Another Sonny Daze in the Making

Steiner

Reaction score
I'm going to chronicle this from the very beginning.

This is the cigar box that's going to be used. I got it on ebay and shipped it, so it's in his hands now.

Attachments

• Indie box 1.jpg
    Indie box 1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Indie box 2.jpg
    Indie box 2.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 55
Wood for fret marker inlay. Not sure what kind of wood it is.

Attachments

• wood 1 w neck.jpg
    wood 1 w neck.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 49
sweet looks great, thats a cool cigar box. are you using the top for the soundboard? What wood is the box?

It's either cedar or redwood. I'm not sure. I had it directly shipped to Russ, the man behind Sonny Daze ukes, so I never saw it in person. He said he uses the tops for sound boards.

That''s actually not my neck. I asked for a piano key type fret marker, so the wood is only going part way across the neck. The wood will be the same though.

According to Russ, these boxes are redwood. He's worked with a few before and they had a stamp stating they were dried redwood.

Sweet! I know you will enjoy it!

My neck with the piano key style fret markers

Attachments

• Neck 8-22-D.jpg
    Neck 8-22-D.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 40
  • neck 8-22-C.jpg
    neck 8-22-C.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 32
Talked to a buddy of mine who does woodwork and he said that the inlay wood looks like Bocote. I attached a sample of what Bocote wood looks like, and the piece used to make the inlays is in an earlier post. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Bocote_2.341192508_std.JPG
    Bocote_2.341192508_std.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 8
I think I'll be getting an update soon. I got an email concerning sound-hole design. Here's what I picked.

Attachments

• img015.jpg
    img015.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Update!

The neck looks amazing! Check out the headstock.

Attachments

• neck and chunk 10-1-09.jpg
    neck and chunk 10-1-09.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Neck back 10-1-09.jpg
    Neck back 10-1-09.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 22
Updates are coming fast now. Here's the sound-holes done.

Attachments

• DK box 10-2.jpg
    DK box 10-2.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 16
  • DK Box C 10-2.jpg
    DK Box C 10-2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 9
Definitely looks like Bocote.. thought it was called Bicote though? I could be wrong, I don't know much about woods. But my Mike Irving tenor has a Bi/Bocote fretboard and it looks exactly like that. And feels super nice.

Awesome soundhole designs. This is going to be another great looking piece of art from sonny Daze.

Yeah, I thought it was Bicote too because that's how everyone pronounces it, but my friend who does tons of woodwork told me it's spelled Bocote. I looked it up and that's how all the woodworking websites spell it too. It supposedly is a Spanish term for a certain wood species.

Update

It looks like the neck is attached, tuner holes are there, and the string retainer is glued on.

Attachments

• DK 10-6.jpg
    DK 10-6.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom