Nut/Saddle unusual materials

petah

Reaction score
G10 in place of Micarta? Or how about F14 Carbon fiber? has anyone experimented?

Also could the Punctuation Police get lost ;)

Last edited:
Help us out here. What reason would that be?

Well:

Micarta is identical to Formica it's either made of cloth, paper, burlap.
G10 is also identical to Fromica/Micarta except it's material is glass micro weave cloth.

Densities differ on the material it uses. G10 is more dense, than paper > Cloth > burlap. The binding epoxy used is pretty much the same... It's like the CF epoxy in good materials then, Resin in the lesser quality.

Epoxy does not shatter easily and it has a nice elasticity. Resin Shatters under stress more easily than epoxy.

Hm... my question is really... I have some nice G10 That I want to use as a nut on a uke and I want to know if it's doable.

G10 using glass fibers... How well does it polish up? Will exposed fiber ends add to friction and accellerate string wear? I would think high density is a good thing, as long as it has low friction. Maybe that's why bone, ivory, and even plastic have done so well for so long. Graphtec seems to be going in the right direction using carbon composites to create a self lubricating product. I'm not sure glass fiber is the way to go.

Come to think of it, I have G10 scales on my Benchmade liner lock knife. It gives me a great grip, but I can see the fiber weave in the material. I would guess it wouldn't lend itself well to nut making, but I could be wrong.

If you have the material and the time, maybe you can help answer your own question?

I will give it a go.

Yes on it being very Rough. But when properly polished it is as smooth as glass.
I know Tusq uses Teflon. There is also DLC coating which would be interesting to try out... Imagine a Diamond Saddle:p

Tons of Technology out there to experiment with. :shaka:

I tend to agree with Mr. Moore, but I'm not against trying new things either just in case I might stumble onto an improvement never considered before.

Top Bottom