What do you do with old strings?

UkuEroll

Reaction score
I've noticed lots of people changing there strings on there new instruments, I have done this lots in the past, I'm wondering what do you guys do with the old ones? I say old, but the sets I've taken off are like a week old. I've already sent out a spare set to a UU friend, and I think it would be a good way of people trying strings without paying out for something they may or may not like.
At the moment I have 2 sets of Aquila's, one concert and one Tenor, they came off new Ukuleles, and have only been used for days, so any one that would like them PM me you address and I'll send them to you, sorry UK only, but I'm sure there are plenty of you guys over the pond who have strings lying around doing nothing, so why not give them to another UU member to try! BTW they are both high G, only one set per member.
Maybe we should set up a sort of second hand string bank, cos every penny counts toward your next Ukulele.:shaka:

Occasionally I save them, In case one breaks or something. If they're really dead, I just throw them out.

I save the ones I took off from testing, I may try them on the next uke.

The old ones might be good for fishing in very small ponds.

By the way, before removing, I mark the second and fourth strings with a magic marker up in the unused portion, so it's easy to tell all four apart when re-installing.

Last edited:
I offered to send them to other uke players in Germany once (about a dozen sets, either nearly new GHS stock strings that I changed immediately or some used Worths), but noone was interested when I posted that in the German forum.

But they make good toys for cats!

I also give away any swopped-out spares to friends and relatives who buy cheap ukes. I change the strings, do a bit of adjusting, and it's nice to see the reactions. It's not happening very often tho', I guess maybe I'm not buying enough ukes lately. :rolleyes:
Great idea to post up here about spares, and I've sent a pm to you UkuEroll. ;)

I like the 'string bank' idea,especially to help out noobs and
folk bewildered and unsure of which strings they might like!
As to what happens to 'old strings' I normally release them
back into the wild,where they eventually find their way to
the 'Old String Sanctuary' (Registered Charity) where they
will be looked after in their declining years,sharing happy
memories and reminiscences like' I remember when I was
on '*****'s' instrument,and we used to play love songs
together! Look a man can dream,right?

I save my old strings and show them to my wife. I then tell her, "I need to get another uke for these strings." :D

"but the sets I've taken off are like a week old"

:eek: The strings I've tried in my short uke experience take two weeks to fully stretch and stay in tune 5 minutes. Is there some secret technique of the wise old ukers use for fast string tuning?:confused:

I put my good used strings in the package I have taken any new strings out of and then mark what is in there with a pen. This way I can keep track of what strings are there and use them on a future uke yet to be purchased!!

They're also good to have if someone you know wants to try them out.

UkuEroll, you are a gent. ;)
Many thanks - they'll be put to good use and make a novice uker happy. :D
Cheers!

Top Bottom