Discovered a fellow uke player today :-)

NatalieS

Reaction score
in the most unlikely of places!

I was at school/work (at the veterinary college) and there was an awards ceremony in the afternoon. The program listed that one of the professors was going to be providing musical entertainment at the beginning and end of the ceremony. I thought, "oh who knows what he plays? maybe guitar?"

Think again! Baritone uke!

If you could picture this man, think Mister Rogers. He is the nicest man with the most pleasant personality, and he has the same wardrobe. He played two songs ("Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and another I didn't recognize). I was tickled to death.

After the ceremony I went up to him and exclaimed that I, too, play uke. He has an old careworn Favilla baritone, and he said that thing helped him get through vet school years ago. I can agree, because playing uke is the best stress reliever I can think of. So we chatted for a few minutes about that. We both had huge smiles on our faces, and thought it was awesome that each other played too.

Isn't it nice to find another uke player in the most unexpected places! It absolutely made my day...

Nice story. My ukes are helping me through med school now.

Great story-thanks for sharing!

Reminds me of one time where I was between classes and decided to sit around campus on a nice day and play uke. Somebody walked by and said "Nice uke, I have a baritone one" I I said "awesome dude" and then he walked off in a hurry. Made me sad. But yeah I'm gonna be at the SE get together too, and I might be able to bring 2 more people with me.

Top Bottom