Ergonomics

It's probably not something that you need to practice by itself. Proper technique will avert most playing related injures. Just don't strain yourself, hunch your back, or bend you wrist in weird ways and you should be fine. If you end up being sore (besides you fingertips) you might want to have a musician watch you play and see if he/she spots anything that could be changed or talk to the doctor.

I find that a Grey Goose Martini just before a practice session loosens me right up. It also makes me think I sound a lot better too!!! :cheers:

If your wrist is straining too much, hold the neck closer to you, nearer to your shoulder. If you look at pictures of classical guitarists, they do the same thing. This way of holding the instrument minimizes the strain on your hands. It's not the most mobile position in the world but after a lot of playing it helps keep your carpals un-tunneled.

If your wrist is straining too much, hold the neck closer to you, nearer to your shoulder. If you look at pictures of classical guitarists, they do the same thing. This way of holding the instrument minimizes the strain on your hands. It's not the most mobile position in the world but after a lot of playing it helps keep your carpals un-tunneled.

I've always found that uncomfortable. I prefer resting it on my knee when I'm sitting, and I use a strap when standing.

also learn to play without looking at the fingerboard. If you twist the uke to face you, you have to reach your hand around the neck that much farther. This is especially true with guitar. Get used to looking at the side of the neck, not the fingerboard.

Keep you wrist straight. My teacher yips at me every time if I don't.

I don't want tendinitis ya know..
Tendonitis is less a concern than obsessive playing until your fingers bleed... and then there are those facial muscles that get sprained from smiling too much.

Okay, seriously.

Relax. Find a comfortable position - sitting is easy for many because you can balance the uke on a leg or in your lap - no strain in trying to hold and strum at the same time. Straight spine, shoulders back, glass of wine within easy reach. Breathe deeply. Then play...​

I find that a Grey Goose Martini just before a practice session loosens me right up. It also makes me think I sound a lot better too!!! :cheers:

I find I sound a lot better if the audience is tossin' back the Grey Goose. ;)

Keep you wrist straight. My teacher yips at me every time if I don't.

I find that if I don't keep my wrist straight and I play a lot of barre chords I will re-awaken age old tendon injuries in my arm. Not good.

It is a strong motivator for keeping my wrist straight.

I've never had problems with wrist or finger problems. Maybe it's because I'm young. Or maybe it's because of the Phiten bracelets that I always wear. They're sort of expensive, but they're also very awesome.

http://www.phitenusa.com/

Like the old joke said, If it hurts when you do that, don't do that. Then there is always, "no pain, no gain" Or as John said: "I got blisters on my Fingers"

Top Bottom