6-String KoAloha

Howie1947

Reaction score
6-String KoAloha Short Review

I purchased this uke at the Ukulele Festival this past July. The say it is a "factory second" due to some blemishes in the wood-work, but if they are there, I can't find them. This is my fourth KoAloha uke. I actually bought it from MGM at the KoAloha booth. Mike cut me a sweet deal..........$800.00 and that included a Oahu case. It's a little different going from a 4-string to a 6-string, but I'm getting used to it. It came with some clear flourocarbon strings, no wound. It has 15 frets to the body. Solid koa body etc. Open tuning pegs, white. I'm a "stummer" so this is great, I don't do a lot of fancy picking, like the great Troy Fernandez does. It sounds great, very much different from my Kamaka Tenor. This finish is glossy, just like all the other KoAlohas I own, except for a concert pikake I have. The action seems to be pretty much standard, I might have it lowered a tad my next trip to Honolulu. It is very loud, I love the sound of a 6-sting. I had a hard time deciding between a Kamaka and KoAloha, but went with the KoAloha. As always, my personal opinion is that the Okami family makes a solid instrument.

Last edited:
Now you need to get an 8 string and you'll be amazed at the tones it will emit. If you think a 6 is great for strumming, try the 8.

Don't tell me that Kanaka, I am practically in the "poor house" now from buying ukuleles.

Sorry Brah, but just had to say it . . . you know what they say - get one of each and you pretty much set. On the serious side, if you ever get a chance to play one, you'll see what I mean. Save them pennies!

after youve done the 8 string, ask Kekani for a tiple

Anyone have any suggestions as far as brand name of strings for 6-string ukes? As I stated previously, my KoAloha has stock flourocarbon strings. When the time comes for me to change them, what is the consensus of opinions here???? Howie...( See You in San Diego on Sunday Aug the 16th)

Anyone have any suggestions as far as brand name of strings for 6-string ukes? As I stated previously, my KoAloha has stock flourocarbon strings. When the time comes for me to change them, what is the consensus of opinions here???? Howie...( See You in San Diego on Sunday Aug the 16th)

worth makes em. i think we have some in stock. try ask mgm if hes got any

Now you need to get an 8 string and you'll be amazed at the tones it will emit. If you think a 6 is great for strumming, try the 8.

Ok you talked me into it I just ordered one.

Mele Koa Tenor 8-String with Paua Abalone Shell inlay.
Can't play 4 strings very will yet, but I just had to take your advice.:)

Not really I have been eye-balling this one for quite some time. Finaly the time came just had to have it.

Congratulations !..................Hope you enjoy your new toy as much as I am enjoying mine...............

i dare say I've been expecting a video. Any in the near future with this wonderful instrument?

Thanks for the great review!

Did we get to meet you? Dustin and I were at the back of the booth, doing the giant thank you card, for most of the morning. Actually, I was there almost all day. The back of the tent kept falling down and I was franatically trying to keep it together.

Thanks for the great review!

Did we get to meet you? Dustin and I were at the back of the booth, doing the giant thank you card, for most of the morning. Actually, I was there almost all day. The back of the tent kept falling down and I was franatically trying to keep it together.

and after that i manned the slot machine where my right half became sunburnt.

Paul.........I did not see you at the booth. Spoke with Brian a bit, and said hello to Alan. I have been to your shop a number of times. Brian has always been very helpful. Did get a chance to meet your dad about a year ago. What a great voice he has! Just ask Brian and Alan about Mike..............."the Uke Playing Veterinarian"...........Next time I'm in Honolulu, maybe in Nov. I'll stop by the shop and personally introduce myself...........Warm regards to you and the rest of the crew.........Howie (AKA) Mike

Top Bottom