PDA

View Full Version : Surfers

chanimalcrackers
08-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Do we have any surfers here?

dnewton2
08-12-2009, 12:17 PM
I have surfed but unfortunatly I live a few hours at best from the East Coast. So even if I make it out there, waves are not the greatest most times I have been.

Maybe one day I will live somwhere I can surf more.

But I know there are at least a few other surfers here. Fred Miu has this thread (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2191&highlight=surfboard) about a board he built, but it looks like the picture is gone.

wearymicrobe
08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
I used to surf quite a bit before I got hit by a kook on a longboard. Three broken ribs and a seperated rib cage later I have not been in the water much since them.

Its a shame to I live like 1 mile from the ocean now.

haolejohn
08-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Hey!!I'm a longboarder:) I haven't been in the water but three times(a month ago while vacationing in Hawaii) since 2003 but when i lived on Maui almost everyday. Even when no waves.

ukulele2544
08-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't surf but I like bodybording...

ritzer012
08-12-2009, 05:51 PM
i am!......in my own mind :rolleyes:

took a lesson when i was in hawaii and was probably one of the best experiences of my life!

Fred Miu
08-12-2009, 10:28 PM
i surf the west coast, and hawaii when im there. i havent been out recently.

i will update with a few pictures of my board

Poi Dog
08-13-2009, 01:00 AM
I grew up surfing...

but I haven't in a while. I pretty much only skateboard now. LOL

08-13-2009, 04:09 AM
I don't surf but I like bodybording...

bodyboarding is surfing.

i'm a weekend warrior. and i sponge mostly, cus i'm too momona now to get up past the "knee". like haolejon, i used to surf everyday, but that's part of the reason why i'm on the continent now. I love shorebreak. if anything now i fish more.

fred, we should cruise next swell. i'll show you some nice reefs in smc, with mean hollow inside sections. i'd like to see your board. my dad built me a board when i was a kid and i'm fittin' to build a paipo or alaia.

Captain_Lovehandles
08-13-2009, 05:54 AM
I missed my chance at being a surfing legend. My son and I were going to take a lesson early one morning when we were in Waikiki. He and his cousin decided the afternoon before they couldn't wait, so they rented boards and headed out sans lessons. They got so beat up that they didn't want to do it again. It's okay. If those two young studs couldn't hack it, I'd have probably gotten myself killed, I figure.

Fred Miu
08-14-2009, 09:51 PM
fred, we should cruise next swell. i'll show you some nice reefs in smc, with mean hollow inside sections. i'd like to see your board. my dad built me a board when i was a kid and i'm fittin' to build a paipo or alaia.

im down to cruise cuz. haha

anybody shortboard? i got 2 short boards i need to sell, actually 3 if anyone wants one. :)

i cant shortboard that well.

Kaneohe til the end
08-14-2009, 10:03 PM
my dad used to take us out to queens when we were little. used one of those foam ones with the wooden stringer inside (perfect for running over tourists. hehehe) havent gone since freshman year in high school.

ukulele2544
08-14-2009, 10:25 PM
bodyboarding is surfing.

i'm a weekend warrior. and i sponge mostly, cus i'm too momona now to get up past the "knee". like haolejon, i used to surf everyday, but that's part of the reason why i'm on the continent now. I love shorebreak. if anything now i fish more.

Well it's not that...

08-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Well it's not that...

Then what is it then?

gobes
08-17-2009, 10:50 AM
I like to go surfing... don't know if anyone would call me a surfer though. I don't go as often as I used to and pretty much only in the summer because I hate being cold.

08-18-2009, 05:24 AM
I like to go surfing... don't know if anyone would call me a surfer though. I don't go as often as I used to and pretty much only in the summer because I hate being cold.

aren't you in socal? lol thats not cold...

retired my old 5/3mm with hood last year for those sonoma county reefs. the new 4/3 are just as good!

Playscool39
08-18-2009, 07:25 AM
I'm an internet surfer. Surfing the web day by day:D
Seriously I would to like surf,but haven't got the change. In the summer I often skimboard, does that count?

Fred Miu
08-19-2009, 07:53 PM
i rep my 4/3 mm hyperflex suit. SO WARM and so easy to get on and off. :)

gobes
08-21-2009, 10:49 AM
i rep my 4/3 mm hyperflex suit. SO WARM and so easy to get on and off. :)

Is it warm in the winter time? Are you in socal?

08-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Is it warm in the winter time? Are you in socal?

i'd love to be able to wear a 3/2mm all year. everytime i make it south it's so light weight cold. i wouldn't bareback it, but a ls short john will do. :)

as it is, my zipper busted on my rip curl 5/3 and i'm looking to get a hotline 4/3.

surfed/bodyboarded yesterday about ??? south of hmb. small wnw but it hit this nice reef/wrap around that hooked into a shorebreak. and hollowed out. if you can paddle in, because it isnt too steep so you gotta dig in... pits for days. i was using my 3/3mm and i was fine. but i couldnt feel my fingers hahaha

gobes
08-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Trunked it yesterday in Laguna. It was so nice not dealing with the wet suit.

During the summer if it's sunny out I'll usually wear a 2mm jacket, or trunk it if the water's warm and I don't want to be out too long.

08-24-2009, 03:25 PM
Trunked it yesterday in Laguna. It was so nice not dealing with the wet suit.

During the summer if it's sunny out I'll usually wear a 2mm jacket, or trunk it if the water's warm and I don't want to be out too long.

so jealous....

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-25-2009, 12:48 AM
mainly bodyboard, but living in Australia (some awesome beaches here!!) i love to hit the beach with some boards!

fred miu is good :D

ukulele2544
08-25-2009, 01:40 AM
Then what is it then?
surfing is standing up and bodyboarding is lying down

08-25-2009, 03:27 AM
surfing is standing up and bodyboarding is lying down

*false cracks* ever heard of drop knee? ever heard of my boy chris won and cavin yap? ever go sandy's on a 3'-4' south? hell ever go sandys on a wind swell? ever heard of paipo? ever go `ehukai on a small west? ever been to walls????? if you think bodyboarding is all prone, you should stop shoulder hopping...

haolejohn
08-25-2009, 06:21 PM
After 9/11 I got recalled and was sent to camp talega on pendelton by back gate in san mateo and trestles was a mile from my hotel. This was in february and I called Uncle Hanz back in hawaii and he told me how good of a break it was so I went and rented a board. They tried to get me to rent a wet suit but I was all cocky like ehh wetsuits for girls. I surf Hawaii. Well low and behold I hit the water and you know kine where you jump on board right away without hitting water. Anyways I got out and realized I couldn't feel my arms. Once I ducked first whitewash I realized I was up poop creek. I turned around and went back shore all shamed.

08-27-2009, 05:09 AM
no joke, but i passed out the first time i surfed gazos creek sans a wetsuit.

the.ronin
08-27-2009, 06:53 PM
I surf!! :D

I consider myself a shortboarder first ...

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2440/surf1m.jpg

... but several months ago for the first time in my life decided to pick up longboarding ...

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1328/surf2u.jpg

I also run a website for California surfers called Tribal Surf (http://www.tribalsurf.net/). If you're in the area, you should try to meet up with us on our next outing. We jam on the ukes between sessions haha.

I Ukulista
08-28-2009, 09:44 AM
I would love to surf. Did a bit in Australia years ago. Alas age has caught up with speed and agility so I'm going to lie on the beach strum m'uke an salute the generation that can. Don't waste a minute folks.

the.ronin
08-28-2009, 09:59 AM
I would love to surf. Did a bit in Australia years ago. Alas age has caught up with speed and agility so I'm going to lie on the beach strum m'uke an salute the generation that can. Don't waste a minute folks.

Nonsense, oh crusader against UAS!!

You’re never too old to surf!! Just look at all the longboarders out there. Heck, some of my shortboard friends are not exactly in the so called “prime of their youths.”

In fact, check out Eve Fletcher (http://sanosurf.blogspot.com/) ... she surfs more than me!!

I Ukulista
08-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Kind words indeed, oh noble one. Did I mention I live on the coast of a pretty surfless Irish sea. A dearth of surf. I have to travel to the other end of the country to see any good rolling waves. However I have talked my wife into visiting California some time. I want to drive another section of the pan pacific highway. So may-be I will splint these aching joints and swim my board out to the big blue and ride home on the main of a wild wind swept wave. Oh to get a medial ear infection and be deaf again.

09-09-2009, 11:48 AM
had some size for my furlough day. hit up a small wind protected beach break and couldnt make out the takeoff points. sand kept shifting. got pounded and couldn't stick a bottom turn to save my life so i paddled in and called it a day after an hour or so. couldn't stomach driving 2 hours for a one hour surf, so i sat in my truck and strummed. at least the lineup was empty.

Fred Miu
09-09-2009, 02:22 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/NinjAttaK/IMG_5716.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/NinjAttaK/DSCF1598.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/NinjAttaK/DSCF1518.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/NinjAttaK/DSCF1520.jpg

the first one was my VERY first board i got off ebay for $180 total (plus shipping) and it was a custom board only surfed once! it will be my best board when i get good at shortboarding.
the second board is one of the few i shaped and glassed. still looks like it, i am selling if anyone wants it. but its a SICK design! the 3rd is my second board i shaped, glassed, fin installed, and resin swirled, for the first time. selling that one too. :(

last but not least, my baby:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/NinjAttaK/IMG_5722.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/NinjAttaK/IMG_5730.jpg

this board is my best invention EVER!. purple deck with resin swirl on the bottom. 5, yes i said it, 5 fins ( future set up ). its a fish-based board with a wing that goes into a swallow tail. thickness of a long board, yet still only a goodness of 6'2" baby!!!

09-10-2009, 12:10 PM
the tails are sort of odd. probably stick into the wave a bit too much for my liking. you no can slide the tail. you started from foam blank or just reshaped old boards? my dad's been itchin for me to get some wood so he can build a paipo.

Fred Miu
09-11-2009, 05:06 AM
actually it hold a clean line. i made boards from pure SCRATCH. oh the goodness of glassing a longboard was so fun. haha

09-11-2009, 05:47 AM
actually it hold a clean line. i made boards from pure SCRATCH. oh the goodness of glassing a longboard was so fun. haha

that's hella sick. the transition from wide point to tale had me questioning if it was from a busted gun or something. i guess that short trans plus the v tale would help stick in the pocket and the v will channel water so i'm thinking you get choke speed, but can you release easy? how did you do the rails. i think that's my biggest fear when i think about shaping.

the.ronin
09-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Ha! Check out Jason Mraz surfing the ‘bu at Surfrider’s Celebrity Expression Session (http://oceanswavesbeaches.blogspot.com/2009/09/jason-mraz-rides-few-for-surfriders.html#links). :D

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_jqLzRML3_tM/Sq8s6JYyv_I/AAAAAAAADiQ/dcyyGyA-jss/s1600/mraz.jpg

Fred Miu
09-15-2009, 12:54 PM
that's hella sick. the transition from wide point to tale had me questioning if it was from a busted gun or something. i guess that short trans plus the v tale would help stick in the pocket and the v will channel water so i'm thinking you get choke speed, but can you release easy? how did you do the rails. i think that's my biggest fear when i think about shaping.

i made my own customs rails to my own comfort. so im not sure. but the others are 60/40 except for the DR board. that board im not even sure what it is.

i dont know what its like for release due to the fact that ive only gotten to surf it about 9 times, and since its a shorter board, i still havent gotten a chance to get fully use to it. but like i said earlier, its my baby. i love it.

RyanMFT
09-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I grew up surfing in San Francisco, Pacifica, Half Moon Bay and sometimes in Santa Cruz. When I went to San Francisco State University I surfed every day at Ocean Beach in San Francisco.....which can be an intense place to surf some days.

I still have all my boards and intend to surf again but these days with a house, a career, spending time with my wife and family, and playing ukulele, I just don't get in the water but every once in a while. However, I will always consider myself a surfer as it is in my heart and soul.

I have to say that walking up the beach with my dogs and my wife and talking story about surfing days is pretty great! Guess I am getting old eh?

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-18-2009, 05:15 PM
my p.e teacher said shes gunna teach me to search once i finish school. 2weeks!

Fred Miu
09-18-2009, 05:51 PM
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I grew up surfing in San Francisco, Pacifica, Half Moon Bay and sometimes in Santa Cruz. When I went to San Francisco State University I surfed every day at Ocean Beach in San Francisco.....which can be an intense place to surf some days.

I still have all my boards and intend to surf again but these days with a house, a career, spending time with my wife and family, and playing ukulele, I just don't get in the water but every once in a while. However, I will always consider myself a surfer as it is in my heart and soul.

I have to say that walking up the beach with my dogs and my wife and talking story about surfing days is pretty great! Guess I am getting old eh?

aye brah, you live in san ramon? i live in martinez. we should hook up and jam, and go surf.

freedive135
09-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I think back in the day some guy from oz put 5 fins on a board and called it a "Bonzer".

I grew up surfin the Santa River jetty Area in HB. Then spent a few years longboarding WPB/Lakeworth FL.

Now livin in Denver my surfing is on SUP's on the lake or Kayaks in the whitewater.
There are a few guys that "surf" the standing waves on the Colorado River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTCYNnagd_E&feature=related

Ronnie Aloha
09-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Surfed a lot in high school. Went away for college. Came home on break. Friends took me out to Diamond Head after a year away in school. Could not move the next day. Arms and back were aching. Never surfed again...:(

ukulele2544
10-28-2009, 09:50 PM
I currently surf shortboard and longboard here at Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks of NC. I also compete in several amature surfing contests during the season. During surf competitions,and in-between our heats, my friends and I have ukulele jam sessions which adds that island flavor.http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww170/2surf1stVB/DSC_9165.jpghttp://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww170/2surf1stVB/DSC_6611.jpg
Is that you?

trant
10-28-2009, 10:48 PM
I currently surf shortboard and longboard here at Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks of NC. I also compete in several amature surfing contests during the season. During surf competitions,and in-between our heats, my friends and I have ukulele jam sessions which adds that island flavor.

Very cool pictures!

I sold my longboard a couple of years ago when I moved back to the UK, but now I'm in Australia again and I'm looking to pick up a mal. I was never much good, but enjoyed getting wet and sitting out the back with some friends in the mornings.
Still have my kitesurfing gear though and go out whenever it's windy. Not quite such an island style sport, but hey, it was made famous in Maui by some of the local watermen :)

11-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Very cool pictures!

I sold my longboard a couple of years ago when I moved back to the UK, but now I'm in Australia again and I'm looking to pick up a mal. I was never much good, but enjoyed getting wet and sitting out the back with some friends in the mornings.
Still have my kitesurfing gear though and go out whenever it's windy. Not quite such an island style sport, but hey, it was made famous in Maui by some of the local watermen :)

yeah local watermen from france, canada, california. hahaha Local people can't afford to kiteboard or sail board for that matter.

nice pics dakine. your fam from hawai`i?

got shacked south of santa cruz this weekend, anybody else?

haolejohn
11-02-2009, 01:32 PM
yeah local watermen from france, canada, california. hahaha Local people can't afford to kiteboard or sail board for that matter.

nice pics dakine. your fam from hawai`i?

got shacked south of santa cruz this weekend, anybody else?

Everyone i knew that kite boarded or sailboarded was either trustafarians or european.

samsam
11-13-2009, 04:03 PM
i surf the west coast to like bolsa and huntington.hawaii too when i go out there.

MrsMeyerMusic
11-14-2009, 04:15 AM
I am definitely not a surfer, but I did enjoy seeing the "illegal" surfing in the English Garden in Munich this summer!

11-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Rainy but DOH. Hit a spot where the offshores weren't as bad. Biiiiig drops but choppy. Had to prone most of the time. At least I was in the water.

Fred Miu
11-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Rainy but DOH. Hit a spot where the offshores weren't as bad. Biiiiig drops but choppy. Had to prone most of the time. At least I was in the water.

guy, we gotta go surf before i leave!

11-24-2009, 03:44 AM
definitely. been getting out less and less every year, but with furloughs i've gotten little windows that i used to use to go fishing. we need to have an UU "aloha `oe Fred Miu" get-together at OB or something.

Fred Miu
11-24-2009, 03:57 AM
respect, that would be legit.

i know IamRobbyah is dying to go surf too. we can all go.

koa
11-24-2009, 07:29 AM
Couple decades of windsurfing. Use to back in the '90s early '00s "surf" longboards. Morning session on some mellow Maui west side breaks before heading back to the Northshore for windsurfing some sweet waves. Did a bit of SUP down in S. America this past spring. The local break up here on the SouthShore (of Lake Superior) would be more suitable for SUP. Has me thinking!!!

sternship
11-25-2009, 05:49 AM
I surf and currently live in Bali! if anyone's coming out here, let me know!

:D

11-27-2009, 10:36 AM
mavericks was firing, but i was hding in a little cove south of pigeon point that took the TOH sets and wrapped it around to a small clean right barrel. bodyboard and a couple of seals to keep me company.

we need to plan a december UU at the beach!

Public Enemy
03-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Iv been surfing for 25 years (currently 36yo) i still surf at least 1-2 times a week ( I live not far from Bells Beach AUST) i switch between my Bodyboard ( i surfed on the Bodyboarding world tour for 2 years in the 90's) and my long board depending on the conditions

I still do surf trips regularly with my mates to Hawaii and Indo....

Here's a few picks from the surf This week on the south coast of OZ

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs469.ash1/25758_404454550663_745760663_5484740_5778829_n.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs469.snc3/25758_404454540663_745760663_5484738_6485272_n.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs469.ash1/25758_404454535663_745760663_5484737_7032700_n.jpg

Sorry about the quality , they were taken with my phone just before i paddled out !

MagicSeaweed
07-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Regular British Surfer here,
Amazing to see all the swell everyone else get to see all over the world but over here its very Green and very Cold :)
Haven't taken my boards very far, furthest was a drunken trip to Spain for which i cant even remember where we actually were...
After going through many boards im currently very happy with a my custom shaped Mini-mal which seems to work best for the Great British seas :)

Ahnko Honu
07-05-2010, 01:53 PM
How did I miss this thread? Been surfing since dinosaurs ruled the earth, though haven't surfed since my last back surgery. Mostly longboard now (came back full circle longboard, gun, fishtail, longboard), though love to bodysurf Sandy's, and Makapu'u but been awhile.

P-co
07-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I surf a few times a week here in West Oz. I own and run a surf shop 100m from Scarborough beach and shape a couple of boards a week. Waves are usually average here but get away north and south a few times a year to find the good ones.

P-co
07-05-2010, 02:57 PM
You can check out some of the boards I have done lately on the shop's facebook page. Cheers,
Ross

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scarborough-Australia/Longboards-Scarborough/72847742276

rowjimmytour
03-02-2011, 06:16 AM
I grew up in the Goleta area and surfed my whole life and in my early twenties moved to Santa Cruz for 3 years. While I was in SC I went to Costa Rica on a surf trip and met my future wife while there. I ended up living in Puerto Viejo for about three years and surfing Salsa Brava. We moved back to Goleta in '95 and I ended up taking a hiatus from surf and in the last three years I am back. I am currently 41 and in the best shape of my life and still manage to surf a least three times a week on average. I ride mostly short boards but I love riding a 9' nose rider and even riding a displacement hull. Below is my current quiver of boards that allows me to surf in Goleta regardless of surf conditions.

Scott Anderson-"JOSH FARBEROW"-Rounded Pintail Noserider-Single TA JF flex Fin & 9" TA CA Classic-9"-9'-15"-23"-14-1/4"-3"
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/rowjimmytour/Board%20Quiver/DSCN1499.jpg
Campbell Brothers-"Bonzer"-Swallow Tail-5 Fin Glassed on Sides Center 7" TA Bonzer-7'1"-11-1/4"-19-3/4"-13-1/4"-2-5/8"
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/rowjimmytour/Board%20Quiver/DSCN1594.jpg
Fineline-"MP"-Diamond Tail-2+1-Red X XL-1+ 7" TA-6'10"-16-1/4"-20-3/4"-15"-2-7/8"
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/rowjimmytour/Board%20Quiver/DSCN1528.jpg
Channel Islands-"Robber"-Swallow Tail-Twinner-Future CI AMT's Future AM1 (Thruster)-5'9"-19"-2-1/4"-Volume 28.5 liters
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/rowjimmytour/Board%20Quiver/HPIM0225.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/rowjimmytour/Board%20Quiver/

rowjimmytour
03-02-2011, 06:17 AM
Campbell Brothers-"Bumblebee Bonzer"-Rounded Pintail-5 Fin Glassed on Sides Center 7" TA Bonzer-5'6"-15-1/4"-21"-16-1/4"-3"
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/rowjimmytour/Board%20Quiver/DSCN1710.jpg

casarole45
03-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Yeah, used to be really into longboarding, and bodyboarding is where I started out and still enjoy. Used to get out about 3 times a week but rarely now.

I eventually stopped going partly as the attitude in the water can be really sucky most of the people are okay but it only takes the one and I'm not the sort of person that detaches from that sort of stuff.

P-co
03-03-2011, 07:01 PM
Nice quiver rowjimmytour.

rowjimmytour
03-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Nice quiver rowjimmytour.

Thanks and I see your from WA very cool. My sister in law is from WA and hope to visit some day w/ a side trip to indo :)

rowjimmytour
04-07-2011, 07:24 AM
I just added some new fins and a hand plane I made (my first) to my quiver so I have no excuse to get out and get wet:)
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/rowjimmytour/Board%20Quiver/2000.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/rowjimmytour/Board%20Quiver/DSCN1763.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/rowjimmytour/Board%20Quiver/DSCN1761.jpg

04-07-2011, 11:04 AM
ugggh da fins ripped the feet.