Koa Mele Question

Dachdoggie

Reaction score
Hey guys. Does anyone have any info on this uke? I thought it was a Mele brand but they say no. Thanks.

Attachments

• mele uke.jpg
    mele uke.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 81
  • mele uke2.jpg
    mele uke2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 75
  • mele uke3.jpg
    mele uke3.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 73
  • mele uke4.jpg
    mele uke4.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 57
definetly not a mele brand. Where did u get the pictures? It is more than likely a small luthier made ukulele that is either new or old. I've never seen a uke with that name and I have been around ukes for 8 years. Could it be something like a koa pili koko?

Thank you for your input haolejohn. I'm new to the world of ukes so can't answer your question re: koa pili koko. The uke was offered to me for sale. I'm not even sure what kind of wood it is. I thought that maybe someone here has seen or heard of this brand. The only information the current owner can give me is that it was brought back from Hawaii in 1999 or so as a gift but was just put in a closet until recently.

Koa Mele Ukulele has no connection with MELE of Maui. They were made here on Oahu in Kapolei several years back but they have disappeared, not sure why.

Koa Mele Ukulele has no connection with MELE of Maui. They were made here on Oahu in Kapolei several years back but they have disappeared, not sure why.
I figured it might be a small time luthier. Maybe stop making b/c cost? I like the head stock.

I believe it was a venture started by the owner of Island Guitars of Honolulu to construct in high volume at low cost quality Koa 'Ukuleles locally using latest CNC technology to fill the void that existed in the market below Kamaka. I believe companies like Kala, and Ohana were to much competition.

Mahalo Ahnko Honu. It is definitely a fine instrument. Maybe not a Kamaka or anything but a quality build just the same. It's a shame they had to close up shop. I wonder just how many ukes were produced. Just because the name on the headstock is unrecognizable doesn't mean that the instrument is low quality.

Mahalo Ahnko Honu. It is definitely a fine instrument. Maybe not a Kamaka or anything but a quality build just the same. It's a shame they had to close up shop. I wonder just how many ukes were produced. Just because the name on the headstock is unrecognizable doesn't mean that the instrument is low quality.

+1 great point.

Top Bottom