Cheap Pickup for a Cheap 'Ukulele

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
I bought a cheap Skylark/Northern clone baritone 'ukulele. I like it but it is a tad on the quiet side so I want to install a cheap eBay piezo pickup so I can plug into my Danelectro Honeytone amp. They have listed kits in 3 sizes 3 Khz, 4.6 Khz, and 6 Khz. Which one should I get? Mahalo! ;)

man dont bother wasting your money if you have or can borrow a soldering iron.

go spend 1.99 on a piezo element at radio shack and 1.99 on 2 audio jacks...they come in packs of 2. Crack the plastic case, pull out and solder up the element to the jack using basic wire.......bam, pickup.

That's a great instruction link!

How simple can you get? Aside from the actual drilling of the hole in the Uke!

Otherwise, wonderful info.

thanks for sharing it!

I just looked at the triple sound holes in my "Doane Clone" and the biggest one in the center is about 7/8" in diameter. Do the Radio Shack Piezos come that small?
DSC07530.JPG

they do have smaller ones with different specs...I think more expensive though. I know you can buy a set of 10 or so for a few bucks off ebay, they are about the size of a dime.

If you are talking about a cheap uke...honestly I would just drill the hole if you got room to maneuver through the sound hole. If you drill it and install it permanent, take it out of the black plastic.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave for the link.

I see WaverlyStreet has a video that shows what it sounds like, but I was wondering if you tried this yourself. If so what is your opinion on the sound?

man dont bother wasting your money if you have or can borrow a soldering iron.

go spend 1.99 on a piezo element at radio shack and 1.99 on 2 audio jacks...they come in packs of 2. Crack the plastic case, pull out and solder up the element to the jack using basic wire.......bam, pickup.

Don't even bother with the solder - insulation tape is all that's holding mine together and it's very robust.

Thanks Dave for the link.

I see WaverlyStreet has a video that shows what it sounds like, but I was wondering if you tried this yourself. If so what is your opinion on the sound?

I own that very same 'ukulele my Waverly Street #51, and she sounds great though I only have a Danelectro Honeytone amp, usually play her unplugged.

never tried tape...if it works it works.

I do alot of them for resale, so I always solder

piezos pickups sound just like the instrument, only louder...amplified, you can of course adjust the tone, so thats always great. Piezos can be sensitive if you like to crank volume...you can get feedback if you're sitting too close, but i've never had a problem.

I gather that the best place to install the pickup is closest to the first string under the bridge. As seen in the picture of my "Doane Clone" 'ukulele the sound hole is tiny, and far away from the bridge. How critical is the distance from the bridge? Also I read to glue the pickup on with epoxy, and also to double stick tape the pickup on. What works best? Mahalo for all the input. ;)

never tried tape...if it works it works.

I do alot of them for resale, so I always solder

piezos pickups sound just like the instrument, only louder...amplified, you can of course adjust the tone, so thats always great. Piezos can be sensitive if you like to crank volume...you can get feedback if you're sitting too close, but i've never had a problem.

How does the size and Khz rating of the piezo effect sound quality? Is bigger better? Will a small diameter piezo that can fits through the sound hole still have decent sound quality?

Psssst... Dave IS Waverly Street.

LOL - I guess he did try it :eek:

I did it to my Oscar Schmidt using the WS instructions. Very easy to install. A little more difficult to make it sound good through an amp, IMHO. And I have a very good acoustic amp. My opinion is that cheap pickup + cheap uke = cheap sound.

I was wondering about that myself.
I guess you get what you pay for.

But if a person doesn't want to pay more for the pickup than they paid for thier uke, this should be a viable option.

Thanks

Most people I know try to put it on the bass side of the bridge since its already a small, high pitch kinda instrument...but to each his own, and at the end of the day, you will have adjustments on your amp. I tend to go for the bass side though to balance the sound transmission.

man i never paid much attn to the spec ratings...they all will produce the same sound since all they're doing is translating the vibrations from the wood into the amp. Smaller diameter piezos do produce less volume, but not so much that it should even be an issue.

in all fairness though, I'm just a hack...I imagine the specs may affect something somewhere, but to what extent...i have never noticed anything.

its a great option...in fact unless its a custom or expensive uke, its really the best option. You can do it for about $3.50 on your own...or you can spend $35 on a dean markley stick on pickup that is exactly the same thing with a pretty wood enclosure (which you can also do on your own in 5 minutes with scrap wood) and shielded cable (which you wont need cuz you got the jack)

Top Bottom