PDA

View Full Version : New guitar

Bratset
08-12-2009, 01:05 AM
I am looking around for a new guitar, since my current one have steel strings which realy kills my left hand when playing to long.
Therefore I am investing in a cheap nylon stringed guitar and while I was looking around I cam across this brand called CATALUNA, does anyone have any experience with that? how are they?

Pippin
08-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Your current guitar probably needs a good setup. A guitar tech can lower the action on your steel string and make it much easier to play... the best money you'll ever spend on a guitar is the setup.

6stringconvert
08-13-2009, 06:51 AM
You can also swap the strings for a lighter guage.

I think you can get steel strings in 3 or 4 common guages. If you go for a lighter guage you don't need as much pressure to hold them down - and you can bend them easier.

HTH, 6sc

DaveVisi
08-13-2009, 08:04 AM
There's more work that goes into a guitar than a uke. What you can get away with on a cheap uke gives you a really nasty guitar.

I'd stick with a "name" brand. There are plenty of them out there. Cataluna is relatively unknown. I can't even find them on the internet except for a few NZ stores (probably how you found them). I'm guessing this is because they're a low end import from some third world country.

I'd stick with Yamaha (their cheapest classical is still pretty good), or shop on eBay. I found a really good one for about $200, which was made by a small luthier shop in Spain. I upgraded the nut and saddle myself and installed better tuners and it's my favorite guitar for about half the cost of any other halfway decent model from anyone else.