Meet El Cheapo Loco

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
This just came in today my Northern (Chalmers Doane) clone in baritone size. I saw Anna_UK on her "Skylark" Youtube vids and had to have one, just $24.95 on eBay. I ordered bling & strings in advance and they arrived before the 'ukulele did. I added a honu to the headstock, and matching honu fret markers too. The fret board looked dry so I oiled it and the bridge with Wax-n-Feed and now the wood looks like ebony. Finally I chucked the clear kukae strings and put on baritone gcea Aquilas which woke up this laminate top wonder quite a bit. I was REALLY surprised at the quality of the build and finish, and the sound is rather decent, not loud, more mellow but nice. I'm a happy camper with my first baritone this my latest UAS fix. :shaka:

mini-P1010220.jpg

mini-P1010223.jpg

mini-P1010227.jpg

Looks amazingly good, specially for the price! I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on one of the skylarks when they come back into stock

I bought my Skylark back in May for 30 quid from the UK so you are getting a bargain if it is low as 25 bucks

I was under the impression that it was a tenor and not a baritone, at least that is what it was advertised as in the UK at Skylark Guitars and as Sam says they are out of stock at the moment.

Might I ask where you got those small fretboard stickers from? I noticed Anna had placed some dots on her fretboard, but mines is as naked as the day it was born and I would like to put on some markers to help out with fretting.

P.S. Arrrrgh my grandson have logged onto UU before me and I have posted this under his user name... doh!!!

Last edited:
I bought my Skylark back in May for 30 quid from the UK so you are getting a bargain if it is low as 25 bucks

I was under the impression that it was a tenor and not a baritone, at least that is what it was advertised as in the UK

Might I ask where you got those small fretboard stickers from? I noticed Anna had placed some dots on her fretboard, but mines is as naked as the day it was born and I would like to put on some markers to help out with fretting.

Mine was advertised as a baritone and the measurements verify it. Anna also noted that hers was described as a tenor but the measurements on hers also checked out as a baritone. Mine is identical to Anna's except it has no identifying brand marks, that's why I added a honu, to make it my own. :D

The fret markers and other inlay art I get from Japan at Jockomo http://inlaystickers.ocnk.net/info, reasonable price, nice variety, and fast shipping, great service. :shaka:

Mine was advertised as a baritone and the measurements verify it. Anna also noted that hers was described as a tenor but the measurements on hers also checked out as a baritone.

Yes indeed, Ahnko, mine does measure up as a baritone. I've emailed Steve at Skylark, so he may change his website.

I love mine, just something a bit different. I took it to my uke jam and they all were mighty impressed and amused by it :D

I love mine, just something a bit different. I took it to my uke jam and they all were mighty impressed and amused by it :D

Impressed by your talent no doubt. ;)

Aloha Anna, mahalo for helping me decide to get this 'ukulele, I'm having allot of fun with it. :shaka:

I almost picked one of these up, now I just might, when I have the extra cash.

That is way cool, especially your "fancification". I've bookmarked Skylark for the future but do any stores have them in the USA?

The owner of that sight told me via email that they'd have vine stickers for the fretboard...sounded nice!

Can you stand this one on its butt like a Fluke/Flea, or does it topple over? And the tuning, does it work with standard tuning as well? I have always found those Northern ukes to be a bit of an acquired taste, if that's what you call it.

Still, if it's really that good for the money, it must be of a different Skylark company than my first uke, made by "Skylark, Shanghai". In the name of all that's holy... Plywood body, plywood fretboard, backyard-tree-neck, just-push-'em-into-the-headstock-and-they'll -stick-for-a-minute-or-two tuners, action so high you could fly a model plane under the strings. Oh the memories.

Can you stand this one on its butt like a Fluke/Flea, or does it topple over? And the tuning, does it work with standard tuning as well? I have always found those Northern ukes to be a bit of an acquired taste, if that's what you call it.

I have mine standing on my dresser as I type it's back up against the wall. Reminds me of the "Leaning Tower of Pisa" but like the tower it still stands. ;)
As most people who know me know I prefer non-standard shaped 'ukuleles ever since I could remember with Dad's Kamaka pineapple being how a real 'ukulele should look. :cool: I also like the history of the Chalmers Doane 'ukuleles though I haven't been able to find a real Northern here in the US at an affordable (for me) price. "El Cheapo Loco" has scratched my Northern itch.

UkeNinja said:
Still, if it's really that good for the money, it must be of a different Skylark company than my first uke, made by "Skylark, Shanghai". In the name of all that's holy... Plywood body, plywood fretboard, backyard-tree-neck, just-push-'em-into-the-headstock-and-they'll -stick-for-a-minute-or-two tuners, action so high you could fly a model plane under the strings. Oh the memories.

Nah, I think a UK Skylark is a different animal than your Shanghai special. Mine is a exact duplicate of Anna's Skylark except without the Skylark name on the headstock. The action on mine was fine maybe even a tad low, and the frets were burr free, no need for file work. The fretboard and bridge is made from a dark solid wood that resembles Ebony. They must have bought hundreds to be able to sell and still make a profit at $25 each.

Last edited:
Looks really cool, I should look into one of those. Any chance of a sound sample?

Top Bottom