Replacing the nut?

NatalieS

Reaction score
(I promise I did a search first, but it's hard to search for "nut" b/c it's 3 letters in length)

I bought a used Pono mango baritone several months ago. I love it, but it has significant buzzing when I fret the first 4 frets, on all strings. After looking closely I think the nut is just sanded too low. The strings barely clear the frets until about the 5-6th fret where the buzzing stops. I've tried two different sets of strings (Koolau gold and Aquila) with no improvement.

Also, the D string has snapped twice at the nut, so I think there's a sharp edge on it somewhere.

Can I just order a replacement nut from Koolau??? I read a thread about replacing the nut and saddle but sanding my own grooves seems like a difficult undertaking. Does anybody make a pre-cut and sized baritone nut, preferably the one that Koolau stocks on its ukes? I'm so clueless about this...

Unfortunately, except for possibly the string breakage, the nut isn't the problem. Once you fret a note the nut is out of play. Unless you can confirm that it's "back buzz" coming from between your fingers and the nut.

Check for neck relief and saddle height instead.

Dave, thanks for the advice! You made me start thinking about other options and I ended up emailing Koolau / Pono. They emailed back in record time, advising to adjust the truss rod. I did and it improved the buzzing drastically. There is still a slight buzz on one of the strings if I really strum it hard, but I'm impressed with the improvement. I had no clue the truss rod would play such a big role in the problem I had.

Thanks again!

I had no clue you had a truss rod. That's exactly what it's there for.

Dave to the rescue!

sdmovcvr.gif

I had no clue you had a truss rod. That's exactly what it's there for.

Good to know! In my stupidity I was about to start taking that uke apart, lol. Whew. Now all I need is for my new (unwound) string set to get here so I can replace that broken string!

Top Bottom