PDA

View Full Version : are pineapple ukes popular? do they have good resale value?

mikeeG7th
08-12-2009, 07:14 AM
are pineapple ukes popular? do they have good resale value? does the brand matter? (i.e. kamaka) thanks!

BBcakes
08-12-2009, 07:29 AM
AHNKO HONU = Pineapple king
LOL (well at least that's who I think of when you mention pineapples or honus!)

generem
08-12-2009, 07:37 AM
I think its a preference. Some people love pineapple.. I actually just ordered one because of ukeffects review on the Melokia one.. As far as resale value, i think it depends.. Of course a resale value of a kamaka would be better than a kala or lanakai in the near future.. but you never know in 10 - 40 years :shaka:

KC8AFW
08-12-2009, 07:39 AM
are pineapple ukes popular? do they have good resale value? does the brand matter? (i.e. kamaka) thanks!

Yes...yes...and yes.

That was my first thought, too. :D

I figure once he sees this thread...he'll offer actual insight to you questions.

GrumpyCoyote
08-12-2009, 07:43 AM
They are not the most popular - my guess would be Tenor for that. But they are certainly well loved. MGM can probably give us an educated opinion on how well they sell in general.

But now you have me curious, why would resale value be of interest? Are you considering something specific and wondering if it will be easy to sell if you donít like it?

Ukeffect
08-12-2009, 09:48 AM
I think its a preference. Some people love pineapple.. I actually just ordered one because of ukeffects review on the Melokia one.. As far as resale value, i think it depends.. Of course a resale value of a kamaka would be better than a kala or lanakai in the near future.. but you never know in 10 - 40 years :shaka:
*small hijack, sorry*
Congrats, you'll like the sound! Forgot to tell you to swap out the strings when you get it, the GHS that come on it are as noodly(to me) as limp spaghetti ! Unless of course you like that! Might try Aquilas or Worths...
*now returning to original thread*

mikeeG7th
08-12-2009, 01:33 PM
They are not the most popular - my guess would be Tenor for that. But they are certainly well loved. MGM can probably give us an educated opinion on how well they sell in general.

But now you have me curious, why would resale value be of interest? Are you considering something specific and wondering if it will be easy to sell if you donít like it?

I am interested in getting a pineapple uke but don't have the luxury to try one where I live. I would like to buy a kamaka and just in case I don't like it, then I wouldn't have a lot of hassle to sell it. I don't have a soprano yet so I'm looking for a keeper :love:.

ukulelearp
08-12-2009, 01:43 PM
I think it's probably more about the ukulele than it's shape.

laietildaend
08-12-2009, 01:48 PM
i juss fink dat deh r kyoot
deh r good fo a geeft baht i dont fink it is good fo sho off, bah'
unles it cost like da kine 700 dollah
den u kno it is a good wun eh?:cheers::cheers:

dave g
08-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Shameless plug: http://www.wsukes.com/100/u100.html :D

haolejohn
08-12-2009, 01:58 PM

I think you missed some keys and hit some wrong keys.

To OP:

ukerepublic(member here) has a soprano mainland pineapple that i sampled the other night. I would have bought it if I hadn't just dropped money on a pono eight string. You should contact him.

generem
08-12-2009, 03:24 PM

Ahaha.. It took me a really long time to read this short post :D

haolejohn
08-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Ahaha.. It took me a really long time to read this short post :D

I still don't fully understand it and i am fluent in pidgin:)

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
08-12-2009, 04:41 PM
And what's a kyoot? I'm thinking of building one unless it's some kind of animal.

haolejohn
08-12-2009, 04:45 PM
and what's a kyroot? I'm thinking of building one.

lol!!!!!!+1

Ahnko Honu
08-12-2009, 04:56 PM
"fink" is not pidgin, at least not in Hawai'i. :rolleyes:

Neither is "bah"

haolejohn
08-12-2009, 05:04 PM
"fink" is not pidgin, at least not in Hawai'i. :rolleyes:

Ahnko no duh :) it's not pidgin. I think either the poster is trying to type pidgin or some other dialect. Its like portugese, italian, and spanish. All three are similar and sometimes one can read or undersatnd one of the three if they speak one of the three.

Ahnko Honu
08-12-2009, 05:06 PM

Well den, you are the Koa Pili Koko queen. ;):D:shaka:

Why would anyone buy a pineapple while thinking resale? :rolleyes:
If you gotta consider resale then invest in a KoAloha or Kamaka pineapple as they don't really depreciate. I LOVE pineapples as they are uniquely Hawaiian (invented by Kamaka), and I grew up with one in the house so they are THEE 'ukulele to me. To me pineapples sound deeper and richer for their size. I always encourage people to join the "Pineapple Patch"

Uncle Rod Higuchi
08-12-2009, 05:53 PM
OK, I guess we all gotta get at least one, den.

Somehow, the thought that the design is "uniquely Hawaiian" created
an attraction in me. I never thought of it in those terms before.

Thanks Ahnko Honu.

Melissa82
08-12-2009, 06:00 PM
I want a pineapple. <3

Teek
08-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I adore the YouTube version of Whiskey Before Breakfast played on a KoAloha pineapple, it just rings! MercurialAndQuixotic plays a mean Kamaka pineapple as well. But I'm crazy about pineapples, they make me drool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4iMd7ILaU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnL14IwIFIE&feature=related

JTY
08-13-2009, 04:32 AM
I always thought they were.. well, ok.. until recently when I was "entrusted" with a nice Kawika Pineapple concert in Koa.. I wen play um and then lower the action a little bit and now I like um alot and play it often. get one nice bell-like sound.

08-13-2009, 05:49 AM
Neither is "bah"

"bah", is like fas kine "brah" i nevah seen um typed but.

laie boy wen said he tongan/saaaaaamoan/filipino, must be da buggah typin' phonetic kine.

pidgin stay evolvin. you guys jus makule haha try catch up ol timahz....

pineapples sound `ono, real kine powah.

Captain_Lovehandles
08-13-2009, 05:49 AM
ukerepublic(member here) has a soprano mainland pineapple that i sampled the other night. ... You should contact him.

I tried it too. Ditto.

Ahnko Honu
08-13-2009, 07:19 AM
"bah", is like fas kine "brah" i nevah seen um typed but.

laie boy wen said he tongan/saaaaaamoan/filipino, must be da buggah typin' phonetic kine.

pidgin stay evolvin. you guys jus makule haha try catch up ol timahz....

pineapples sound `ono, real kine powah.

He stay one Sole'? I've heard Soles say "pah" but nevah "bah" (Soles get hard time saying words with "b" since not in native tongue). Maybe get different kine pidgin fo' soles, but no can mix da two, bad enough the Missionaries wen mess up the Hawaiian language because they too lazy fo' translate the Baibala Hemolele into more than one dialect. I hear pidgin being diluted with more words new replacing old and it saddens me. I know what I speak isn't the same as my kupunas but I wish it was so it wouldn't get lost. I was raised mainly Kailua/Waimanalo but spent years living on Big Island and Maui, and get family Kaua'i so I hear subtle variations all ova but "fink" and "bah" never in the pidgin vocabulary I grew up with. I rather stay makule, preserve what I know. Old dog no like learn new tricks. :) ;):shaka:

Rick Turner
08-13-2009, 07:23 AM
I teach building pineapple sopranos, and I think they sound just great. They seem to have just a bit more warmth than a regular soprano, but they still have that perky and bright sound going for them. I'm finding that I like them tuned up in the traditional a, D, F#, B tuning...reentrant.

Ahnko Honu
08-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I teach building pineapple sopranos, and I think they sound just great. They seem to have just a bit more warmth than a regular soprano, but they still have that perky and bright sound going for them. I'm finding that I like them tuned up in the traditional a, D, F#, B tuning...reentrant.

I gotta try that. I bought a bunch of old 'ukulele song books from the 1920s/30s on eBay and it shows this tuning in all the books instead of gCEA.

ichadwick
08-13-2009, 07:32 AM
I had never played one before I got my Samwill pineapple, last week. I must admit to an initial bemused reaction about the shape. However, the sweet sound and easy playing of this uke has helped sway me towards both sopranos and pineapple shapes in general. I doubt I'd ever get many - if any - more of this shape, but it seems to have some nice sound advantages over the traditional figure-eight style.

ichadwick
08-13-2009, 07:35 AM
I gotta try that. I bought a bunch of old 'ukulele song books from the 1920s/30s on eBay and it shows this tuning in all the books instead of gCEA.
Are you interested in scanning/sharing them? I've got a whole page of old music books and song sheets (http://www.ianchadwick.com/essays/musicbooks.htm)online and am trying to get others to share theirs as well.

Like you, I buy mine on eBay or in used book stores. I would scan then and collate them into PDFs and mail them back you with the PDFs, if you're interested in letting me post the results as free downloads on my page.

Ahnko Honu
08-13-2009, 07:43 AM
Are you interested in scanning/sharing them? I've got a whole page of old music books and song sheets (http://www.ianchadwick.com/essays/musicbooks.htm)online and am trying to get others to share theirs as well.

Like you, I buy mine on eBay or in used book stores. I would scan then and collate them into PDFs and mail them back you with the PDFs, if you're interested in letting me post the results as free downloads on my page.

Aloha Ian, Mahalo for your efforts, I have been downloading the books from your site since you first started it, and can't thank you enough for your time and work. Could I scan my books then email to you for conversion to PDF and posting on your website?
On another note did you ever get that Northern 'ukulele on eBay from the info I forwarded to you? I just got a Chinese made "Doane Clone" on eBay that I am very happy with, posted elsewhere.

ichadwick
08-13-2009, 07:43 AM
As my English professor was wont to say when we misspoke so egregiously, huh? I'm sorry but none of that makes any sense, at least in English. Perhaps it's in a language I don't speak (Gibberish, mayhap?). Or perhaps it's some sort of creole, or a patois of words from other languages strung together? In any case, it's unintelligible. Could you translate and retype it in the language commonly used herein?

Melissa82
08-13-2009, 07:46 AM
My interpretation (probably a bit off):

I just think that they are cute.
They are good for a gift but I don't think it is good enough for show off, bah'
Unless it cost like the kind 700 dollar
Then you know it is a good one eh?

petah
08-13-2009, 07:56 AM
It reminds me of Ali G. Sounds English to me. Real street English.

08-13-2009, 11:08 AM
rather then hijack the thread any more, i'll start a pidgin thread in the general discussion board.

gp-ak
08-13-2009, 12:18 PM
As my English professor was wont to say when we misspoke so egregiously, huh? I'm sorry but none of that makes any sense, at least in English. Perhaps it's in a language I don't speak (Gibberish, mayhap?). Or perhaps it's some sort of creole, or a patois of words from other languages strung together? In any case, it's unintelligible. Could you translate and retype it in the language commonly used herein?

I had no problem at all, type whatever you want.

Craig
08-13-2009, 02:22 PM
I've got a custom Ko'olau pineapple tenor on order. I'm hoping for a deeper tone. BTW, I don't buy ukes for their resale value.

Ahnko Honu
08-13-2009, 03:12 PM
I've got a custom Ko'olau pineapple tenor on order. I'm hoping for a deeper tone. BTW, I don't buy ukes for their resale value.

Amen, I buy them for their nutritional value, and my doctor said I need more fiber in my diet, and everyone knows Koa wood is very high in fiber. ;)

Craig, What's the ETA on your Ko'olau pineapple? I found out my nephew works for the Kitakis'

Craig
08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Amen, I buy them for their nutritional value, and my doctor said I need more fiber in my diet, and everyone knows Koa wood is very high in fiber. ;)

Craig, What's the ETA on your Ko'olau pineapple? I found out my nephew works for the Kitakis'
Brazilian rosewood and spruce are also high in fiber.....which might explain why my wife thinks I'm full of crap!...:) No ETA as of yet.

ichadwick
08-14-2009, 01:49 AM
It reminds me of Ali G. Sounds English to me. Real street English.
In what country? Here in Canada, street English - aside from the occassional "I seen" and "yous guys" - sounds pretty much like regular English. People don't speak like that in any part of Canada I've been to (and I've been to most).

There are, of course, regionalisms (in Newfoundland, for example, they often invert the structure: "It's the store I be going to, boy..."). But overall, in Canada street English is simply your normal vernacular.

I know in some urban areas one can hear that phoney "gangster rap" chatter, but that's no more real a speech pattern than people pretending they're R2D2 or Homer Simpson - merely an imitative pop fad.

And in my many trips to the USA and Mexico, I've never heard anything like that, even if I painstakingly try to dissect it into something legible, like Melissa did.

There's simply no reason to put in the effort - bad writing is easier to ignore than to translate. It's the modern equivalent of Linear B for me.

And let's face it, "real street English" will be heard on the streets of England. Are any of our UK members aware of this sort of talk? or writing?

But if it's written - not really "street talk." There's no need for someone to transliterate the vernacular into a banal written form aside from some attempted authenticity in a novel. Simply because a person says "how ya doin" doesn't mean it can't be written "how are you doing." Writing something like "hw r u doon" is either mere affectation or laziness.

ichadwick
08-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Aloha Ian, Mahalo for your efforts, I have been downloading the books from your site since you first started it, and can't thank you enough for your time and work. Could I scan my books then email to you for conversion to PDF and posting on your website?
On another note did you ever get that Northern 'ukulele on eBay from the info I forwarded to you? I just got a Chinese made "Doane Clone" on eBay that I am very happy with, posted elsewhere.
Thank you. I got your PM and attempted to buy that Northern, but the seller indicated shipping in the USA and refused to answer several queries about shipping to Canada, so it remained unsold. Still looking, though. I saw the Doane clone - maybe I'll end up with one too! But I'm more seriously thinking of selling a few of my ukes to reduce the space and clutter here, and the Northern pair may have to share that fate.

As for the music books - I've posted a few more online, and I have just purchased several more songsheets on eBay that will arrive in a week or so. I've lost a few bids to other eBayers, but I hope they will in turn share the wealth.

If you scan the books into PDF, I can assemble them and add them - I'd be more than happy to do so. I scan the covers in colour, then the rest in greyscale, usually at 300 dpi, then collate them all. I often flip pages around to make books and sheets lie flat, so don't worry about that if you do - I fix it all before posting it online. If you have similar scan modes available, I usually scan music pages in "text" mode, and graphics or photo pages in "text/photo" or photo mode.

PM me and I'll send my email address. I'm off to Ottawa for a few days for a convention, so probably won't see it until mid next week.

Thumper
08-14-2009, 03:09 AM
I still don't fully understand it and i am fluent in pidgin:)

Then now you know how hard your "official" pidgin stuff is for the rest of us to read. :rolleyes:

What's the point of writing that way?

08-14-2009, 03:58 AM
Some people on this board want robots posting.

Craig
08-14-2009, 07:01 PM
"Craig, What's the ETA on your Ko'olau pineapple? I found out my nephew works for the Kitakis'"....Really? Who is your nephew?

I just rechecked my Quicken and learned that I ordered the pineapple in September of last year....so it hasn't been quite 12 months yet.

mikeeG7th
08-15-2009, 06:12 AM
I just managed to buy a used ('90s) pineapple kamaka. I must say, it's wonderful! I'm still checking it out but I can almost tell, this is a real keeper! Pineapple is awesome and plays like a dream :rolleyes: