Which pickup to get installed if you have the choice?!

kissing

Reaction score
I've been interested in having a pickup installed on my Ohana Vita uke for some time so I can use it plugged into an amp or PA system.
(you may recall an older topic I made about pickups around here?)
vita.gif

I have called up 2 places that offer the installation of pickup.
The overall price from both places is similar (pickup cost + setting).

But the type of pickup they want to install for me differs.

One place offers an ACTIVE pickup installation.
The Mahalo brand pickup with preamp, battery and knobs for volume + tone.

The other place offers a PASSIVE pickup (undersaddle).

The guy who offered to install the Passive pickup says that he avoids installing active pickups in the instrument since you have to cut a hole in the side and that it may affect the acoustic sound of the instrument.

The other guy says that since Actives are powered, you get a better sound output when plugging it into sound systems directly (which is what I intend to do).

Which would you choose, and why?
I'm really quite stuck... !
Would the active pickup indeed give me a "better" performance amplified?
Would the active pickup sacrifice much of the acoustic sound?

Given the choice I'd want a passive. Oh, wait! That's what I have! I have a VOX DA5 amp that I just plug my ukulele into with a cord. Warning: I am NOT a technician. Why screw around with knobs and such when you can just plug a cord into the "bottom" of your ukulele? You can fiddle around when the controls on the amp -- which, bonus! -- can be used plugged in or with batteries. Anyway, since I quickly got a sound that I really liked, I haven't played around with all the bells and whistles. It sure sounds "electric" to me. But, like I said, I've not tried all the knobs too much to be an expert. Someone else is sure to give you more technical advice. Any chance you can try out a few ukuleles before deciding if you even want to drill a hole into yours?

hmm good point...
but i dont know.. Active pickup just seems cooler with the fancy looking knobs and stuff XD

Still thinking about it... would appreciate more input please :)

Hmm...
So if I don't want to bother with external pre-amps and stuff and just want to plug it straight into the sound system - Active is the (overall) cheaper way to go?

But to get the best sound possible, a passive system with a separate Pre-amp is the way to go (at extra cost?).

I'm quite limited in budget here and can't afford the best sound setup. I just want something simple that will let me play amplified when I plug it right into the sound mixer or amplifier. Poor uni student :(

If they're about the same price, I'd reccomend you go with the active. Yes, it will sound better when you plug in, and yes, unfortunately, by putting more stuff inside your uke, it will but reduce the acoustic sound a little bit. But it will still sound fine, and the amount of acoustic sound change depends on the size of the electronics.

I don't know much about the Mahalo active pickup, but I would suspect that it uses a cell battery, so it'd take up less room on the inside, and all the toggles really need is a circutboard, which is small, so it shouldn't have too noticible of an effect on your sound.

Kanaka reccomended a few extrenal DIs, which are good too, but you'd save yourself trouble and money by just getting an active pickup.

Active is probably going to be best as far as plug in and play goes. I have a passive and to get the best sound out of it I like to use my Fishman preamp. It's a pain to setup though, so when I upgrade I will most likely get an active system.

What I would be concerned about though is the Mahalo brand pickup. From what I've seen, an active system with knobs, etc. is $100-200 beyond the price of a passive pickup. So in my book if the prices are about the same, that means ether the passive is of better quality, or the active system is of worse quality. My guess would probably be the latter.

I could be wrong, but if you are going to have a hole cut in your 'ukulele you want to be really sure you are getting what you want. Be sure to do your research in both cases. See if you can drag a knowledgeable musician friend to the stores and have he/she take a look. The pickup will always be an option. Don't rush in.

There are also active pickups without knobs (my pick) or the knobs can be mounted inside the soundhole - no cut necessary.

Thanks for the input everyone :)
At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Active, because I want something that can plug and play without much fuss. It doesn't have to be extraordinary quality as long as it amplifies the uke sound adequetly.

The product they intend to use seems to be this one:
http://www.melmusic.com.au/shop/index.php?productID=11958

What I don't see in the photo you linked to is a transducer or piezoelectric p/u. All is see is the input jack, battery holder and volume/tone control. The listing for the kit does not mention anything of the sort. Am I missing something on this?

I'm pretty sure its an undersaddle piezoelectric... but I'll double check with the store.

I strongly recommend an active over passive. They provide a stronger signal, which is better for plugging into sound boards, or PA's. Many times, you get stuck with a crappy sound system, so what you plug into it counts for a lot. A good system will handle a passive fine, but you can never be sure what you're plugging into.

That being said, a properly installed good passive system also sounds very nice. A lot of purists prefer them for the natural sound. Personally, I like the sound of a good active over a good passive, but that is my opinion.

To reiterate, if the active is coming in at the same price as the passive, it's probably because the passive is of higher quality. I don't have any experience with the Mahalo pickup, so I checked out the link. For $35, I wouldn't expect much. Both of the people you talked to have valid points, but something about the price tag of the Mahalo makes me nervous. I'm not trying to knock a product that I don't have experience with, but more often than not, you get what you pay for.

Ask the passive guy what brand he's using.

Something else you may want to consider is getting an off board preamp. The nice thing about an off board preamp is that it can be used universally. Guitars, ukes, banjos, bouzukis... They can also be used with either active or passive systems. Most people think that you don't need one with an active pickup. Which is true, but many professionals use them in conjunction with their pickup systems, regardless of active/passive, or on board controls. They help clean, power, and tune the signal to where you want it to be, when plugging in.

My suggestion is to save a little more and invest in a good system, be it active or passive. Then save a little more, and get a decent off board preamp. If, you want your ukulele to sound like your ukulele when plugged in. If you just want to be heard, go with whatever. Keep in mind, though, that the best pickup will still sound crappy, if plugged into a crappy sound system. Likewise, a crappy pickup will sound crappy, even if plugged into a good sound system.

Thanks for your advice :D
I sure learned a lot from it :)

I'll have more thinking about before making the decision...

Meanwhile, here's a video I found of the Mahalo active pickup plugged direct into a Fender Mini Tone Master:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox41_w-8gW4

It seems to work... but I wonder what it sounds like without the distortion :?
It'll be weird playing like an electric guitar on something that looks like the Vita XD (though it would be fun haha).

Last edited:
Top Bottom