No ukers in my area - What to do?

Melissa82

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I'm getting really bummed because I can't connect with anyone in the area who plays uke. I've spoken with one person and meet ups are impossible cuz neither of us have vehicles and local transit is a joke. I'm at a stage where I feel I really need to be around someone who plays to get any further in my learning. Any suggestions?

Melissa before I found UU i thought I was the only uker in Georgia and back in 2003 when I moved back to Georgia I might have been the only uker other than DeG. I put the uke down and didn't pick it up until just before I got married when I got frustrated with the guitar once again. I started playing with guitar players. I know it is a different instrument but playing music is playing music.

Why not check out the live mini Jamz that they have been doing every night? It is almost like being there...
Edit: Or you could host one, then start a thread inviting people to help you learn a specific song or help you with a road block, etc...
I don't know about that... I don't really feel comfortable doing that kind of thing yet.

Melissa before I found UU i thought I was the only uker in Georgia and back in 2003 when I moved back to Georgia I might have been the only uker other than DeG. I put the uke down and didn't pick it up until just before I got married when I got frustrated with the guitar once again. I started playing with guitar players. I know it is a different instrument but playing music is playing music.
I have been thinking about getting a guitar. I was trying to decide between uke and guitar and in the end, I want to learn them both. My roommate has a guitar but won't let me use it. The fact we hate each other might have something to do with it, lol.

I don't know about that... I don't really feel comfortable doing that kind of thing yet.

Go hang out at the next one and watch... you don't need a camera to watch.
It is pretty laid back, mostly goofiness and fun.

I have seen it already. Then they started talking about ghosts and skeered me away, lol.

Are they truly beneficial? I didn't know that you don't need anything special to see them. I'd need a web cam to jam?

Melissa, how about you put out a call to fellow UUers and start a jam group for new players that "meets" say, once a week at a set time online? Pick a piece to work on each time and post it in advance so people have a chance to practice it.

I think a group like this could be a big hit, especially with a focus for beginning players. Frankly, some of the jamz here seem to be rather unfocused, and often feature players whose skills are downright intimidating to me so I wouldn't feel comfortable joining in.

Even if you only get one or two other people, you'll have fun and get to feel connected with other ukers. Heck, I might even join you if I ever get around to re-installing my webcam. :)

Melissa, how about you put out a call to fellow UUers and start a jam group for new players that "meets" say, once a week at a set time online? Pick a piece to work on each time and post it in advance so people have a chance to practice it.

I think a group like this could be a big hit, especially with a focus for beginning players. Frankly, some of the jamz here seem to be rather unfocused, and often feature players whose skills are downright intimidating to me so I wouldn't feel comfortable joining in.

Even if you only get one or two other people, you'll have fun and get to feel connected with other ukers. Heck, I might even join you if I ever get around to re-installing my webcam. :)
That's a very good idea but I am much a "in-person" type. Maybe someone else can do this. The mini jams people already have something like this anyways so maybe they can work on it.

Just talk Uke Republic into hosting a Jojah "Rebel Yell" Ukulele Festival. :shaka:

no matter what you do and no matter where you go there will always be somebody better then you.. thats life... theres always someone worse too .. you just have to accept that and join society and dont let ppl get you down because they are better than you .. i suck and i still jam with ppl who kick my butt ! it makes me wanna improve

I have seen it already. Then they started talking about ghosts and skeered me away, lol.

hahah we just joke cause the ghosts come in and watch and dont ever join .. we really just try to have a good time.. i suck melissa.. you cant be much worse than me.. im the worse one in the jamz lol .. but its still a blast and we all help eachother with stuff as well .. so please come sometime !

...Frankly, some of the jamz here seem to be rather unfocused, and often feature players whose skills are downright intimidating to me so I wouldn't feel comfortable joining in...

It surprises me that you feel intimidated - I have only experienced absolutely fantastic support during the jam sessions. There are so many different skill sets every time - it's great fun to see, and we usually all help each other out on various strumming, songs, etc...You should really try it out, to think anyone will judge you in an "unfocused" jam session is silly :p

You too Melissa - really, even if it's just trying it once...it has really boosted my confidence and let's me play with a whole mess of fun people! :)

It surprises me that you feel intimidated - I have only experienced absolutely fantastic support during the jam sessions. There are so many different skill sets every time - it's great fun to see, and we usually all help each other out on various strumming, songs, etc...You should really try it out, to think anyone will judge you in an "unfocused" jam session is silly :p

You too Melissa - really, even if it's just trying it once...it has really boosted my confidence and let's me play with a whole mess of fun people! :)

no lisa they have never even joined itsme was a ghost and got mad cause someone was playing gently weeps and i said he reminds me of jake... that is in no way intended to intimidate anyone. he does if you look at nam when he plays he moves like jake does.. and by watching him play in the "unfocused" jams... i have gotten the courage to try gently weeps and im positive he would be more than happy to help me learn it ! he is nothing but helpful when he is in and that goes for everyone .. we all help eachother .. were like a little family .. its awesome to see people progress on what they have been working on and i really think the uu jams have helped me become better

I also encourage everyone to come. Not intimidating at all. Hell.. Seeso helped Colin and Britni write a song right in front of our eyes. It was awesome.

But back on the main subject... Melissa I was bummed for a long time too. Be patient: A uke club recently started in my area. The uke is getting popular very quickly so there's sure to be some soon in your neck of the woods. Definitely check the fleamarketmusic.com directories from time to time to see if you find anyone in your area.

Just don't get discouraged! You can get further with playing by yourself. Not that I'm any good, but I've only jammed with other ukers 1 time in real life, and we just strummed chords. It was fun, but it didn't make me better. All my playing skills came from watching people like Seeso, Aldrine, Dominator, Russ Buss, etc, playing Seeso's tabs that are in the description section of his videos, and asking questions on UU/Watching live lessons here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom