Victoria Vox at Elderly Instruments

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Went to see Victoria Vox tonight at Elderly Instruments in Lansing, MI. Though I'm not a fan of her music, she's great. Very talented singer/songwriter, and makes the uke sound off in some complex and unusual ways. She gets a lot of percussion out of it. I took some pictures--you can see them here.

Here's a small one, now:
VVox_001tn.jpg

Her workshop indicates it's for beginners, but it was well beyond me, so I just smiled and watched, for the most part. She's good fun, that's for sure.

Isn't she cool!? :)
I wasn't expecting to like her music, either, but she really does put on a fun show and she is an amazing singer.

I didnt know elderly was an actual walk in store. huh. cool!

Victoria's Koaloha Pineapple Sundae

We got Victoria to talk about her ukes a bit (as you can imagine, it wasn't hard). Apparently her first uke was given to her, though she didn't mention what kind. She liked to play around with it, but didn't use it in any of her performances. Her mom asked her why not, and she said, because she couldn't plug it in and didn't want to deal with the extra mic. So her mom bought her a fluke, which she used professionally until she was on her first tour of Hawaii. After just a couple days there she received an email from Koaloha, offering sponsorship. In last night's show (Aug 13), she used two Koaloha ukes, both concert ukes, both Pineapple Sundaes. The one was the usual koa construction, the other, seen here (sorta), I believe she said was made from ebony with a spruce top. Someone asked her how much it cost, and she said $5000. It was a lovely uke! Try though I may, I couldn't find it online. The cool thing about it is, she's using ukes most of us just dream about, and has never purchased one. Talk about playing your cards right.
VVox_002tn.jpg

Victoria Vox was in Vermont in April 2008, and very graciously stopped off in Middlebury to give the Vermont Ukulele Society a wonderful workshop in songwriting, give us some ukulele tips. We finished up with a group performance of "Ukulele Lady" ! Definitely go hear her in person - she's an excellent performer!

Sounds like it was a great performance. I'm going to see her in Ottawa next weekend... now I'm really starting to get pumped!

Top Bottom