I need your advice

JumpingPulgas

Reaction score
My bro-in-law is selling his American made Fender Strat. It was made in the late '80's and the pickguard is blemished, but it plays and sounds great when he plays it. He used it a lot for his gigs. How much do you think I should offer him for it? Is there a place where I can get it appraised?

Thanks for the help!

Run an ebay search. There's thousands of strats for sale, American, Mexican, Japanese, etc. That'll give you an idea of its worth. The 80's is not a vintage period, really, so no mark-up just for being old.

Thanks BrokenWing. I appreciate your help.

Run an ebay search. There's thousands of strats for sale, American, Mexican, Japanese, etc. That'll give you an idea of its worth. The 80's is not a vintage period, really, so no mark-up just for being old.

I got my American Made Fender Strat back from the Fender service center. I had it setup and some knobs/pot replaced. Now I just got to learn how to play it :D Any suggestions on an amp? I was looking into the Vox AD50VT and Roland Cube 60.

Unless you're playing with a band (i.e. DRUMMER:eek:) don't buy anything over 20 watts. Most people make the mistake of buying waaaay more amp than they need.

BTW, a 40 watt amp is not twice as loud as a 20 watt amp. New buyers make that mistake all the time. More watts just gets you more clean headroom before the amp starts to break up and give that nice, creamy distortion (which most people shoot for).

My old, 20 watt Fender was louder than I could ever take advantage of. If you're playing in a bar with a band - different story. Then 20-40 watts. Anything more than that and you're talking large or outdoor venues.

Tube is classic but don't discount solid-state. Affordable and sounds good. You can buy tube once you know what you're doing.

Sounds like a practice amp would do you fine to start with. Fender, Marshall, Vox, Gibson.

Top Bottom