PDA

View Full Version : Got My Worth Strings (Noob Perspectives)

the.ronin
08-10-2009, 08:17 AM
By way of background, I only started playing the uke just shy of a month ago. I picked up a Cordoba 25CK and just got new strings in the mail over the weekend. The newer Cordoba ukes are coming with Aquila Nylguts but mine did not. So picked up some Worth (brown medium) ( http://www.elderly.com/accessories/names/worth-bm-soprano-/-concert-uke-set--WSBM.htm) strings.

The first thing I noticed was that these strings were way thinner than what came stock with my uke. One of common comments Iíve read about these strings is that they are not very loud compared to Aquilas. I think they are just fine. I also read that they have a more subdued tone but Iím not sure I am noticing that. Then again I have nothing to compare to except the old strings. I will say these have a crisper tone ... especially when I plucked (instead of strummed) my old strings, they tended to have this vibrating noise rather than a solid clear tone. Not sure if that makes sense. These strings also keep their tune better ... I remember having to tune the stock strings all the time. I was expecting the same again but thatís not the case.

Again, I donít really have anything to compare against, so take this for what itís worth. But this brings up a question Ė other than the time it takes to tune and repalce, is it bad to keep changing strings? I want to experiment with others.

Actually another question then ... how long generally before new strings ďacclimateĒ themselves to your uke and show their true capabilities assuming daily usage (say 1-2 hours per day avg).

toubisard
08-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Your Worth strings will be happy on their new Cordoda by Friday at the latest.
Do the Cordoba Ukuleles in the USA come with the strings through the sound board then up through the bridge or are they tied in the usual (guitar) way?

the.ronin
08-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Cool. Canít wait till Friday. :D

They are just knotted at the bridge and up the neck. This (http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Cordoba-24CK-Concert-Ukelele?sku=512784) might give you an idea with one of the close-up shots.

shobs
08-10-2009, 09:58 AM
To ask a vague question associated with this thread: what are people's opinions of Martin strings? I managed to get hold of a set after I bought my Stagg Soprano and they were a definite improvement on the GHS strings the uke came with. Being a newey to all this, how do the experts amongst you feel they compare to the big names in the uke string world?

toubisard
08-10-2009, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=the.ronin;190650]Cool. Canít wait till Friday. :D

They are just knotted at the bridge and up the neck.

Cheers your Cordoba is identical to what we are sold in the UK as Antonio Pinto Carvalho, instruments from Braga in Portugal. They must string them through extra holes drilled into the soundboard and through the bridge in Portugal.
Any one out there come across this method of stringing?

toubisard
08-10-2009, 11:33 AM
To ask a vague question associated with this thread: what are people's opinions of Martin strings? I managed to get hold of a set after I bought my Stagg Soprano and they were a definite improvement on the GHS strings the uke came with. Being a newey to all this, how do the experts amongst you feel they compare to the big names in the uke string world?
Hi,
I tried Martin strings and found that they tend to go brittle and break. It might have been me being too experimental though! They have a reasonable reputation...

UkeNukem
08-10-2009, 12:50 PM
I tried Martin Flouros and found they went way sharp because they were too soft and went down to the fingerboard as I played. But, I have played guitar for many years so I might have a death grip on the uke. That was on a soprano so they might be better on a concert (higher tension).

Since then I've tried some Worth Brown BM (I think) and they are nice and stiff which helps the intonation situation.

RyanMFT
08-12-2009, 02:23 PM
I have not enjoyed Martin strings very much, they seem quiet and a little dull comparted to other strings I tried.

I lucked into a long unplayed vintage Martin Soprano and put a new set of Martin strings on it and I thought it sounded just ok. I couldn't understand what all the hoopla for vintage Martin's was about. Then I tried some Aquilas on it and bang....that little uke just came to life. Now, I can't put it down. It is loud and has a very bright and distinctive voice.

It is fun to experiment with different strings. They are cheap and you will find something that fits for you....keep playing!

Skrik
08-13-2009, 12:16 AM
I have Martin fluorocarbons on a soprano, and have had no trouble at all. Mind you, it'd be hard for anything at all to make me sound worse than I already did.

buddhuu
08-13-2009, 02:13 AM
I've tried GHS, Aquila, D'Addario, Martins and those "Gold" strings.

On my tenor the Aquilas are good, but brown Worth BTs are now my favourites. Very, very nice strings. Ken Middleton recommended them and he steered me just right. Ken da man.

veep
08-13-2009, 06:48 AM
I've tried GHS, Aquila, D'Addario, Martins and those "Gold" strings.

On my tenor the Aquilas are good, but brown Worth BTs are now my favourites. Very, very nice strings. Ken Middleton recommended them and he steered me just right. Ken da man.

his the man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the.ronin
08-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Just got another set of Worth browns this time for my tenor and in low G. AWESOME. When I first got the tenor (Kala solid lacewood), I decided to try out some Auquilas with wound low g and wound c. It wasn't happening for me so I ordered Worths like I had on my concert.

I love these things.

Is there a way to just upload mp3 files? I want to post some tunes I played on the tenor with the Worths.

the.ronin
08-31-2009, 07:04 AM
I was passing time at a local uke shop and the owner busted out his killer concert uke strung up with Worth clears. We both agreed that they seemed even “warmer” than the browns. We suspected they were the “lite tension” versions. I think the clears will be the next set of strings I try out.

CountryMouse
08-31-2009, 08:21 AM
I was passing time at a local uke shop and the owner busted out his killer concert uke strung up with Worth clears. We both agreed that they seemed even ďwarmerĒ than the browns. We suspected they were the ďlite tensionĒ versions. I think the clears will be the next set of strings I try out.

Per recommendations, I replaced the clear whatever-they-were nylon strings on my Mahalo with Worth brown light tension. For some reason, maybe because they are thinner, they are killing my fingers even worse. I wish I had not thrown away the clear strings. I hope my fingers eventually stop being sore and numb. I've been playing/practicing for a week now.

Also, I am looking for strings that have the softest/least-bright tone because I don't have a very loud singing voice. I can always use a pick if I'm going to accompany someone else with a bigger voice.

CountryMouse

Skrik
08-31-2009, 08:34 AM
I feel a bit guilty, since it was I who recommended the Worths; your fingers, however, would have grown sore no matter which strings you have the uke strung up with.

CountryMouse
08-31-2009, 08:41 AM
I feel a bit guilty, since it was I who recommended the Worths; your fingers, however, would have grown sore no matter which strings you have the uke strung up with.

Please don't feel guilty...the only thing I did wrong was throw away the other strings! The Worths might be better for later. :-)

I noticed my fingers were at a certain level of soreness with the clear nylon strings. After I started using the Worths, I was actually concerned that my ring finger looked like it was almost *cut*. I used first-aid cream.

Also, they do have a brighter sound than the nylon strings did, which most people would want, but I find I actually don't. :-P Oh well, live and learn!

Do you think the strings that were on the Mahalo were probably GHS?

CountryMouse

jdbuddha
08-31-2009, 08:43 AM
I too once experimented with all sorts of strings, but in the end, worth works for me the best! Aloha

Vindelanda
08-31-2009, 08:45 AM
Maybe a slight hijjack, but I also have a Mahalo lying around, and I really hate the factory strings on it and want to change them up.
Would some kind of Worths work well on it? I believe there's a store in my area that I could get some uke strings at.
I'd just like it to be more easily playable so I can use it as my on-the-go uke.

the.ronin
08-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Granted I am a total newbian, I personally think Worths are magic strings.

Check em out at your local store Ė here in So Cal, I canít find one store that carries them and I always need to get them from MGM or Elderly. Something about the distributor all of a sudden dropping them.

yookyoolayleeh
08-31-2009, 09:02 AM
How do you guys feel about Worth brown mediums vs brown tenors on a soprano uke?

Also, is there any clear consensus on the "warmth" of clears vs browns. I want something as un-bright as possible.

the.ronin
08-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Also, is there any clear consensus on the "warmth" of clears vs browns. I want something as un-bright as possible.

Thatís exactly why I decided to give Worths a try over the Aquilas. I personally feel that they are definitely warmer. However, I thought by the description that the browns would be warmer than the clears but as I mentioned above, the clears seemed more warm. Of course this could be the uke itself but the owner (also a uke store owner) thought the same thing.

CountryMouse
08-31-2009, 12:11 PM

I am having second thoughts about what I said earlier. I was playing around with my ukulele again just a little while ago, and paying attention to the sound (and not so much to how I was doing on making chords).

The truth is, the Worth brown strings make my Mahalo sound more like a real musical instrument. The sound is just nicer. I'll just have to hope my fingers eventually get better. :p

So I apologize if I hurt your feelings. My uke sounds better. :)

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
08-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Thatís exactly why I decided to give Worths a try over the Aquilas. I personally feel that they are definitely warmer. However, I thought by the description that the browns would be warmer than the clears but as I mentioned above, the clears seemed more warm. Of course this could be the uke itself but the owner (also a uke store owner) thought the same thing.

Could you define "warmth" in other/more words? I too am looking for less-bright-sounding strings.

Thanks!

CountryMouse

the.ronin
08-31-2009, 12:38 PM
I will try but bear in mind Iím a total beginner ... so with the Aquila nylguts, it was loud and very crisp. With the Worths, the sound is softer and almost muffled like. For me personally, the Worths creates that sound when I think of a ukulele.

CountryMouse
08-31-2009, 12:49 PM
I will try but bear in mind Iím a total beginner ... so with the Aquila nylguts, it was loud and very crisp. With the Worths, the sound is softer and almost muffled like. For me personally, the Worths creates that sound when I think of a ukulele.

That helps.

Are you talking about the Worth clear (and what tension?) or the Worth brown? Because I am using Worth brown light tension right now; and it's, well, not a muted sound...to me, anyway.

Meee tooo, a total beginner! More so than you, I suspect. I have only been playing for 7 days! LOL!

CountryMouse

the.ronin
08-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Meee tooo, a total beginner! More so than you, I suspect. I have only been playing for 7 days! LOL!

CountryMouse

Sweet!! Itís like the blind leading the blind!! :D

Iíve only used the BMís but I have a set of BLís on itís way. To me, the BMís sounded much softer than the Aquila nylguts. When I played the clears on this shop ownerís uke, we both agreed that the clears sounded less ďbrighterĒ than the browns contrary to the item descriptions.

CountryMouse
08-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Sweet!! Itís like the blind leading the blind!! :D

Iíve only used the BMís but I have a set of BLís on itís way. To me, the BMís sounded much softer than the Aquila nylguts. When I played the clears on this shop ownerís uke, we both agreed that the clears sounded less ďbrighterĒ than the browns contrary to the item descriptions.

Maybe tension has something to do with it (thickness of strings?)? Just totally guessing.

Well, I'll keep all this in mind. Right now I don't have the money for more strings. And of course I still have a second (leftover) set of the BL's (since it's enough for two stringings of a soprano).

Thanks!

CountryMouse

buddhuu
08-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Totally loving Worth BT brown on my Kala ASMT mahogany tenor uke.

I just installed an under-saddle pickup and the Worths work really well with it. My uke plays and sounds the best it ever has.

molinee
09-02-2009, 09:01 PM

No good deed ever goes unpunished....:)

CountryMouse
09-03-2009, 06:18 AM
No good deed ever goes unpunished....:)

But...but...I apologized. I don't think Skrik saw it. I like how the strings make the Mahalo *sound*. Just trying to get through the ouchie-fingers stage. :p

CountryMouse, who feels like an ogre now... :(

Skrik
09-03-2009, 08:28 AM
But...but...I apologized. I don't think Skrik saw it. I like how the strings make the Mahalo *sound*. Just trying to get through the ouchie-fingers stage. :p

CountryMouse, who feels like an ogre now... :(

Skrik saw it, and smiled. But if there was an apology needed, it was mine. How are those fingers coming along?

rickyricky
09-03-2009, 08:47 AM
Is this your first stringed instrument that you're learning to play?

ricky

Per recommendations, I replaced the clear whatever-they-were nylon strings on my Mahalo with Worth brown light tension. For some reason, maybe because they are thinner, they are killing my fingers even worse. I wish I had not thrown away the clear strings. I hope my fingers eventually stop being sore and numb. I've been playing/practicing for a week now.

Also, I am looking for strings that have the softest/least-bright tone because I don't have a very loud singing voice. I can always use a pick if I'm going to accompany someone else with a bigger voice.

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
09-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Skrik saw it, and smiled. But if there was an apology needed, it was mine. How are those fingers coming along?

Well...gradual. Still sore, but I can play longer at a time. :music: What feels really odd is not exactly being able to feel things with my fingertips, like doing things in the kitchen. Am I killing nerve endings? Weeeird.

CountryMouse

CountryMouse
09-03-2009, 12:41 PM
Is this your first stringed instrument that you're learning to play?

ricky

Yes and no. Back in the 70's I taught myself a little mandolin. I just can't remember if it hurt my fingers this much or if I was just made of tougher stuff when I was younger. :p I know I didn't practice everyday, just fooled around with it when I wasn't playing my autoharp or Appalachian dulcimer (which I didn't chord--I used a noter).

CountryMouse

cocohonk
09-03-2009, 12:48 PM
I can definitely identify with the pain. I'm a recent Worths user, and while I love the sound of them and my right hand loves them, my left hand, not so much. Is this a common thing? The weird thing is this. With Aquila strings, after some practising, what usually happens is that my left hand fingers would be peeling and the skin gets all flaky, which I remedy with vaseline and/or handcream. It looks gross, but the pain factor is quite low. Now with Worths, my fingers don't flake anymore, but because of the thinness of the strings (I use CMs), it feels a bit like the strings are cutting into my fingers instead. Physically, my fingers are fine - no cuts, and no peeling, which is great, but the pain while fingering a chord is much worse than using Aquilas. Kind of makes me slack a little on holding some chords, which is fine when I'm just strumming, but not as much when I'm picking.

Is this something I just have to get used to, or do the worths get better and more comfortable on my fingers once they're 'broken' in? Or should I be looking for an alternative in strings?

rickyricky
09-04-2009, 06:02 AM
Yes and no. Back in the 70's I taught myself a little mandolin. I just can't remember if it hurt my fingers this much or if I was just made of tougher stuff when I was younger. :p I know I didn't practice everyday, just fooled around with it when I wasn't playing my autoharp or Appalachian dulcimer (which I didn't chord--I used a noter).

CountryMouse

My left hand hurt quite a bit until I built up some callouses on my fingertips. The ukulele was the 1st instrument I ever learned... When I put on Aquila strings on my Tenor, it seemed to amplify the problem. Worth medium tension clears solved it for me though.

I think it'll just take time for your fingers to get used to what you're making them do now... If they are still hurting after a few weeks/months, I would look for lower tension strings...

CountryMouse
09-04-2009, 06:16 AM
My left hand hurt quite a bit until I built up some callouses on my fingertips. The ukulele was the 1st instrument I ever learned... When I put on Aquila strings on my Tenor, it seemed to amplify the problem. Worth medium tension clears solved it for me though.

I think it'll just take time for your fingers to get used to what you're making them do now... If they are still hurting after a few weeks/months, I would look for lower tension strings...

I've got Worth brown light tension strings on now. However, I can't tell, but the action might be high on my Mahalo. I have to press so hard to avoid buzzing. I have a Makala MK-S dolphin soprano on the way from MGM; and he's putting Aquilas on, plus he said he'd make the action low for me, for ease of play.

CountryMouse

the.ronin
09-12-2009, 06:51 PM
My sister asked me what I wanted for my birthday, so I sent her a link to a set of Worth clears ... and she sends me three sets. :D

I put them on the KoAloha and i can definitely tell they are brighter than the browns. Not sure I'm ready to pass a verdict yet though ...

grasshopper
09-25-2009, 12:08 PM
...but the owner (also a uke store owner) thought...

I'm brand new to ukulele. I got my first uke 3 days ago and I am totally hooked! Where is this store you speak of? I would love to check it out. BTW, I live in Brea.

the.ronin
11-19-2009, 07:47 AM
grasshopper, I donít quite remember where that quote came from but weíre fortunate to have a number of great music stores in our area carrying ukuleles. Island Bazaar (Fountain Valley) and Island Legends (Torrance) being just two I go to most.

Anyway as an update to this thread ... Iíve been palying outdoors and noticing that the Worths arenít as loud as I would like. I switched over to Aquilas and now I really like those strings haha.

bazmaz
11-19-2009, 08:36 AM
re: the sore fingers- it aint the strings themselves - its cos you are learning a stringed instrument. its the same (in fact worse) with a steel strung guitar.

I've been playing guitar for 20 years, so the uke doesnt phase my fingers. that said, the tips on my left hand are hard and numb now - its what happens

work through it, and eventually you wont notice it.

CountryMouse
11-19-2009, 08:50 AM
re: the sore fingers- it aint the strings themselves - its cos you are learning a stringed instrument. its the same (in fact worse) with a steel strung guitar.

I've been playing guitar for 20 years, so the uke doesnt phase my fingers. that said, the tips on my left hand are hard and numb now - its what happens

work through it, and eventually you wont notice it.

Well, thinner strings can hurt more when you first don't have calluses--the Worth Brown light tension strings hurt MUCH worse for me than Aquilas.

The other thing that makes your fingers hurt worse is too-high action. Lower action on the fretboard makes playing (pressing down the strings) somewhat easier on the fingers.

But in the end, you just have to persevere and put up with the soreness and numbness for 2 or 3 weeks, then things get better. :)

CountryMouse

spots
11-19-2009, 01:28 PM
CountryMouse,

I didn't see your posts until today. Love you videos!

As you have found, the finger soreness is a part of playing stringed instruments. The tips of your fingers may feel numb for a bit, as you mentioned, but eventually the initial calouses wear away and you end up with tough finger tips. Unfortunately the loss of a fine sense of touch is a bit of a trade off for tougher finger tips.

Some strings are harder and some strings are softer. I find Hilo strings to be softer than Worths. The Hilo's also sound a bit more muted than the Worths (to me at least). The one down side to that is that (to me) the C string on Hilo's sounds a bit thunky. It doesn't ring as much as it goes "thunk". There's a bit of trying new things until you find that combination of sound and feel which you like.

Enjoy!

CountryMouse
11-20-2009, 06:09 AM
CountryMouse,

I didn't see your posts until today. Love you videos!

As you have found, the finger soreness is a part of playing stringed instruments. The tips of your fingers may feel numb for a bit, as you mentioned, but eventually the initial calouses wear away and you end up with tough finger tips. Unfortunately the loss of a fine sense of touch is a bit of a trade off for tougher finger tips.

Some strings are harder and some strings are softer. I find Hilo strings to be softer than Worths. The Hilo's also sound a bit more muted than the Worths (to me at least). The one down side to that is that (to me) the C string on Hilo's sounds a bit thunky. It doesn't ring as much as it goes "thunk". There's a bit of trying new things until you find that combination of sound and feel which you like.

Enjoy!

Thanks re: videos! :) And thanks for the info about the Hilo strings!

CountryMouse

finbar
11-22-2009, 10:32 PM
The first thing I noticed was that these strings were way thinner than what came stock with my uke.

I have to ask ! If you fit thinner strings on a Uke that has the nut set for say, aquilas. Wouldn't it make the strings buzz because they were loose in the nut slot. :confused: If it does, then how do you get around it?

Sorry if this seems a dumb question. bear with me. ;)

finbar :cool:

Skrik
11-22-2009, 11:59 PM
I have to ask ! If you fit thinner strings on a Uke that has the nut set for say, aquilas. Wouldn't it make the strings buzz because they were loose in the nut slot. :confused: If it does, then how do you get around it?

In my experience, the differences in thickness are not enough to matter. Fluorocarbons and Aquilas will happily use the same slot.

Sorry if this seems a dumb question. bear with me. ;)

Ain't no such thing.

bazmaz
11-23-2009, 10:49 AM
strings shouldn't buzz in a slot - as the tension is holding em down. Too deep a slot on the other hand....

the.ronin
11-23-2009, 02:55 PM
So I kitted out the KoAloha with Aquilas ... oh wow that C string was an epic battle to get in there. I was freaking out thinking I would bust a hole in the thing. Managed to get it in there though and it sounds very good. Iím likiní these Aquilas for sure.

(Donít worry, Iím sure Iíll change my mind in a couple months again haha.)

Teek
11-23-2009, 10:01 PM
I have a brand new Kanile'a that came with standard Aquilas, what was I thinking, my tenor is my only low 4th G instrument! I had told MGM not to worry about swapping the strings, thinking it had been awhile since I'd had my previous tenor strung that way. So I had to file the nut to make the low G fit, I hadn't played with it for more than a week. I used a diamond dust file, took off half a human hair width at a time, LOL! Whew.

So yeah, MOSTLY all stings will fit, I didn't even go there with my vinatge concert Kamaka when I saw the low 4th G string wouldn't fit in the bridge slot, no way I was going to file that. She told me that in no uncertain terms, hands off! :eek: