PDA

View Full Version : Kala Cedar Experience?

seeso
12-27-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey guys.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting one of those new Cedar Kalas. Anyone have any experience with them?

I'm going for a tenor cut-away with active pickup.

I like a more mellow sound, so I figure the cedar with Worth BTs will do the trick.

Here's some pics:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q271/seeso_photos/8077_1.jpg http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q271/seeso_photos/8137_1.jpg http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q271/seeso_photos/7fd3_1.jpg http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q271/seeso_photos/820b_1.jpg

rayan
12-27-2007, 09:21 PM
Hey Seeso, how much does that uke cost?

seeso
12-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey Seeso, how much does that uke cost?

It's got a "buy it now" price of $299 on eBay.

I'm getting either the cedar or the Kala KA-KTE. I'm just scared that the koa will be too bright for me, I like a mellow, warmer sound.

I really wish I could play these things before I buy them. I can't find anywhere in Chicago that sells them. :mad:

rayan
12-27-2007, 10:28 PM
Theres a couple of people here who have the KA-KTE. Maybe one of them can make a video of what it sounds like.

NukeDOC
12-27-2007, 11:09 PM
hey seeso. youve heard my "koa" kala already. the video doesnt quite do it justice though. and sorry i have no idea how cedar is going to be in comparison to the koa.

i can, however compare it to the sitka spruce topped lanikai i have. its a solid sitka top, with ovankol sides and back. this is by far the brightest toned uke i have. and being a six string, its just makes it sound brighter. so im sure this is not what you are looking for. however, from what i just read about it, spruce and cedar have comparable sound velocities. but cedar usually gives a little warmer sound, but not as warm as solid koa.

i wasnt sure before, but now i am. the kala koa series are NOT solid koa. they are laminate. i figured it out when i compared the grain on the inside of the uke to the outside. but coparing 6 string to 6 string, the "koa" uke is much warmer.

hope this helped. but im pretty sure it just made it more difficult. maybe you can email the guy selling the uke on ebay to take a demo video for comparison. all kala: solid spruce, solid cedar, and "koa". are you looking to get it through musicguymic? he might do it. ive seen some demo vids from him on several ukes.

seeso
12-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Theres a couple of people here who have the KA-KTE. Maybe one of them can make a video of what it sounds like.

That's a great idea. Thanks. Would anyone like to make a video demonstrating their Kala KA-KTE for me?

hey seeso. youve heard my "koa" kala already.

Oh yeah, that's right. It sounds great, but it's not the sound I'm going for. I realize 6 strings are going to sound brighter than 4 anyway, but still... something tells me that a 4 string laminate koa is going to sound a little too bright for me.

i can, however compare it to the sitka spruce topped lanikai i have. its a solid sitka top, with ovankol sides and back. this is by far the brightest toned uke i have. and being a six string, its just makes it sound brighter. so im sure this is not what you are looking for. however, from what i just read about it, spruce and cedar have comparable sound velocities. but cedar usually gives a little warmer sound, but not as warm as solid koa.

Thanks for that, man. I think if I'm going to get a koa ukulele, I really want to be able to play it first, and I also want it to be solid koa.

I think what I'll do right now is get the cedar as my intermediate ukulele, then upgrade to a solid koa in the future. That's what I'm leaning towards, anyway. I need to start an ukulele fund. Put $20 a week into a can and a year from now get the best koa ukulele I can afford.

hope this helped. but im pretty sure it just made it more difficult. maybe you can email the guy selling the uke on ebay to take a demo video for comparison. all kala: solid spruce, solid cedar, and "koa". are you looking to get it through musicguymic? he might do it. ive seen some demo vids from him on several ukes.

It helped a lot, dude. Thanks. I'd totally forgotten that I'd heard your koa Kala 6 string. It sounds like it's got a chorus on it. But alas, not what I'm going for.

Yeah, I'm getting the cedar through musicguymic. He's made a video for the spruce, but I haven't found one for the KA-KTE or the cedar.

pakiboy949
12-28-2007, 01:25 AM
ahh seeso, off topic, but i remember seeing some of your videos on youtube a couple months ago. you've got some pretty sick covers from what i saw.

seeso
12-28-2007, 02:06 AM
ahh seeso, off topic, but i remember seeing some of your videos on youtube a couple months ago. you've got some pretty sick covers from what i saw.

Thanks, dude!

seeso
01-01-2008, 11:36 PM
Alright guys, I have purchased the cedar from musicguymic. I can't wait to get it! I'll be sure to post a video to demonstrate its tone for you all.

NukeDOC
01-02-2008, 04:26 AM
wow i cant wait to hear what she sounds like. if its not too much to ask, could you do a comparison between the new uke and your lu-21? sometimes mics dont pick up the actual tone of an acoustic instrument very well. and since i know what the lu-21 sounds like in person, hearing them in comparison will give a better idea of what the new cedar sounds like.

deadeye
01-02-2008, 06:05 AM
i ordered same ukulele yesterday too seeso, like urself im put off by laminated koa - and my guitar friends said ceedars a v.nice wood.

v.exciting :) i bought a low g string for my old lu-21TE today too!

seeso
01-02-2008, 08:41 AM
wow i cant wait to hear what she sounds like. if its not too much to ask, could you do a comparison between the new uke and your lu-21? sometimes mics dont pick up the actual tone of an acoustic instrument very well. and since i know what the lu-21 sounds like in person, hearing them in comparison will give a better idea of what the new cedar sounds like.

For sure man. Consider it done. Well, as soon as I get it.

i ordered same ukulele yesterday too seeso, like urself im put off by laminated koa - and my guitar friends said ceedars a v.nice wood.

v.exciting :) i bought a low g string for my old lu-21TE today too!

Awesome, dude! What kind of strings did you buy?

NukeDOC
01-02-2008, 11:13 AM
if the speed that i got mine is any factor, you should have it on friday or monday.

seeso
01-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Sweet! Can't wait.

KosLooney
01-02-2008, 11:57 AM
I ordered the kala with the spruce top recently..only it's still stuck at the Dutch Customs. Shall see if I can make a video when I receive it.

PS. Love your videos seeso:D

seeso
01-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I ordered the kala with the spruce top recently..only it's still stuck at the Dutch Customs. Shall see if I can make a video when I receive it.

PS. Love your videos seeso:D

I'd love to hear that spruce.

P.S. Thanks a lot, dude!

deadeye
01-02-2008, 02:19 PM
seeso i think worth strings would be best with it

aquila perhaps too bright

deadeye
01-02-2008, 02:28 PM
i ordered a set of aquila also to try both as im pretty new to strings too, but which ever i dont like i can always pop on old tenor.

im actually v.excited, ukes are just too fun

seeso
01-02-2008, 02:39 PM
I just put a set of Aquilas (no wound G) on my tenor. I don't like them! I'm gonna try some Worths on it.

deadeye
01-02-2008, 02:41 PM
I just put a set of Aquilas (no wound G) on my tenor. I don't like them! I'm gonna try some Worths on it.

ah no? what are they like?

seeso
01-02-2008, 02:43 PM
They're just a touch too bright for my tastes, plus they feel a little rough to me. I've just been playing with Hilos since I got the thing. I like those.

Meh. Maybe I'm just not used to them. I'll keep them on for another day or two.

ChiyoDad
01-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I usually find Worth clears to be brighter than Aquilas, especially the hard-tension ones. Give the Aquilas some time before you take 'em off. Geez, it'll probably take at least two weeks for Aquilas to settle.

If you're planning on switching to Worth browns in medium-tension, that's another matter.

seeso
01-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah, they're browns.

NukeDOC
01-02-2008, 07:35 PM
i personally like the aquilas. but i can see how they can seem too bright for some people's taste. if you want even more warmth, try the d'addario pro artes. i just put them on my leolani and they sound real nice and warm. only thing is they dont resonate as loudly as the aquilas. but if youre plugged in, then it doesnt matter. just turn up the volume. hehe.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I usually find Worth clears to be brighter than Aquilas, especially the hard-tension ones. Give the Aquilas some time before you take 'em off. Geez, it'll probably take at least two weeks for Aquilas to settle.

If you're planning on switching to Worth browns in medium-tension, that's another matter.

I didn't really like the aquillas too much... The tone is much too bright and it doesn't really resonate. It's as if the sound is loud for a split second and then fades away just as fast. The tone dies easily and I'm not too fond of that. I guess this is good if you like to strum a lot and get that bright punch.

I look for more sustain and warmth. The worth clears are not bad with this actually. They are like a really skinny version of D'Addario's pro artes. The worth browns were really bright. Not as bright as the aquillas but bright enough to make you cringe every time it's strummed too loud.

Aldrine Guerrero
01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
i personally like the aquilas. but i can see how they can seem too bright for some people's taste. if you want even more warmth, try the d'addario pro artes. i just put them on my leolani and they sound real nice and warm. only thing is they dont resonate as loudly as the aquilas. but if youre plugged in, then it doesnt matter. just turn up the volume. hehe.

I think the sustain on the pro artes are really good. The resonation that you might be hearing is probably due to the fact that aquillas are super bright. it's easier for higher and brighter sounds to travel and be heard. But the thing that I noticed, once the punch has been delivered, the original punch doesn't go through the whole resonance. It dies and at the end of the tone and gets really weak.

Plugged in also makes a difference if you're not careful. A plugged in instrument with crazy highs tend to be ear splitting. Louder just makes it worse. Balance is more important in my opinion. So if I were to use bright sounding strings and instrument, I'd make sure to EQ it so that it doesn't pierce any ear armor.

seeso
01-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, I've had the Aquilas on for a week now. Still don't like them. Aldrine's right, they don't sustain long enough for me and are too bright for my tastes.

grappler
01-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Hey seeso!

Did you end up which ukulele your getting?

seeso
01-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Hey seeso!

Did you end up which ukulele your getting?

I ended up getting the Kala Cedar. It came in the mail today. I'm going to take it out to play tonight, and I'll post my test video in the next couple of days.