Introducing my new uke!

Amy

Reaction score
It started with a question in the Luthier's forum...
( http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15164 )

And now it's a real ukulele, built by Brad Donaldson of Oregon, a most talented luthier.
3822852955_e49e089dbc.jpg

3822851399_4be5dd72a2.jpg

3822851685_ebea579548.jpg

3822853475_31b9317f30.jpg

The rest of the pics are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amyknitty/sets/72157622031541872/

The key feature is, of course, the concave back. It's designed to be more comfortable to hold and less slippy for female players, but in passing it around at my uke jam this past Wednesday, every single person, male or female, said they found it extremely comfortable to hold -- moreso than their own ukes. (I'm not exaggerating. I was surprised to hear this from the guys too!) The concave back also seemed to help the sound resonate front AND back -- especially with the male players, since the back of the uke wasn't compressed against their chest.

Because Brad was building this uke just for me, he also adjusted the fretboard width/scale to suit my small hands. The nut is the same width as my sopranino, and the scale is 14" (more soprano than concert). The body is concert-sized.

Video is here ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmi4pr2BM-k ) -- that's a good friend playing her for me, so you could hear what she sounds like in the hands of a skilled player. I don't do her justice yet, despite my deep love.

Because everyone who touched her at the uke jam wanted to know pricing, here it is: $400 for a basic soprano, $450 for a basic concert (Brad calls mine a basic concert model...awfully spiffy for a basic model, eh?). Koa will be $50-100 more depending on the amount of figure. The model name is "Amy". (Eee!)

I love everything about this uke and feel really honored (and excited) to have the first one Brad built! I just wanted to share my excitement with y'all.

Wow, the back, aside from the curve, looks great with those woods.

That is an absolutely gorgeous uke!! And such an innovative idea too. Have fun with it-- the video sounds awesome. :shaka:

That's awesome - not just because it solves the problem as planned, but because it appears to have opened the door to a new concept in acoustic design as well. Congratulations!!! Well done.:nana:

Wow! It sounds lovely! And looks lovely! Loveliness abounds! I can't wait to see more Amys (Amies? What a great name, by the by!) and maybe one day I'll be able to hold one in my own little hands!

But seriously, it sounds like it's a pretty amazing little instrument. You're a lucky lady!

Amy, it's a gorgeous looking uke, and I have no doubt it's well made and sounds fantastic. :)

But I have to wonder... the concave is what? Half an inch, maybe a whole inch at most? How much of an advantage does that really afford to a DD-cup lady vs. those of us who are less top heavy or even men (at least those without pronounced "man-boobs")? :confused:

Amy, it's a gorgeous looking uke, and I have no doubt it's well made and sounds fantastic. :)

But I have to wonder... the concave is what? Half an inch, maybe a whole inch at most? How much of an advantage does that really afford to a DD-cup lady vs. those of us who are less top heavy or even men (at least those without pronounced "man-boobs")? :confused:

A flat surface has no edges to hang on with. This concave space is enough to create an area that wants to stay put over any protrusion, no matter the size. It's not welded in place, but it's no longer a sheet of ice that I'm trying to hold steady against my shirt.

Perhaps this is something you'd have to try for yourself to see if it would suit you? I just know that I'm very happy with it!

The boobulele is real now! Such a cool thing that this went from something we kinda laughed about to something real. So glad you got what you were looking for. It sounds verrry nice. And looks totally amazing.

A flat surface has no edges to hang on with. This concave space is enough to create an area that wants to stay put over any protrusion, no matter the size. It's not welded in place, but it's no longer a sheet of ice that I'm trying to hold steady against my shirt.

Perhaps this is something you'd have to try for yourself to see if it would suit you? I just know that I'm very happy with it!
That's cool, but I've played a full-sized guitar for years and never felt that my breasts were an issue when it came to holding/playing it, same with my new tenor uke. :)

I'd love to check out an "Amy" model uke for myself, but will proably never get the chance.

Top Bottom