Saw Jake Live Last Night

jazzuke

Reaction score
At a local radio/TV show (ala Prairie Home Companion) titled Woodsongs.

The show is carried by a number of public radio and TV stations around the world (yes, the world!). The perception was the tapes would be ready for release by Insight (who provides the video competency) in 3 months, so check your local listings.

Jake was the only guest and was featured for about 50 of the program's 60 minutes. He played about 6 tunes, all from the recent "Live" album and was interviewed by the host...so, there was talk and music. After the taping, Jake also played a couple of additional tunes, (one Beatles and one original Flamenco composition).

Jake was as musically exceptional as you would expect (my two children said "Awesome")...he impresses me not only with his technical mastery so much as his musical "engagement". These are pieces he's played thousands of time, yet his emotional commitment and investment are palpable keeping the tunes fresh as if he just learned them.

We drove 90 minutes to hear him play and it was worth every second of it...after the concert, he stayed to autograph CDs and talk to fans (we could not stay).

So, my takeaway was not only his musical acumen, fluidity and technical mastery, but also just how much of a nice, ordinary guy he is, unspoiled by the attention, which is a problem for others not so well grounded (Jessica Simpson, for instance).

Anthony

I'm a huge fan also. Jake's one of the nicest people around. I love his shows.

I hope he makes it back to the Twin Cities sometime soon.... I was contemplating the drive to Chicago this past weekend where he was playing with some guy named Jimmy Buffet, anyone ever hear of him???

I saw him as well at the Honolulu Zoo concert night. It was awesome!! We also got him to autograph my daughters uke and we got a picture together and I scored a hug and kiss! I mean, he is only human, but what a great feeling to watch such a great, inspirational player! he truly is gifted! I just wish more locals actually came to "watch" him play, not to eat,talk story and have some nice "background" music. it is rude to the ones who DID come to watch him play.I just had to get that out in the open!

So, I've wondered -- does his brother Bruce still have an ukulele school? If we were students would we get to hang around with Jake? I think I'd move to Honolulu if that were the case.

I took lessons from Jake back during his Pure Heart days and then later when he opened up his school in Hawaii Kai. Bruce was also an instructor there and a very talented musician. Jake really is a cool, down to earth guy. I'm sure there are millions of fans who'd love to just hang out and follow him around, but remember, he has his own life. His concerts are great as he connects with the audience through his music and also through his heartfelt comments and stories.

At a local radio/TV show (ala Prairie Home Companion) titled Woodsongs.

The show is carried by a number of public radio and TV stations around the world (yes, the world!). The perception was the tapes would be ready for release by Insight (who provides the video competency) in 3 months, so check your local listings.

Jake was the only guest and was featured for about 50 of the program's 60 minutes. He played about 6 tunes, all from the recent "Live" album and was interviewed by the host...so, there was talk and music. After the taping, Jake also played a couple of additional tunes, (one Beatles and one original Flamenco composition).

Jake was as musically exceptional as you would expect (my two children said "Awesome")...he impresses me not only with his technical mastery so much as his musical "engagement". These are pieces he's played thousands of time, yet his emotional commitment and investment are palpable keeping the tunes fresh as if he just learned them.

We drove 90 minutes to hear him play and it was worth every second of it...after the concert, he stayed to autograph CDs and talk to fans (we could not stay).

So, my takeaway was not only his musical acumen, fluidity and technical mastery, but also just how much of a nice, ordinary guy he is, unspoiled by the attention, which is a problem for others not so well grounded (Jessica Simpson, for instance).

Anthony

Anthony, luckly I work on the woodsongs backstage crew. I took my uke to the gig around 5 pm before the show for him to sign. As I walked backstage I could hear Jake warming up before his sound check practicing his opening number for the show (Gently weeps). I peeked in with my uke on my shoulder and he happily flagged me in. It was great, I showed him a uke that I had build and we switched off playing it while swapping uke conversation about chords, technquie, and luthier stuff for about 10 minutes one on one. As said earlier, he is very laid back and makes you feel like you've known him for years...very cool experience and concert as well....He got a well deserved standing ovation for that show....You da man Jake!... Thanks dude...e.lo..

Top Bottom