How to pack a ukulele

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
If you have already learnt how to suck eggs, seen paint dry and have learnt all the 'old tricks' don't watch this video. However, if you have ever wondered how to get a soprano ukulele securely packed up at under 1kg then this is for you.

have you every thought about making your own boxes? I'm pretty sure you can buy a flat of uncut cardboard for pretty cheap.

It's what I used to do and because it takes about 15 minutes to handcut a cardboard box (15 minutes = $15US) it just isn't woth the effort. These boxes are precision cut and making them yourself requires a huge flat area to work effectively. They are CNC cut which means the program rationalises the cardboard usage to get the best and cheapest reult.

I used to go to the local music shop and get discarded guitar boex but they still require 10 minutes work, plus the hour away from the workshop and fuel in tha car to get there...

Petah, I appreciate your suggestion. All in all, it makes no business sense to use my skills losing money making boxes. And this is a real case in point. I charge £15 shipping for my instruments in the UK or $45 International. Now if we do the sums you can see how I lose money on the deal:
  • 15 minutes to pack + 20 minutes at the post office = $20 labor costs
  • For the box, styrene, bubble wrap and tape = $8
  • Shipping and insurance IN THE UK + $20
  • So to ship one of my little soprano in the UK it costs me before postage $28
  • Including postage that's $48 :uhoh:
So how do you think the client would take it if I said shipping in the UK is going to cost $48 or £30? How would my international clients take it if nearly 15% the value of the instrument is added for shipping?

Rant over :biglaugh:

just what I needed

Thanks Pete,
I am getting ready to ship a uke soon and that was just what I needed.
Mike

Pete, I'm waiting for the egg sucking video.

Mike, Since you are in Alaska (or any seaport location like Seattle) they make the perfect box for shipping ukes. They are they kind they sell and ship fresh fish in. They have a 1" thick molded styrofoam insert with lid that fits snuggly in the box. Even the used ones I've seen are perfectly clean with absolutely no odor, but you could probably pick up new ones if you wanted. Any fresh fish outlet or seafood restaurant should have them.

I have a friend in the Shetland Isles who used to make electric violins and used fish boxes as shipping boxes... excellent idea Chuck. I'll do the egg sucking vid for you and email it - it's not for family viewing!

haha, no worries thought it was quicker to cut up a box. And +10000 for the fish boxes. You can also go to a pet store and get the boxes they ship exotic fish in. Same box no fish stink.

also you can go to any restaurant that has fresh fish on the menu. Just ask an independent urban contractor to do the diving for the boxes.

Thanks Pete,
I am getting ready to ship a uke soon and that was just what I needed.
Mike

I bet I know who is eagerly awaiting that uke you'll be shipping!

Top Bottom