Legend of the Seeker

khrome

UU+
Reaction score
This is a fantasy series I found by accident when I was looking for something to watch on netflix. It's based on the Sword of Truth novels by Terry Goodkind. They'll be starting the second season in November, I think. The show has it's good moments and bad - it's laid out so that each episode is a side quest of a large overall quest that the protagonist is working towards. But because of that, some episodes might be interesting, some might be boring, and there are some really cheesy parts you have to get past. But it's entertaining, if you need something to watch before new shows start in the fall.

http://www.legendoftheseeker.com/

My wife has been a fan of the book series for the longest time and has fallen in love with the TV show. I hate to say it but I have watched every episode with her. I keep on telling myself it's because of the women in corsets, but I am actually liking the show:p

My wife has been a fan of the book series for the longest time and has fallen in love with the TV show. I hate to say it but I have watched every episode with her. I keep on telling myself it's because of the women in corsets, but I am actually liking the show:p

That is interesting that your wife likes both the books and the series. Most people that I've talked to that are fan of the books didn't like the tv show. I haven't read the books but after seeing the show they are now on my to-read list.

I just finished the tv series yesterday and I must say, the episodes do get better as the series progresses - I guess the actors and writers just need time to settle into the characters and the feel of the show. Also as a viewer, it takes a while for us to get the feel of the show too - is it serious? Is it a comedy or drama, or both? That sort of thing. I was pretty happy with it and can't wait for the new season to start. :)

I thought this started out as a mini series and I'm happy that they decided to extend it. I want to see how they play out the Kahlen/Richard story.

Last edited:
Hey buffy and angel fans!!!

Charisma Carpenter is a Mord'Sith in Legend of the Seeker! :D

yg87vxl

I liked the first season. then i bought the first book that it was based on and loved the book. just started reading the second book but not liking the second season as much atn for some reason.

I'm really digging season two - what about you guys? It's a little darker, less campy, and everyone has settled into their characters. I really like the character development going on with Cara.

Charisma Carpenter is a Mord'Sith in Legend of the Seeker! :D

yg87vxl

Charisma has charisma, I'd watch it just for Charisma.

Unfortunately Charisma was only in the one episode. I was sad. But they have Jolene Blalock in a couple of episodes, if you guys ever saw Star Trek: Enterprise - she played T-Pol. I call her Angelina Jolie Lite. lol

JoleneBla_Theo_13510272_Max_1255376865.jpg

I hate this show with a seething passion. It makes sense to vent about it at UU because this is a music forum, and why I hate it because of the score. The "composer" who scores this series keeps ripping off Bear McCreary (composer who did the new Battlestar Galactica, Caprica, Eureka, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Trauma, Human Target, and so on). He ripped off a main theme Bear used wrote for BSG (the Roslin religious theme), and then he gets an emmy nomination for it! What the frak?

As just one example:

The second sample was a theme introduced early in the BSG storyline, back in season 1 or 2, so it comes very much before the hack job in the first video. I figure on a music site, ripping off compositions and putting your own name to them and getting Emmy nominations for it probably isn't cool. :) So if you're a fan of this show and think the music is totally original, you'll probably really get a kick out of the shows Bear scores.

I get pretty mad when it sounds like someone has ripped off a song, for example the Josh Groban song from that train movie sounds like the Edward Scissorhands dancing-in-the-snow song. But I really don't see the similarities between the two clips you posted. BSG is primarily strings, LotS is primarily horns (sounds like an oboe. BSG is mainly in a minor key, possibly a middle eastern scale, and the LotS clip switches between major and minor key. Could you point out the parts you think are similar? BTW, I'm not saying you should like the show, or what you said is invalid, I'm just curious as to what parts you think make the compositions similar.

Joseph LoDuca, who composed on LotS, has a long list of credits to his name. A lot of these movies are in the same genre as LotS
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006173/
If you listen to the Xena main theme, you can even say McCreary ripped off LoDuca. In actuality, both sounds have elements that can be traced back to traditional middle eastern music.

Last edited:
Well if you to write out the melody on some staff paper, they're the same. I'm not talking about orchestration I'm talking about the music itself. It's not like I'm the only one who noticed, it's all over other music forums, because apparently the guy did it again in a recent episode and with another melody.

Here's the line I'm referring to:

Now if both cues begin with the same opening 5th, well that's a coincidence. But Seeker cue continues to copy the BSG cue for 3 more measures. Even Bear was taken aback that he did that - but he's such a nice guy he gives the benefit of the doubt that the composer is being made to match the temp score put in by the editors, and the editors may be temping BSG there.

Note: the music attached here isn't exact, it's an earlier evolution of the Roslin theme, but I think it's enough to get the idea of which bit I'm referring to. Chopsticks played on a piano or a trumpet is still Chopsticks.

Attachments

• theme-roslin.jpg
    theme-roslin.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Well if you to write out the melody on some staff paper, they're the same. I'm not talking about orchestration I'm talking about the music itself. It's not like I'm the only one who noticed, it's all over other music forums, because apparently the guy did it again in a recent episode and with another melody.

Here's the line I'm referring to:

Now if both cues begin with the same opening 5th, well that's a coincidence. But Seeker cue continues to copy the BSG cue for 3 more measures. Even Bear was taken aback that he did that - but he's such a nice guy he gives the benefit of the doubt that the composer is being made to match the temp score put in by the editors, and the editors may be temping BSG there.

Note: the music attached here isn't exact, it's an earlier evolution of the Roslin theme, but I think it's enough to get the idea of which bit I'm referring to. Chopsticks played on a piano or a trumpet is still Chopsticks.

I played this on keyboard along with the LotS vid you posted, at 1:30 into the vid. Two measures matched exactly, the rest harmonized (which is not surprising since they are in the same key) but did not match exactly. I wouldnt call 2 measures out of an entire score plagarism. The chances of that happening is actually pretty good in this scale - I was pretty sure I heard a similar melody before on some old bellydance cds. I don't have time to go through my cds to find it, but I did a quick search on youtube and this guy does an Arabic scale improv on piano. You can hear the Roslin melody in there - there are just a lot more notes in between. :)

PS - I'm not supporting Joseph LoDuca because I like the show. In fact, I hadn't paid attention to either soundtrack until you brought it up - neither made that much of an impression on me. It's just that plagiarism is a serious accusation. And to discount an entire work because of 2 measures seems a little unfair, especially when we don't know for sure that those two measures were done coincidentally.

I was flicking through the channels and found this show yesterday. It's ok. It's like a cheesy version of a MMPORG, lol.

I was flicking through the channels and found this show yesterday. It's ok. It's like a cheesy version of a MMPORG, lol.

lol kind of. Give it a couple of episodes - it has a little more depth than an MMO. I don't know about you, but I never follow the storyline in MMO's - I just go where I need to and do the quest. I don't even know why they use the" -RPG" part in the acronym because no one is ever actually roll playing (unless you are on a dedicated RP-only server.)

ETA: Oh, but sometimes we'll comment like "she's out of mana!" when Kahlen confesses someone or "nerf Zed!" when Zed casts a spell because he's too powerful. :)

Last edited:
I don't agree that the chances are pretty good at all. It's not just the key, or the intervals between the notes. It the fact that the the meter or length of the notes hasn't been changed at all. In other words, the melody hasn't been changed at all, and the rest of it could just as easily fit there. Come on.

Because otherwise what this is doing is defending a composer for composing by Xerox. If he wanted to use that scale and those notes, he could work with the same notes and change the length of those notes, and come up with his own thing entirely. Bear's theory was that he was made to match the temp track. That's the nice way of looking at it because the alternative to that would be that he ripped off someone else's work.

I forgot that the nature of this site is to never discuss such things, but search around if you're interested in this discussion. I'm not discovering new ideas here. It's been talked about extensively, and I'm not saying something that hasn't been said by many already.

Last edited:
You mind explaining what this means?

Sure. :) I mean that the vibe of this site is more about everyone getting along and that means agreeing with everyone else. People don't like to disagree here. It's just the nature of the community. Nothing wrong with that, only that sometimes we can misunderstand disagreeing on a point with disagreeing with each other. Every forum has a different vibe to it, it's just tough for me to sometimes gauge how to get along with the group here. I forgot that what's normal on one site won't be normal on another.

I was hardly slamming UU if that's what you mean. I get the feeling that I rubbed you the wrong way. Different forums just do things in different ways. It has nothing to do with mods or rules, just the people that make up the community itself. Just delete my posts if I said something wrong.

Top Bottom