PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Points & Comments- WHY?

Ahnko Honu
08-09-2009, 09:32 PM
What is the purpose of reputation points for posts, especially the ability to make comments? Can we redeem points at the UU store? I see no constructive reason for it's existence. I think all it does is allows anonymous trolls the opportunity to attack UU members with the most vulgar, racist, childish comments with total freedom and no fear of getting banned since not even the administrators or moderators can see nor remove these comments from what I am told, they have NO control over these anonymous moa kukae posters hiding behind their freedom and anonymity provided by this forum which I think really goes against the aloha spirit and what the 'ukulele should represent.
I say dump the feature, no other forum has it or needs it. :mad:

UkeNinja
08-09-2009, 10:03 PM
I like them, sometimes a behind-the-scenes pat on the back can help remember why I come here. Other times a neg rep comes around and I repent, hit back, or just edit the post a bit if the comment was right.
Trolls will get you whether they dive under the surface or not. A new account is made easily.

Maybe the administrator could shed some light on the anonymity of reps? I do not type my name, whether pos or neg. It's just a policy :)

lisaxy424
08-09-2009, 10:33 PM
I've read other things about reputation points, but how do you know if someone added to yours? Are you notified if someone leaves a reputation message - or do you have to go back to your posts and check? It looks like I'm on "a distinguished path", but that's the extent of my reputation knowledge - I really don't know how to use it properly :)

HoldinCoffee
08-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Are you notified if someone leaves a reputation message - or do you have to go back to your posts and check?

Click the "USER CP" button and you should see a summary of your reputation points.

:cheers:

Ahnko Honu
08-09-2009, 11:55 PM
I like them, sometimes a behind-the-scenes pat on the back can help remember why I come here. Other times a neg rep comes around and I repent, hit back, or just edit the post a bit if the comment was right.
Trolls will get you whether they dive under the surface or not. A new account is made easily.

You can't hit back if this feature allows total anonymity, cowards can say whatever they want and hide behind there monitor. Why hide a pat on the back or a stab in the back, don't be a coward, show your face. This feature let's you use whatever vulgar language you want to with total impunity and these comments cannot be erased by anyone. If you politely and tactfully put an idiot in his place, or a moron is just insecure, and he post an attack via reputation there is nothing to repent about. It's a useless feature that only encourages negativity. I'm not afraid to tell someone how I feel to their face whether it be positive or negative. If too shame to post in the forum say it in a PM at least not in a cowardly anonymous reputation comment. :rolleyes:

Melissa82
08-10-2009, 05:57 AM
I've only had nice comments left on mine.

kailua
08-10-2009, 06:17 AM
I agree with Ahnko. If you have praise or criticism, them PM that person. I wasn't aware that the posting of rep. points is totally anonymous. Why is that?

Thumper
08-10-2009, 06:21 AM
One forum I'm on allows you to publicly thank somebody for a post by clicking on a button under the post. It then shows who all thanked the post, so there's no anonymity. I don't know if that's available on the UU platform, but it's kind of a nice barometer of how helpful your posts are to other people.

I agree that the anonymous rep thing seems weird - I don't know what purpose it serves. I've had a few positive, but the one negative one I got was anonymous, which seems like a pretty cowardly way to communicate.

Ukulele JJ
08-10-2009, 08:49 AM
I usually sign my rep comments.

JJ

WhenDogsSing
08-10-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm glad this thread got started.

Just 2 days ago, someone zinged me with a negative on my reputation because of a post I had made that evidently set someone off the deep end. :eek:

I went through the normal "I don't believe it (denial)" thing, then I got mad :mad: which fortunately didn't last too long, and now I'm still thinking about it and haven't reached the acceptance stage just yet. :confused:

I made the post in good faith and it wasn't an argumentative post. Whoever it was that zinged me could have PMed with their concerns over my post. That would have been a simple and considerate thing to have done.

Why should someone be allowed to hide behind a keyboard and take potshots at your reputation when you have no way to defend yourself?

I do feel better now...thanks for listening...:D

hoosierhiver
08-10-2009, 10:03 AM
I like the rep points, but agree it seems it could be misused. I suppose the point of it is so other members can better assess your character and maybe so mods can determine when a troublemaker has been given enough slack.

Is it possible to see what people have said on other member's reps?, if so I haven't found it.
I would hope that even if a troll sticks you with a bad rep point for an illegitimate reason, that a member would have enough positive points to counteract that.

I try to give + reps to deserving folks whenever I think of it.

sukie
08-10-2009, 10:09 AM
I like the rep points, but agree it seems it could be misused. I suppose the point of it is so other members can better assess your character and maybe so mods can determine when a troublemaker has been given enough slack.

Is it possible to see what people have said on other member's reps?, if so I haven't found it.
I would hope that even if a troll sticks you with a bad rep point for an illegitimate reason, that a member would have enough positive points to counteract that.

I try to give + reps to deserving folks whenever I think of it.

Can't rep you -- too soon, but +1.

uke5417
08-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Click the "USER CP" button and you should see a summary of your reputation points.

:cheers:

I don't see anything. Does that mean I'm Joe Plain Vanilla and have neither inspired anyone with my brilliance nor enraged them with my wit? How boring is that?

SeanKy671
08-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't see anything. Does that mean I'm Joe Plain Vanilla and have neither inspired anyone with my brilliance nor enraged them with my wit? How boring is that?

Lol well, yes it is under User CP lol

I agree that it does give those internet trolls the advantage..
I indeed think it's a bad idea.. but that's just my opinion

itsme
08-10-2009, 03:17 PM
If only the recipient can see their rep, then what's the point?

Harold O.
08-10-2009, 05:35 PM
...and they don't seem to go away...

Which always leaves you with the reminder of why PWD (posting while drinking) is a bad idea. Even months later.

mailman
08-11-2009, 03:25 PM
What is the purpose of reputation points for posts, especially the ability to make comments? Can we redeem points at the UU store? I see no constructive reason for it's existence. I think all it does is allows anonymous trolls the opportunity to attack UU members with the most vulgar, racist, childish comments with total freedom and no fear of getting banned since not even the administrators or moderators can see nor remove these comments from what I am told, they have NO control over these anonymous moa kukae posters hiding behind their freedom and anonymity provided by this forum which I think really goes against the aloha spirit and what the 'ukulele should represent.
I say dump the feature, no other forum has it or needs it. :mad:

I had no idea that this problem even existed. :( Why, of all people, would someone give negative reps to Ahnko? I don't understand the system either, and don't know what it is really for. I've only had one rep comment, and it was positive (thank goodness!)

Sorry to hear that there are folks who would behave so immaturely on UU. It is still a very positive, caring web community for the most part. Ahnko, I hope the mods can help you solve this one....

mrUKETOBER
08-11-2009, 04:59 PM
how do you leave the rep points ?

experimentjon
08-11-2009, 05:28 PM
how do you leave the rep points ?

On the top right corner of each post, there is an icon that looks like a scale, right next to the triangle warning sign. Click it and select whether you want to approve or disapprove of the post.

GrumpyCoyote
08-11-2009, 10:40 PM
If only the recipient can see their rep, then what's the point?

There is a rep icon under your post count, little green boxes with a phrase like "xxx is on a distinguished road". More good rep = more little green boxes. Most folks have one for now. I think there are black boxes for negative rep (most of these systems have both), but I'll have to ask Ryan to be sure. Not a lot of negative rep on this board.

To the original question "what's the point?" - The point in my opinion, is to have a simple tool to help foster communication. We can't read facial expressions or body language on this contraption - the reputation doohicky helps us communicate our likes an dislikes without the usual people reading skills of everyday human interaction.

Over time, it also serves to aggregate the general social feeling towards you - with that little green box trick. It means that eventually, a new member can see at a glance those who the community generally feel have something worth saying, or not. Coming from several motorcycle boards where being an ass is a sport, knowing where all the old-timers stand with the majority is a very good thing.

And yes, because humans are involved, it can be used to be a pain in the ass. It DOES have some basic safeguards (you can't give too much rep to the same person for example, without spreading it around) to keep it relatively free of abuse, but some folks are jerks no matter what the medium of jackassery delivery is. They'd be jerks without the rep feature too.

The anonymity feature is there to make certain that there is no retaliation for giving negative rep. The side effect is that jerks can use it too - but over time, it should average out. and in my experience, it makes the jerks that much easier to spot for new members.

And of course there is always the perfect solution - if you don't care for the feature, ignore it. It's just an extra, no need to worry about it too much.

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-13-2009, 03:32 AM
i only get negative, haha :) dno why

RON<>VA
08-13-2009, 07:36 PM
The whole rep point thing is really useless. Of the thousands of UU members, many are not even aware of the rep point system. Of those that know about it, only a few actually use it. As far as positive feedback to members, we do that all the time, every day, in many of our posts as we compliment folks. As far as the negative stuff, that can be handled either privately by PM or a note to a moderator.

GrumpyCoyote
08-13-2009, 08:10 PM
The whole rep point thing is really useless. Of the thousands of UU members, many are not even aware of the rep point system. Of those that know about it, only a few actually use it. As far as positive feedback to members, we do that all the time, every day, in many of our posts as we compliment folks. As far as the negative stuff, that can be handled either privately by PM or a note to a moderator.
So what you mean to say is, it's not useful to you. Which is fine... like I said, feel free to ignore it.

Trust me, the bigger the site gets the more useful it will be.

Some of the sites I frequent are over ten thousand members. The rep system helps communication, management, moderation, and community more than it hurts.

nikolo727
08-13-2009, 08:56 PM
yeah I agree with Ahnko. Ive gotten some really bad comments on there too. Yeah I know guys, Im annoying, but if you really hate me that much, just tell me.(awaits the pms to be received.)

UkeNinja
08-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah I know guys, Im annoying, but if you really hate me that much, just tell me.(awaits the pms to be received.)
If you know you are annoying, work on it. Not something to cultivate.
My strategy for the few neg reps I got is to edit the message with a "this was neg repped because someone did not understand blablabla...." and explain what I meant. But if you acknowledge that you are indeed wrong, then a little anonymous poke is not too bad I think.

HaileISela
08-14-2009, 03:31 AM
yeah I agree with Ahnko. Ive gotten some really bad comments on there too. Yeah I know guys, Im annoying, but if you really hate me that much, just tell me.(awaits the pms to be received.)

I've never been annoyed by you, yet^^

ukeshale
08-14-2009, 03:54 AM
I've only had one negative rep and that was entirely my own fault. I'd 'helped' a beginner by posting some fingerings for a chord and i'd labelled one of the frets with the wrong number. I went back and changed it once i'd been given negative rep - incase anyone were to read it in the future and take away incorrect info. Without the rep system it probably would've ended up being left incorrect.

As long as you're not confrontational and purposely looking to stir things up then i don't think you have to worry about recieving negative rep. We're not here to argue, just to learn about and share our love for the uke. It's an easy enough feature to ignore if you really don't use it.

Ukulele JJ
08-14-2009, 07:57 AM
I've only had one negative rep and that was entirely my own fault. I'd 'helped' a beginner by posting some fingerings for a chord and i'd labelled one of the frets with the wrong number. I went back and changed it once i'd been given negative rep - incase anyone were to read it in the future and take away incorrect info. Without the rep system it probably would've ended up being left incorrect.

Now see, that's exactly the kind of thing I would never give negative rep for. You're trying to help a newbie, and that's the sort of thing that should be encouraged, even postive-repped.

IMNSHO, the issue of your simple mistake could've been more appropriately addressed by the person merely posting a reply pointing it out and suggesting the correction. No need to diss you for it.

JJ

ukeshale
08-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Now see, that's exactly the kind of thing I would never give negative rep for. You're trying to help a newbie, and that's the sort of thing that should be encouraged, even postive-repped.

IMNSHO, the issue of your simple mistake could've been more appropriately addressed by the person merely posting a reply pointing it out and suggesting the correction. No need to diss you for it.

JJ

yeah, they didn't diss me. just marked it as negative. i've had lots of positive rep for helping out so it's not really affected anything. i think if we're not confrontational etc. then it'll be very rare that we recieve negative rep so it'll all work out! the literal only worry with the system is the potential for a troll to come on and negative rep everyone - but trolls are easy to spot :D

lisaxy424
10-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Sorry to dig this thread back out...:o

But now that I finally know HOW to give rep points as well as view my own - is there a way to see ALL the points given to you rather than just a summary in the User CP?

By the time you all helped me figure out how to do it, I already had 35 pre-existing points...and I don't know what any of them said or if they're even pos/neg.

Thank you!!!

SuperSecretBETA
10-13-2009, 07:36 PM

But now that I finally know HOW to give rep points as well as view my own - is there a way to see ALL the points given to you rather than just a summary in the User CP?

By the time you all helped me figure out how to do it, I already had 35 pre-existing points...and I don't know what any of them said or if they're even pos/neg.

Thank you!!!

Wow, you really climbed up there! I don't think the Admin have enabled us to see it all. It doesn't even tell us our rep power (sometimes, it's worth more than + or - 1). If it's negative, it's a red bar. If it's neutral, it's a grey bar. If it's positive, it's a green bar. I think it leaves neutral to people if you have less than 50 posts or so to help prevent abuse of the system. It also leaves neutral when you have under 10 points.

seeso
10-13-2009, 08:29 PM

Thank you!!!

As far as I know, there's no way to view all your rep points. Sorry!

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-13-2009, 08:41 PM
how do u see how many u have? i find it, but then forget.

SuperSecretBETA
10-13-2009, 08:58 PM
how do u see how many u have? i find it, but then forget.

Either click on the scales on your own post or click "User CP" on the top left of the navigation menu bar. You'll see "Latest Reputation Received."

dirk.li
10-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Can you get a MINUS reputation? I mean... a reputation that's below zero? That would be REALLY UNDERGROUND, right?

Funny enough until a few days ago (when a user got a negative rep point and complained about this "passive aggressive behavior" against him) I had no idea about rep points whatsoever. Then I got a positive one and found out that I have +13 points. Now what does this mean? How many points do you have when you start out on UU? And who gave me the other points and why?

Hmm...maybe I should check out the FAQ before I ask stupid questions here... (please don't rate me negative because of this dudes...)

P.S. Do I have to live in constant fear of negative rep points now? :eek:

SuperSecretBETA
10-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Can you get a MINUS reputation? I mean... a reputation that's below zero? That would be REALLY UNDERGROUND, right?

Funny enough until a few days ago (when a user got a negative rep point and complained about this "passive aggressive behavior" against him) I had no idea about rep points whatsoever. Then I got a positive one and found out that I have +13 points. Now what does this mean? How many points do you have when you start out on UU? And who gave me the other points and why?

Hmm...maybe I should check out the FAQ before I ask stupid questions here... (please don't rate me negative because of this dudes...)

P.S. Do I have to live in constant fear of negative rep points now? :eek:

You start with 10. Rep just means people like or dislike your posts. You won't know who did it unless they write their name in the comment (unless they're lying about their name). Rep can be given to anyone by anyone, but whether it affects the user depends on rep power. Newbies don't have rep power and neither do people with less than 10 rep.

You can get below zero on reputation.
-999999 User is infamous around these parts
-50 User can only hope to improve
-10 User has a little shameless behaviour in the past

0 to -9 gets a grey bar.
-10 and below gets a red bar.
1+ get green bars. You earn another green bar every 100 rep after that
This info is not in the FAQ.

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-14-2009, 01:28 AM
Either click on the scales on your own post or click "User CP" on the top left of the navigation menu bar. You'll see "Latest Reputation Received."

when effort is involved... cbf :p

dirk.li
10-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Sob. Sob. Sob. I just got an anonymous negative rep point. Dammit! I shouldn't have asked about rep points. This gives people ideas... :(

UkuLeLesReggAe
10-15-2009, 06:09 AM
i just looked at mine, its good when people leave their name. I mean, its not bad that they don't, but good to know whose liking what you say!!

although i am tired.

buddhuu
10-27-2009, 05:57 AM
Can you control how many rep points you give someone for a post or does it always award the same?

Some people on here have been so helpful that I'd like to give some of their outstanding posts a bit more rep than I would give to a "standard" helpful post... er... if that makes sense?

specialmike
10-27-2009, 06:06 AM
Just to show how much I care for rep pts, I am going to give everyone pos reps just for being ukulele players. Really it's not a big deal, it's just something silly that forums' have.

ukeshale
10-27-2009, 06:10 AM
Can you control how many rep points you give someone for a post or does it always award the same?

Some people on here have been so helpful that I'd like to give some of their outstanding posts a bit more rep than I would give to a "standard" helpful post... er... if that makes sense?

It's just determined by your own reputation. The higher your rep - the more you rep points are worth. I don't think you can control how much you give

buddhuu
10-27-2009, 06:30 AM
[...]Really it's not a big deal, it's just something silly that forums' have.

It's certainly not a big deal, but how silly it is depends how you look at it. Seeso, NukeDOC, JJ and a heap of others have all contributed stuff that has helped me out or educated me in some way, or straightened me out when I've made mistakes. It's good to have a way to say thanks without posting an embarrassing public gusher! It's much quicker than a PM and you can do it anonymously if you are afraid of being branded a sycophant!

As for neg rep... Well that's when it's not a big deal. One can either see it as a reminder to think before posting, or ignore it as one would a troll. :)

UkeNukem
10-29-2009, 04:59 PM
"or straightened me out when I've made mistakes"
:agree:

And in many cases, PREVENTED us from making the same mistakes they did!
(Even though sometimes that IS the best way to learn, just not the most fun)

Bluke
10-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't get this point or rep business, but again, there's a lot of stuff I don't get on this site.

sukie
10-30-2009, 04:25 AM
I don't get this point or rep business, but again, there's a lot of stuff I don't get on this site.

I'm not sure there is a "point" to any of the rep points. From what I can tell -- and I've been here a while -- you have to go out of your way to see how many rep points you have. Yes, we can see the colored squares, but if you aren't aware of rep points, the squares mean nothing. Don't worry about it. There is a wide range of points, obviously, but who cares, really? Don't fret about it. Oooooh! What a great term for an ukulele forum.

UkeNukem
11-01-2009, 11:29 AM
"but if you aren't aware of rep points, the squares mean nothing"

We could make up a UU T-shirt saying something like-

I am working on attaining
[ ] [ ] [ ]
(three green squares)

Like my branch mangager says about our "Employee Recognition Awards"

We are ALL worthy