my ukulele broke, no chance to get a decent new one :(

uke been to australia?

Reaction score
i was watchin a rugby match between Australia (my country) and South Africa that finished at 3 am. me and my mate walked into my room to see the worst luck ive had :(..
i normally place my ukulele on my table so its not lying on the floor to be trodden on or damaged but this is what caused its demise.
The photos on my book shelf slipped causing a domino effect and pushed my piggy bank off the shelf and right onto my ukulele causing it to snap.
worst thing is that i live in Australia and there isnt much choice for decent ukuleles around here and even if there was i wouldnt have enough money for a long time to buy a new one..

It comes at a horrible time because my birthday is a 2 weeks away and im coming up to my final exams. I was just getting confident enough to start creating videos to :(. Ill still come on to chat and see how everything is going though cause i love this site and everyones enthusiasm and joy we all share for the ukulele and music is contageous.

Nelson.

Wow. A snapped uke. I hate it when that happens.

Be of good cheer though, with great ukes now available at affordable prices from guys like MusicGuyMic on Ebay, you'll be able to save up for a new one in no time! Get a Makala dolphin for -what- 40 bucks and you'll be back in the business.
:shaka:

terrible luck. like alan said though, you can buy cheap semi decent ukuleles online now :shaka: i lost my main uke in an accident about a month or so ago. i'm just a few weeks away from my new one now :D save those pennies!

yea true, a new uke will never be the same as your first uke but a uke is a uke and even if its not as good of quality at least i can play and still feel free and relaxed with a uke in my hand :)

thanks for the advice guys ill look into

i was watchin a rugby match between Australia (my country) and South Africa that finished at 3 am. me and my mate walked into my room to see the worst luck ive had :(..
i normally place my ukulele on my table so its not lying on the floor to be trodden on or damaged but this is what caused its demise.
The photos on my book shelf slipped causing a domino effect and pushed my piggy bank off the shelf and right onto my ukulele causing it to snap.
worst thing is that i live in Australia and there isnt much choice for decent ukuleles around here and even if there was i wouldnt have enough money for a long time to buy a new one..

It comes at a horrible time because my birthday is a 2 weeks away and im coming up to my final exams. I was just getting confident enough to start creating videos to :(. Ill still come on to chat and see how everything is going though cause i love this site and everyones enthusiasm and joy we all share for the ukulele and music is contageous.

Nelson.

Yeah that sucks man. Moral of the story? Buy a case...I'm sure your confidence will increase with time and you'll be playing again soon.

My condoleances... How decent of an ukulele was the victim?

Lucky you though, write a smashing and funky "Legend of the Ohana ukulele" and you could end up with a decent but above all FREE NEW UKE!

Really, give it a go. You have some tear-jerking blues to pour into your story there...

yeah i no i should really invest in a case...

the uke was pretty good, it was a concert Koa "pili koko"
it was not the snaziest uku but had quite a nice ring to it

and yea ill have a look at the competition, sounds like fun any way even if i dont win. And i read your legend Ukeninja, thats going to be a hard one to beat mate. ill give it a go though

Dang. That's a nice uke indeed.
I hope you can give it a go and glue it back together. Man, that's ugly. Hang in there buddy!

P.S. Read the other entries as well, I was just lucky to be on the first page ;)

yea thomas ill prob give the glue ago but like all the wood in the front has collapsed inward.

putting it back together is always an option for me. my fathers old guitar neck was snapped off and he screwed it back on with a metal plate and screws and it still prob has the nicest tone. you could never tell it was damaged

Take it to a luthier for a pro evaluation. Go to www.frets.com for great repair advice and techniques. Don't just slather glue on it before you have a better idea of how to repair it.

Post pictures if you want us luthier-types to have a better idea of how to advise you.

condolensce bro
i know how you feel... keep your chin up
and something good will come! :shaka:

p.s. that glue-ing idea isnt half bad

Half of the ukes I play are ones that people threw away thinking they were toast. I just glue 'em back together. Post a picture and I'll bet the experts (I'm not one) here will tell you how you can do the same.

Ahh that's hard to hear man. I'm sure shipping to the land down under is probably costing more than most nice ukes.

Keep your eyes open here (the market place) in case someone is selling something more near by. You never know what you will find there. Heck someone reading this thread might end up being near and selling.

Don't give up on the glue idea. A little soft foam and some dexterity and some patches and TiteBond and you might get it back together. Do post pictures so people can help. If the frame is solid you might even experiment with a new top, or save the neck and find a big cedar cigar box, save the old bridge and do some fret math to find the sweet spot, voila! new cool uke.

My fave soprano is a vintage Favilla that had the neck snapped off, and glued back on quite badly (to my noob eyes, but it is actually straight) with a ton of glue showing, and no 12th fret. I have a toothpick shimming the saddle. But it's a kick! It's actually my keeper, when the market comes back I'll let the other two sopranos go to new homes.

yeah, cigar box is not a bad idea if the box is too far beyond repair. You've otherwise got all the parts you need except for the cigar box and a little bit of elbow grease on your part.

Luthier tab would have folks who could help walk you through it. Be a great way to make the most of a bad situation...

yeah ill gets some photos and post them all. thanks everyone for the advise. and theres alot of stiff competition in the 'legend of ohana ukulele' but ill be giving it a go. it would be just in time for my birthday to :) haha.

good luck to everyone and thanks

Mate - that is bad luck...and your Rugby team lost too! Stirling Mortlock broke his leg in that game didn't he - maybe you owed some sort of voodoo uke? Perhaps you can smash it up a bit more during the all black game in a weeks time?

Stirling Mortlock broke his leg in that game didn't he

The Evil Wizard Mortlock did what?! Doesn't that make the average age of the Wallabies like... 12 or something? Actually I agree with what Deans is doing there - getting the up and comers experienced at international level in time for the next world cup. Why Graham Henry isn't giving more of the NZ under 21's (world champs - duh) some game time in the AB jerseys is a mystery to me.

Admittedly, going into this Tri Nations I would have put coin on the yarpies, as nutbar crazy as De Villiers is.

OP - sorry to hear about your uke dude, got any pix? Any chance you can pick up something to get you by - a Kala perhaps?

Top Bottom