Kala KA-KTE

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
So I'm trying to decide whether to get the Kala KA-KTE or the Kala Cedar.

Would anyone who has the KA-KTE like to make a video to demonstrate its sound?

If so, I'd be greatly obliged.

Attachments

• PC230578.jpg
    PC230578.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
i dont think thats a KTE. i think its one of the mahogany series (TE).

Hmm maybe he has both, he said in the "what uke are you playing" thread he had a KA-KTE.

Yeah, it looks like a Mahogany.

boo!! haha yea i got busy with sum college stuff n holidays and whatnot^_^ don't worry hehe i'm not dead

Attachments

• IMG_7988.jpg
    IMG_7988.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8069.jpg
    IMG_8069.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8075.jpg
    IMG_8075.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8078.jpg
    IMG_8078.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_8055.jpg
    IMG_8055.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7964.jpg
    IMG_7964.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7965.jpg
    IMG_7965.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7967.jpg
    IMG_7967.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7968.jpg
    IMG_7968.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 4
boo!! haha yea i got busy with sum college stuff n holidays and whatnot^_^ don't worry hehe i'm not dead

Terrell! The original member of ukulele underground is back!

haha yea i gotta get my post count up there with u and fred. u guys all have triple digits. haha but i think i was the first person to join^_^. not 100% sure but yea i think the first 5 ppl that joined should get a smiley face sticker!!:p

lanikai is made by the hohner company. the guy that started kala used to work with hohner, and ended up leaving because of some issues. i dont know exactly to what extent those issues were, or what his position there was. but the similarities between some of the kalas and lanikais are almost uncanny... which led me to do some research. basically came down to this...

both are mass produced.
kala is a smaller company, concentrating on decent quality affordable ukes, while lanikai is a bigger company that can afford to sell mass produced ukes at lower prices.

personally, i prefer kala. because they are a smaller company, i felt that they would put a little more thought and expertise into the manufacture of their ukes. but of course this is all through speculation, since i dont have a super extensive background in field testing either. but i can say that all the kalas i have ever heard in person sound a little better than all the comparable lanikais i have heard in person.

lanikai is made by the hohner company. the guy that started kala used to work with hohner, and ended up leaving because of some issues. i dont know exactly to what extent those issues were, or what his position there was. but the similarities between some of the kalas and lanikais are almost uncanny... which led me to do some research. basically came down to this...

both are mass produced.
kala is a smaller company, concentrating on decent quality affordable ukes, while lanikai is a bigger company that can afford to sell mass produced ukes at lower prices.

personally, i prefer kala. because they are a smaller company, i felt that they would put a little more thought and expertise into the manufacture of their ukes. but of course this is all through speculation, since i dont have a super extensive background in field testing either. but i can say that all the kalas i have ever heard in person sound a little better than all the comparable lanikais i have heard in person.

Nice one Nuke.

Thanks for that mate.. I appreciate your opinion and thoughts.
As you are aware that im looking to purchase one. I have this $100 Ukulele for i think 7 months now, and its about time i buy a new one.. The one i currently have is the Mahalo Tenor.

The 3 ukuleles that Im currently keeping an eye on. These can be found on Ebay in Mikes store.

KALA KA-KTE Koa Tenor Ukulele w/pu -
$295.75 p/h - $54.00

Lanikai brand new KOA TENOR UKULELE W SHADOW P/U CK-TEQ -
$279.95 p/h - $55.00

LEOLANI TENOR ELECTRIC UKULELE ROSEWOOD SPRUCE w case -
$209.95 p/h - $55.00

What do you guys think??

which one for better value?

i own a kala k6e, which is basically the same as the kte but six string format with a classical style headstock. i can tell you with conviction that the described koa ukulele is NOT solid koa, but rather a koa laminate. so if you are into the koa look but not necessarily the sound or performance, then theres nothing wrong with it. but dont get me wrong. for the money, its a great uke. its actually louder, when strummed similarly, than my classical guitar. but its tone is not that of a solid koa instrument. its still nice. but you get what you pay for.

the lanikai, in its sense of being koa, is the same deal. just a laminate over what i believe to be mahogany. i havent played the lanikai, but im sure it sounds just as good as the kala. but if solid wood is what you are looking for, then this might not be for you.

i own a leolani as well, but its made from solid zebrawood, which gives it a nice warm sound with a little punch. my experience with spruce, however is a much brighter delivery. spruce (like on my lanikai) seems to be popular for use on guitars because of its sound transfer characteristics, but on these smaller instruments, i think its a little bright for my personal taste. but for what its worth, it does sound nice. just not what im looking for from a uke, so im staying away from spruce tops from now on.

all that being said, if i were only to choose from the three, it would be the kala. the extra few bucks is nothing for the peace of mind that i got a uke from the company that i prefer (between kala and lanikai). plus, a cutaway is a HUGE plus with me hehehe.

i own a kala k6e, which is basically the same as the kte but six string format with a classical style headstock. i can tell you with conviction that the described koa ukulele is NOT solid koa, but rather a koa laminate. so if you are into the koa look but not necessarily the sound or performance, then theres nothing wrong with it. but dont get me wrong. for the money, its a great uke. its actually louder, when strummed similarly, than my classical guitar. but its tone is not that of a solid koa instrument. its still nice. but you get what you pay for.

the lanikai, in its sense of being koa, is the same deal. just a laminate over what i believe to be mahogany. i havent played the lanikai, but im sure it sounds just as good as the kala. but if solid wood is what you are looking for, then this might not be for you.

i own a leolani as well, but its made from solid zebrawood, which gives it a nice warm sound with a little punch. my experience with spruce, however is a much brighter delivery. spruce (like on my lanikai) seems to be popular for use on guitars because of its sound transfer characteristics, but on these smaller instruments, i think its a little bright for my personal taste. but for what its worth, it does sound nice. just not what im looking for from a uke, so im staying away from spruce tops from now on.

all that being said, if i were only to choose from the three, it would be the kala. the extra few bucks is nothing for the peace of mind that i got a uke from the company that i prefer (between kala and lanikai). plus, a cutaway is a HUGE plus with me hehehe.

i think i might go with the Kala!

You seem to convince me
HAHA
But of course... I still need to research abit more to come into a conclusion...

Thank you for your opinion.. Appreciate it

do you have a certain budget? or are you just trying to get the best bang for your buck? reason im asking is because for $100-150 more, you could get an ukulele of really decent quality with solid wood construction. it might not have all the coolness factor of a cutaway and electronics, but a cutaway is not absolutely necessary, and a pickup can be added later on. and even some strap buttons.

and for about $350 you can get the applause tenor like aldrine's.

sorry if im just confusing your decision more. i just wanna make sure you know there are other good ukes out there. and to not base your decision solely on my opinion. and then end up regretting your purchase because my tastes dont necessarily match yours. hehehe. i couldnt live with that on my conscience.

do you have a certain budget? or are you just trying to get the best bang for your buck? reason im asking is because for $100-150 more, you could get an ukulele of really decent quality with solid wood construction. it might not have all the coolness factor of a cutaway and electronics, but a cutaway is not absolutely necessary, and a pickup can be added later on. and even some strap buttons.

and for about $350 you can get the applause tenor like aldrine's.

sorry if im just confusing your decision more. i just wanna make sure you know there are other good ukes out there. and to not base your decision solely on my opinion. and then end up regretting your purchase because my tastes dont necessarily match yours. hehehe. i couldnt live with that on my conscience.

Well, I did want to get something that was about $300.

I'm not big on those Applauses. Mainly because I don't like Ovation guitars with those rounded backs. Do the Applause ukuleles have rounded backs too?

Well, I did want to get something that was about $300.

I'm not big on those Applauses. Mainly because I don't like Ovation guitars with those rounded backs. Do the Applause ukuleles have rounded backs too?

yeah the applause ukes have round backs too. thats the only reason i dont think much of em either. but they sound great.

It was the choice of the

Codobra concert
Kala Soild Koa Tenor
Lankai Soild Koa Tenor
Honu Big Island Soild Koa Tenor

Not getting the Codobra

Still tossing between the Three that are left..
Budget wise.. Doesnt matter.. But i seriously need quality, inotation. Clarity. U get the drift.

What u guys reckon? Just to get an idea what I'm playing on now, Its a mahalo Tenor that cost me 100bucks at the lock music store.. Since I'm from Australia, There isn't much music stores that stock up kalas, lankai and the other brands. I'd have to purchase it off ebay not Muscianfriend (they don't ship to Australia :(... )

As already been told by Nukey that kala is one of the leading brands with excellent tone, and would be a brilliant purchase..

Top Bottom