notbaxter

Reaction score
the chords are:
a-0-2-2-5-3-
e-0-1-3-5-3-
c-0-2-2-6-4-
g-0-0-0-5-3-

I put my fingers where?? Thanks.

The letters represent the ukulele strings. The numbers represent the frets.

For the first chord, you strum all the strings without putting your fingers on the frets.

For the second chord, you put one finger on the second fret of the C string, one finger on the first fret of the E string, and one finger on the second fret of the A string.

And so on.

the chords are:
a-0-2-2-5-3-
e-0-1-3-5-3-
c-0-2-2-6-4-
g-0-0-0-5-3-

GCE & A are the strings...so the order in this diagram is the order they would be in if your holding the uke as if your playing it, then tilted towards you so you could see the strings (if that make sense)

The numbers indicate what frets you need to put your fingers on. You read from left to right so strum all the strings, holding none of them down on the fret board (ie open) this is represented by the column of "0" in the diagram,

Next, you strum all the strings again, but this time you hold the C string and the A string down on the 2 fret, ans the E string down on the 1st fret. That is a G7 chord and looks like this:

20_G7.png

The next column of numbers moving to the right represent a G chord, and looks like this:

4_G.png

Then, just keep moving your fingers to the locations shown on the diagram as you read from left to right...

hope that helps...

Edit: Bar the last 2 chords, in other words, lay your index finger across the 5th fret to cover all the strings, then use another finger(ring or middle) to press the C string to the 6th fret..

Last edited:
Thank you. I don't know why I kept reading left to right.

A helpful site you can also use is "http://www.ukulele.nl/". Make sure you set the tuning in the right key (often the strings are tuned GCEA from top to bottom).
You can go with your cursor to the neck of the uke and put "dots" on the fret(s) you need to play. If the combination of "dots" is recognized by the program it will automaticly give the name of the chord. So if you come across TABS without the chords you can use the site to try and find them.

OK this raises a question for me, another beginner.

There are easier ways to play a C7 and a D7 than these.

Is there an advantage or reason for using this method?

Variety. The basic notes are the same, but different "voicing" of other chord fingerings sometimes work better in a particular song.

For example, right now I'm playing a low "G" Tenor Uke. That open low string gets boring after a while, so I find ways to use the low string where simpler fingerings would otherwise suffice. I get funny looks from other Uke players when they play a one finger "C" (0003) and I do a full barre chord (5433) in it's place. Same notes in the mix, totally different effect.

Yea, Dave hit it on the button - those inversion are the same chords, just a totally different sound. Download the chord charts from Live 'Ukulele - shows the basic chord shape and inversions.

Top Bottom