Gdae?

Brewerpaul

Reaction score
Anyone here tried tuning a Uke like a fiddle or mandolin? I play a lot of Celtic mandolin and trying to play Irish tunes on the Uke gets a bit confusing. I know it would sound less "uke-ish" but might be interesting.

Never done this myself, but a friend of mine keeps all his ukes in GDAE. Sounds still uke-ish to me, but with a certain flavor. Strings should be of no concern, they can take it. You should definitely go for it, if you feel more comfortable with the mandolin tuning.:)

Oi! Paul! Stop it, mate. That's the devil's behaviour you're promoting there! :D ;)

It it's 'The Kesh' or 'Top of the Cork Road' or 'The Blackthorn' you want to play, just pick up your mandolin or a whistle, man! LOL:D

Ukes are for uking with.

Repeat after me: "Tiptoe through the tulips... When I'm cleaning windows... On a white, sandy beach... I'll see you in my dreams..."

Disclaimer: Tongue in cheek, here.

I tried it once. I was inspired by Ani DiFranco's work, she plays a tenor guitar. I popped two A strings trying to get that high.

OK Buddhu-- you win. I have a pretty decent mandolin to play when the Celtic muses whisper in me ear... plinky plink it is for my uke!

I tried it once. I was inspired by Ani DiFranco's work, she plays a tenor guitar. I popped two A strings trying to get that high.

I popped my G string trying to sing that high once. :eek:

Top Bottom