YouTuber's Asking For Chords

Melissa82

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What do you guys think about YouTuber's asking for chords of video's you post? Does it annoy you, do you not care or do you ignore it? Is there a reason you don't or do post them? I don't care myself, it was just an observation I made when browsing video's that almost every video has a request for the chords, lol.

The only reason it bugs me is because like 90% of my videos have a link to download the chords/tabs in the description area. If they ask for the chords, then it just looks like they're lazy.

The only reason it bugs me is because like 90% of my videos have a link to download the chords/tabs in the description area. If they ask for the chords, then it just looks like they're lazy.
Ya, I laugh at those.

Pretty much the same here. It seems that many YTbrs don't bother to click on the "more" link in the video description which often tells them where the tabs are. Can be frustrating at times.

its only annoying when they ask fir the strum patterns on a tutorial vid

It doesn't annoy me in the slightest. One of the things I experimented with when I picked up my ukulele was that I was going to learn as much as I could from the Internet. No face to face lessons. I have been immensely successful in that regard. At least 90% of what I know I got from the Internet. Nothing is free though, and I feel that I have to pay for the knowledge I got by contributing it back to the community. Some of the YouTubers out there might not think to click on the more link to find more information. So you educate him and hopefully he doesn't present that problem to anyone else ever again. I view it as a small price to pay for all the free knowledge I got on an instrument that has enriched my life greatly in the short time that I've been playing.

I never ask for them, and if I do I only do so AFTER I made sure I couldn't find them anywhere else. I don't want to burden someone just because they made a good video.

This is a great observation..
Sadly enough I haven't uploaded any of my uke vids to youtube haha so I wouldn't know how it feels..
If it were to happen to me I don't think I'd be annoyed.
I agree with hooiserhiver. I would think of it as a compliment.
And I love to do what I can for others :]

But I can see how that can be annoying what seeso and dominator was saying.. But I think I'm pretty forgiving for this kind of stuff..

I always post my lyrics, chords and sometimes lead notes. And I'm always asking others to post their original lyrics. I love to chew on and savor them while I'm watching.

(I would never ask, but) I also really like it when people post the lyrics of the covers they do. Must be the word hound in me.

On some of the vids I post of my band I actually invite people to contact if they want the chords.

Some of the songs we do are a little archaic or obscure and not easy to find on sites such as Chordie. Our guitarist is great at transcribing chords - even complicated extended chords. The guy has a fantastic ear.

The one I get most requests for is the old Morecambe and Wise song 'Bring Me Sunshine'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4G1q1bdZq4

The only thing that bothers me is my conscience. It sometimes takes me quite a while to respond to the requests for chords.

When I introduced the "COUP" (Columbus Ohio Ukulele Peeps" to some of my songs, I created PDF files that had the lyrics and chords over them. I either printed copies for everyone in the group or I sent them all an e-mail ahead of time with the files attached or had a URL to download them.

I did not, however, post lyrics on MySpace. I don't have a YouTube account.

I've had chords asked for on two or three videos and i've never provided a link in the side bar so have always felt inclined to help out.

*secretly makes list of people to bug for chords*

Haha, I'm joking. ;)

Top Bottom