Thickness sanding nuts/saddles

Uke-lahoma

Reaction score
I'd like to find out what thoughts folks have on reliably and consistently thickness sanding small parts, such as nuts and saddles. For example, I would like to make a new saddle for a StewMac kit soprano that I have; I have some saddle blanks that are about 1/8 inch thick, but they need to be about 1/16 inch thick.

The obvious way to do this is by rubbing a saddle blank on a sheet of sandpaper affixed to a flat surface. Does anyone have other techniques better suited for removing a lot of material more quickly? Perhaps some sort of jig that you use? I've tried using my disc sander, but getting a consistent thickness is hit-and-miss. (Plus, the disc sander can be a little tough on the fingertips.)

Thanks in advance for your input!

thickness sanding

I use a ground steel plate that I have self adhesive
sand paper on 120 grit.
A good alternative is glass or i suppose plexiglas
thick enough to not warp.

Those marble or corian sink cutouts, that can be had for cheap if not free, are ideal for finish sanding nuts and saddle with sandpaper as Zog pointed out. I rough sand mine by sticking them on a board with double back adhesive and running them through my belt sander but I'm doing a dozen at a time.
Are you sure you want 1/16" thickness for your saddles? Most saddles are 3/32" or 1/8". The extra thickness allows you some room for compensation if necessary and it would also accomodate a pickup element if ever needed.

I can't help much on this... all my saddles are about 2mm thick "in Ebony"..i just use the "Thickness sander" to reduce a piece of top grade Ebony down to 2mm approx: ..and then slice it up into 8mm wide strips on the band saw. they can be anything up to 12" long...and then i cut/shape and sand each peice for the final fit..
I like them to be a tight push fit that makes a squeaky sound as they hit bottom.:eek:ld:

Top Bottom