Opinions needed.

petah

Reaction score
Lets say you were given a vintage martin/Kamaka.

It is in ok condition but the finish is very worn. To the point where it could be detrimental to the ukes longevity. Also the fret board is ok but could be better.

Now. Refinish or not to refinish.

(I found an old martin that has seen better days and I want to know what you guys would do)

I'm new with ukes but I'm not new to vintage Martin guitars. I came across this situation before where I have an 00-18 model and the finish was not in a very good condition. I asked my repair guy and there were a couple of questions he asked:

1) Is there anything wrong with the sound and playability when I use it? Then he asked me to close my eyes when I play it. -- Am I happy with the sound and how it feels when I play it?

2) If I want to keep its vintage value -- don't touch it (i.e. refinish) as it's value as a vintage item will change a lot especially if you are considering its collector value. The more original without any changes, the better value. Refinishing can also affect its sound (might change its vintage tone to less vintage) -- Pls note, I'm not sure about this last sentence , that's what the repair guy just told me. For collectors and purists, its important to preserve this vintage sound. So it depends on how you look at it, I guess.

3) If the vintage value is NOT important to me and looks are MORE important, then refinish it. If the playability and/or sound is (or will be affected in a bad way), then fix only whatever is necessary.

So it ended that I didn't touch and let it be. It was fine with my eyes closed -- and I didn't regret it. I decided that its original tone was more important to me.

It's lengthy, but I hope this helps.

I agree with Mike

BTW - here is a photo of Willie Nelson's guitar

1046936-md.jpg

A friend of mine has close to 300 vintage Martin ukes, most are in the condition you describe and they all sound wonderful. The evidence of age on these ukes tell a story which intrigues me, even without knowing what the story is. Leave it alone and let it age gracefully and with dignity.

A friend of mine has close to 300 vintage Martin ukes, most are in the condition you describe and they all sound wonderful. The evidence of age on these ukes tell a story which intrigues me, even without knowing what the story is. Leave it alone and let it age gracefully and with dignity.

That good sir, is effin crazy.

Rons, Although Willie's guitar is worn on top, this guitar has been structurally overhauled professionally to ensure it's longevity. Very cool guitar pic...e.lo..

AH Man! Another hero down the drain.

I should add:

The fret board is boarding unplayability.

in my opinion.. if it sounds good.. let it ROCK!! i love older beat up guitars!! i wish mine was that beat it.. and it will be when i am 60! so yeah.. i love the willie nelson guitar..

who can name this guitar..

610x.jpg

so yeah.. if it was mine.. i would not refinish.. i would just let the uke have its MOJO!

in my opinion.. if it sounds good.. let it ROCK!! i love older beat up guitars!! i wish mine was that beat it.. and it will be when i am 60! so yeah.. i love the willie nelson guitar..

610x.jpg

so yeah.. if it was mine.. i would not refinish.. i would just let the uke have its MOJO!

OMG!

Look at the wear!!! who needs sound ports.

i wish he was my friend, also ukulele ocdness would make me play every single one.

610x.jpg

Glen Hansard from Swell Season

Top Bottom