PDA

View Full Version : Ukulistas

toubisard
08-11-2009, 12:52 PM
That the word Ukulista (Ukulistas Pl.) be considered as a fair description of a ukulele player or ukulele enthusiast. Further that the word ukulista be favoured
internationally. Ie. Ich bin ein Ukulista or Jai suis un Ukulista, Soy Ukulista or Dwi'n Ukulista, Ja sam Ukulista, I am a Ukulista. Get the drift. Of course you do you are a Ukulista.

NukeDOC
08-11-2009, 01:05 PM
with international recognition, will "ukulista" be pronounced as...

ooh koo lees tah

or...

yoo kah liss tuhh

????? hmmmm?

Kanaka916
08-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Do I smells another controversy regarding enunciation brewing?

NukeDOC
08-11-2009, 01:34 PM
Do I smells another controversy regarding enunciation brewing?

only if it doesnt include cussing or giving me negative feedback.

that would snuffalupagus suck!

toubisard
08-11-2009, 01:35 PM
I say let the spelling be as it is but the pronunciation be regional or national. One can always write UKULISTA down on the back of the hand and show it to some one in the market place. I'm sure it will be understood. n'cest pas or similar!!!

Kanaka916
08-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Brah, we goin cut 'em off at the ankle if dat happens!

UkuEroll
08-11-2009, 02:54 PM
It'a hard enough to keep telling people, no it's not a small guitar, no it's not a banjo, adding Ukulista to the mix just makes things worse, I'll stick with "I play Ukulele".

Uncle-Taco
08-11-2009, 03:15 PM
It'a hard enough to keep telling people, no it's not a small guitar, no it's not a banjo, adding Ukulista to the mix just makes things worse, I'll stick with "I play Ukulele".

Yeah, me too. Besides, __ist implies intense study and dedication--all the reasons I quit being a guitarist, bassist, etc. and took up ukulele in the first place.

Y'all go 'head, but I'm just gonna be a ukulele player.

LazyRiver
08-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I prefer ukester. And it's already in play: http://www.kcuke.com/news.html

toubisard
08-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Opinion be divided. I say yes. The rest of the world says no.

I'm going to stick with ukulista. I ukulista.

hoosierhiver
08-12-2009, 03:09 AM
Sounds too much like I play ukulele for a Starbucks.

PoisonDart
08-12-2009, 04:58 AM

Rofl! :rofl:

BOOM!!!! Destroyed!

Ukester it is.

toubisard
08-12-2009, 05:44 AM
So how are you going to spell it.... Ukster or Ukester because both a bit like old English villages.

I Ukulista

GrumpyCoyote
08-12-2009, 08:38 AM

I think it sounds kind of subversive... Like you play uke deep in the jungles of South America while fighting for the freedom of your people.

Ok, that may be just me...

I like it.

toubisard
08-12-2009, 09:24 AM
We are sad to announce publicly that Toubisard entered immortality at 7.10 pm
GMT on 12th August 2009. For months he battled with UAS and had hopes of ending his days in a tropical bar at the age of 92. His ambition was to be shot in the chest by a jealous husband, preferably a much younger man. In the end though his heart gave out in the middle of a debate. Toubisard was a great mentor to I ukulista who we understand has just joined UU and he would want all of you to welcome I ukulista as he has indeed come in from a central American rain forest and exchanged the AK47 for a rather sexy little ukulele.
Toubisards executors will sort out any purchases of Aquilla strings that he offered on this noble site. There will now follow 5 seconds of silence.

UkeNukem
08-12-2009, 09:24 AM
"I think it sounds kind of subversive... Like you play uke deep in the jungles of South America while fighting for the freedom of your people."

Viva El Deach! Los Ukulistas del Mundo unen!

Hey, that actually sounds like I speak Spanish!

I Ukulista
08-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks to Toubisard I have picked up the ukulele in the midst of battle.
Viva Toubisard, Viva la ukulele revolution,
viva la Ukulele underground.
Is there a Ukulele underground flag chaps? One must always have a revolutionary flag. I like flags.

GrumpyCoyote
08-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Is there a Ukulele underground flag chaps? One must always have a revolutionary flag. I like flags.

Oh now that's a kick-ass idea. Must have UU flag.

uke5417
08-12-2009, 03:35 PM
chaps?

Amigos? Companeros?

Viva la revolucion!:shaka:

UkeNukem
08-12-2009, 04:19 PM
How about this for our flag! (background of flowers/ukuleles)

-------------------------------------
--------U---------------------------
---------------:shaka:-----------------
---------------------------U--------

:smileybounce::smileybounce::smileybounce:

I Ukulista
08-13-2009, 01:49 AM
Toubisard would have loved this idea had he lived.
I think that the flag should include the colours of all the nation in diagonal bands
with a circle left clear at the top left with a picture of a Ukulele in it.
However I do think that the revolutionary council should ask every one for ideas. 'It is a battle of ideas companeros'

I Ukulista
08-15-2009, 11:32 AM
So I take it that the revolutionary council is undecided on the flag. Will there ever be a banner under which we can all stand? Will there ever be a safe haven, a distant place where Ukulele players will make the glorious stand for freedom to be Ukulele players and express them selves with four strings the G high or low the C slightly flattened the perfect E and the sweet sounding A?
Are we going to talk about the flag or what?

Link
08-15-2009, 04:58 PM
I motion to make "pimp-daddy" the official term for anyone who plays an ukulele.

Uncle-Taco
08-15-2009, 05:22 PM
I motion to make "pimp-daddy" the official term for anyone who plays an ukulele.

You've made a serious oversight, my friend. Some people who play ukulele are neither pimp material nor daddy material. I can point out a couple of my favorites and, if necessary, explain... :rolleyes:

Link
08-15-2009, 06:35 PM
To have your veto considered, you must explain. Haha.

Uncle-Taco
08-15-2009, 08:16 PM
To have your veto considered, you must explain. Haha.

<sigh...> Okay, here's (http://www.youtube.com/user/adellethegreat) an example. Here's (http://www.myspace.com/victoriavox) another.

Pimps? No. Daddies? No. Thoroughly and utterly awesome? Oh, HAYL Yeah!

YOU, son, are THE pimp daddy ukulele player.:D:cool:

I Ukulista
08-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Is that it? Is that all that can be said? Pimp daddy??

SeanKy671
08-16-2009, 10:16 PM
I indeed a UU flag would be ridiculously awesome.. haha ryan could totally sell those to us haha..

But I really rather vote Ukester.. sorry Ukulista.. I just don't get it.
lol I'm not trying to bash the idea or say it's a bad idea or anything..
I just sincerely don't get it haha..
If we were to name ANYTHING after one own screennames I think the Seankys would be great hahaha

Why not just "Ukulist"?

I Ukulista
08-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Ukulist is good....In English speaking areas Ukulista for Latin speaking areas. Why don't we adopt variations. I speak Welsh (Celtic has some common thread with Latin) In Welsh I would be 'EWCWLYDDWYR' (pro. UKULITHWIR) you read it hear first. I like Latin languages so I favour Ukulista which melds Hawaiian with Portuguese. Others on this site like Ukulele Player and I bet some of the German Players would prefer Ukspeigle as an alternative. Or how about Ukuligraca or similar for Slavonic speaking players. Ukulist is good. I bet this thread dies real soon.

Floyd Blue
08-17-2009, 12:28 AM
...and I bet some of the German Players would prefer Ukspeigle as an alternative.

I bet you will lose this bet...:rotfl: This word doesn't make any sense. But, anyway, what does really make sense?

I Ukulista
08-17-2009, 04:14 AM
Did I mean Ukuspeiler or something similar? What day is it?

Floyd Blue
08-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Did I mean Ukuspeiler or something similar? What day is it?

Most Germans would say "Ukulelenspieler". To me it's far too long I prefer Uker, but Ukulist sounds also pretty good in German [ooh-cool-east] with a short east. :cool: Monday 'til the end of week... ;)

Sorry! I didn't want to annoy you... :cheers:

I Ukulista
08-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Ich bin ein Ukulelenspeiler. Ja. There are a lot of good players in Germany. And they have Risa and Bruko. Anyway you didn't annoy me I now know Ukulelespeiler. This brings me to another idea. How many languages can this site boast? What is 'I play ukulele' in every language?

SeanKy671
08-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Haha well, Ukulista, now that you brought it up to my attention, sounds alright.. hmmm Ukulist as well..
I really do like Ukester whoever came up with that lol.
It doesn't lean towards any specific languages and kinda funny idk..
My opinion isn't worth much hahaha

I Ukulista
08-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Still think UKESTER is village in the west of England. Just can't find it on the map.

I Ukulista
08-21-2009, 10:56 AM
Come on peoples. This Ukulista thing has sat here for days. One of you has got to have another idea. ANYTHING.

I Ukulista
08-24-2009, 12:30 PM
What, no opinion or suggestion in the entire world? Sorry state of affairs I say.
Any one for Gin and Tonic as the sun goes down?

sukie
08-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Vodka cranberry -- and I'll make a toast to you! Except it'll take a few hours. It's only 6 here.

I Ukulista
08-25-2009, 06:31 AM
Thank you Sukie, a very pleasant shared moment.
New site suggestion.
Favorite drinks with favorite places.
Come and join Sukie and I on the terrace.

josuegroundhog
08-25-2009, 09:26 AM
I'm an ukulelian.

Polling... (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18119)

I Ukulista
08-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Brilliant.. I've never met anyone from your planet before. Welcome. I take it you guys use the standard gcea tuning. What do you like to eat and drink? Do you know any good tunes and have you ever watched Startrek?

I Ukulista
10-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Toubisard would have been proud to see me become a senior member. He was a great guy and a real support for those out there with UAS. He would have liked the Kale travel Uke and would have advised Worth strings. The 5 seconds of silence was well appreciated.
Now can we talk about a flag again.
Viva la ukulele, viva la ukulele underground, viva all of you.

dirk.li
10-25-2009, 05:32 PM
An ukulista is a female relic rebel from the Spanish civil war, a hot-tempered Spanish girl who played the ukulele ferociously and thus scared the enemy shitless!

As in the famous exclamation:
"¡Manos arriba! Soy un ukulista!" (Hands up! I'm an ukulista!)

All opposing forces are said to have surrendered instantly upon hearing these words followed by ferocious ukulele strumming (it was slightly out of tune) and frightful but confident singing. (You may find ample examples of imitators on YouTube, btw.)

The male version is "ukulisto".

dirk.li
10-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Wow, you are so creative, guys! I like all of your suggestions!! Please let me summarize what we have so far:

ukulista /-o /-as /-os
("ooh koo lees t-ah/-ahs/-oh/ohs" or "yoo kah liss t-uhh/-uuhs/-ohh/-ohhs")

ukulele player

ukster / ukester (also the name of a well-known legendary old village in West England)

pimp-daddy (thank you Link)

ukulist

EWCWLYDDWYR (Welsh, pronounced like "UKULITHWIR" - which is certainly less difficult to pronounce!)

Ukspeigle (which is supposedly German but isn't (similar to "foobar"))

Ukuspeiler (another futile attempt at a German translation)

Ukulelenspieler (which is the actual German word)

Ukuligraca (supposedly Slavonic)

Uker (as in "snooker" but without the "sn", also sounds good in German)

Ukulelenspeiler (slightly misspelled German translation)

ukulelian (a new race in the Startrek universe - "Uke long and prosper!")

pondweed
10-25-2009, 10:25 PM
An ukulista is a female relic rebel from the Spanish civil war, a hot-tempered Spanish girl who played the ukulele ferociously and thus scared the enemy shitless!
The male version is "ukulisto".

so are you saying that I Ukulista has just picked a girl's name...:rolleyes:

dirk.li
10-25-2009, 10:29 PM
so are you saying that I Ukulista has just picked a girl's name...:rolleyes:

Hmm, maybe I implied it, but you wrote it! :p

I Ukulista
10-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Assuming that I am male? As it happens I am male and will remain 'I ukulista'.
Like some guys are called Marion, Lyn etc. There was even a wrestler in Britain called Shirley (Big boy he was). Being Welsh I have an historic back ground for ignoring gender. There have been a number of notable cross gender Welsh eg. The Rebeccah rebels and Jan Morris a brilliant author and national treasure (she wrote about gender change in less tolerant times). One of my great Aunties looked more masculine than her husband. You have also assumed that Ukulista has to be Spanish. In Jamaica where I have a massive extended family 'I ukulista' sits perfectly in English as spoken in the Caribbean.

I Ukulista
10-26-2009, 10:12 AM
That the word Ukulista (Ukulistas Pl.) be considered as a fair description of a ukulele player or ukulele enthusiast. Further that the word ukulista be favoured
internationally. Ie. Ich bin ein Ukulista or Jai suis un Ukulista, Soy Ukulista or Dwi'n Ukulista, Ja sam Ukulista, I am a Ukulista. Get the drift. Of course you do you are a Ukulista.

So are we going for any other names or are we going to stick with Ukulele Player.

hoosierhiver
10-26-2009, 11:05 AM
So are we going for any other names or are we going to stick with Ukulele Player.

Ukusaurus..

I Ukulista
10-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Love it....Sort of catchy, yet strangely extinct type word.
Tyranus Ukus Rex. Now we know why that particular animal had short arms and a big smile. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Fuzzy
10-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't like "ukster". Looks like it's pronounced "uckster", as in "Yuck, an ukster!".

"Ukester" rocks, though.

pondweed
10-26-2009, 12:02 PM
uker is a bit English - how about

ukua - plenty of possible pronounciations, and allows things like the

ukuan spirit/community

and
groups of ukuas...

:drool:What about another thread on collective nouns for whatever term this thread comes up with

(e.g. a skuke of ukuas... and so on)

Uncle-Taco
10-26-2009, 02:25 PM
My wife called me a uku-kuckoo. :mad:

dirk.li
10-26-2009, 09:48 PM

Ahahahaha... Now that's really cute!!! :rofl:

I Ukulista
10-27-2009, 09:28 AM

A bit naughty of her, but probably quite rightly so.

UkuleleHill
10-27-2009, 10:30 AM

How do you not know that its a good thing? ;)