hey guys broke my uke. any tips?

Ouch, man. :(

Should be repairable, but I doubt it could be invisible, and it would probably cost a lot.

Bill Monroe, the bluegrass fella, had a mandolin that got trashed a lot worse. His instrument was rebuilt by the late Charlie Derrington at Gibson. See the last thumbnail on this page. That repair had to cope with some serious string tension.

The most astonishing things are possible for a good repairman/luthier, but time and skill don't come cheap.

I feel your pain and I wish I had a practical, helpful suggestion.

Good luck, mate.

I think that much damage is going to tke a professional luthier...I'm sure it will cost a bit...maybe one of the luthiers on here knows someone in your area. That looks so bad...I'm sorry for your KPK, but looking honestly makes me a little queazy...did some one sit on it, or was this a drop?:uhoh:

Awww... that's too bad....
Perhaps its time for a new uke?

If you can buy online, that would be the best.
Though I have seen one music store in Australia with decent ukes so far :)

That's not a great picture, but what I see is repairable. No, it won't win any beauty contests when it's fixed, but you'll be able to play tunes.

Don't know about string tensions. But have you seen a picture of Willie Nelson's guitar he's been playing for years?

http://philspector.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/willie-nelsons-guitar.jpg

Don't know how much money you have into your Ukulele but I remember seeing a post and I think some photographs of a Ukulele that Deach's daughter broke. He took the neck from the Ukulele and mounted it on a cigar box and made it into a cigar box Ukulele.

Have a Great Day,
Jim

For what it's worth, the ukulele I play in most of my YT vids was nearly as bad when I got it. Three splits in the back. Two splits along the side, running the full length of the body. Neck broken off. I just worked some hide glue into the cracks and glued the neck back on. I did buy and use two pencil-length bar clamps ($10?) to cinch the sides during gluing. Seems one of your biggest issues is going to be leveling out the pieces of the top. You might try cutting little chunks out of pencils to use as interior props while the glue dries. (Don't get glue on them or you'll have trouble getting them back out.) You might consider a little wooden cleat (piece of a popsicle stick?) across the crack just inside the soundhole. Use one of those black spring metal paperclips as a clamp during gluing. Note that I am not a luthier, so I know not whereof I speak. I just like to buy, fix and play beat-up ukes.

I just like to buy, fix and play beat-up ukes.

That's a beautiful philosophy, to take something broken, make it whole again and give it a second chance. Instruments like that are truly special :)

uke been to australia?, I really hope you get yours fixed!

I made the bridge that's on Willie Nelson's guitar...

See Rick? Every time I think I've read the coolest story from you, you drop little bombs like that which make me want to do this:

:bowdown:

thanks for the advise guys
im definatley going to get it back and singing and i think i found a guy around me that can do it.

the story is that i had iit on my desk and the photos on my bookshelf slipped and caused a domino effect knocking my money box off the shelf and onto my uke.
nobody bumped the shelf so it was just bad luck i think.

ill be entering the legend of ohana ukulele aswell so i have a chance at a new uke :) there are so many good entres already though

It can be fixed, but remember wood was and is a living thing. First, LOOSEN THE STRINGS or take them off! Use some flat pieces of plastic or wood covered with wax paper on the inside, smooth hyde or other waterproof glue onto the top and into the small cracks, put a similar plastic or wood piece w/ waxpaper on top, and clamp flat with small clamps. The plastic or wood needs to spread the tension so the wood dries FLAT. After it sits for a day or so, remove the clamps amd plastic plates, and see what you have.
The larger crack ( looks like just 1 big one) may need to be filled with a good quality filler if it still has open space. After it dries, sand it all smooth gently with fine sandpaper and put on a thin coat of polyurethane varnish ( it will flex better). String it and try it... your cost won't be much, and if it holds up you have your baby back... but no guarantees. This is offered without seeing or holding it, so take it as such. Good luck!

I read somewhere that you can put a balloon in the soundhole and blow it up. It puts pressure on the inside and may flatten it out. Put glue then blow up balloon. I read this and have not tried it, so do so at your own risk. The person also said dont blow it up too hard.

Good Luck,
Thomas

Oh that's a shame!

I wouldn't know how to fix that. I actually broke mine a while ago. The neck broke off the body and i epoxied it back, still works perfect and stays in tune!

Top Bottom