have bought something custom, and looked on the web at lots of beautiful high end ukes. After a while I found that I kept cruising the net late at night looking over and over at pictures of KoAloha uke's. When I did hold one it made my heart jump!

I am not a flashy guy. For me simple = beautiful. However, I know that for some people beautiful binding, inlays, and other bling makes their heart sing....which is what they should have.

Thanks for posing the question, had me off in fantasy land for a while!

if i had my choice would be `oiwi `ukulele. dave's won UGH best sound a couple times so get strength and rep. could be bare bones but if the buggah sound `ono to me, well worth whatever i pay for it

Would you have oiwi make a uke for you or buy one he's already made and play the uke for you via youtube ?

I think I would probably buy something that was already made instead of having one made for me, I think it would be riskier to buy something that you imagine one way and the builder imagines it a different way.

If I had $3200 to spend on a uke, I'd use most of the money to fly to Hawaii to buy it. :D

JJ

The price difference just isn't in the bling. The higher price should also allow you to have a better choice of wood and materials as well as some functional upgrades like radiiused fret board, bound fret board, some electronics, side sound port, perhaps some "designer" tuners, etc. Your also getting a one of a kind instrument that also imparts some of the soul and character of the builder FWIW.

Would you have oiwi make a uke for you or buy one he's already made and play the uke for you via youtube ?

I think I would probably buy something that was already made instead of having one made for me, I think it would be riskier to buy something that you imagine one way and the builder imagines it a different way.

i'll take any of kawika's used `ukulele.

The price difference just isn't in the bling. The higher price should also allow you to have a better choice of wood and materials as well as some functional upgrades like radiiused fret board, bound fret board, some electronics, side sound port, perhaps some "designer" tuners, etc. Your also getting a one of a kind instrument that also imparts some of the soul and character of the builder FWIW.

Oh I agree, and I'm not disputing that a uke shouldn't cost $3200 if there's a lot of work done on it.

BTW, when are you going to make another Bamboo Tenor ? :D:D

But isn't that why people asked you to make the "Your Not So Basic Uke" ? You use the same good wood, but less bling ?

Last edited:

I agree, i would love to know that me and only me had that one ukulele, designed in my mind and brought to life by a true artist.

ed531;18885 But isn't that why people asked you to make the "Your Not So Basic Uke" ? You use the same good wood said:
Yes, to be more competitive in price with the big Ks. But even those models go beyond "basic" (hence the name "Not So Basic") to include full body and headstock binding, rosette, headstock inlay, etc. Most custom builders I know also offer a basic ukulele. You may not often see these because we like to showcase our top work on our websites.

Last edited:
Top Bottom