District 9

It looks like it might have an interesting story, but when I saw the trailer a few months ago I was turned off because it did look too "explodie". :) Glad to hear it's really not. I will probably check it out in the next couple of weeks.

No but I saw that trailer.

I'm glad to see that other people liked it, the trailers and previews really make the movie seem a lot more like an action flick than I found it to be.
Although there are some guns and some blood, it's not so much of a thriller or action movie because of all the underlying interaction between the aliens and the humans.

Did I go to the same movie? I loved the first half or more. I thought it was quite interesting. But the last part? hmmmmm...went the old shot 'em up "explodie" route. The whole idea was terrific though. I just hate gratuitous violence tho.

I LOVED this movie. Very original. We we're the ones suppressing the alien race, how crazy. Took a while to make you get in to it, like Spooner said. I enjoyed how real it was... The main character was just a regular dude, self centered and motivated by things that would get him what he wanted. Very very cool movie.

I think the movie was good. Better than anything that's been out lately, but there were too many things that bothered me. (I'll try not to spoil, if you haven't seen the movie DON'T READ) First of all, I don't buy that we wouldn't have killed almost every one of them with a bomb. I don't buy that people would go door to door to serve eviction notices in such a dangerous place. I think they underestimated peoples ability to hate things different then them. They were worried about alien rights after only 20 years on Earth. Gay people in America still don't have equal rights and they've been around since Straight people. I don't understand why Nigerians were in there. I mean a bunch of aliens with possible viruses that could make people extinct is sort of a big deal and the WHOLE WORLD could pitch in and make a fence that people wouldn't be able to get in and aliens out. Where did the alien weapons come from. The prawns were starving on the spaceship and we brought them off the ship. Why didn't we make sure they didn't have any weapons when we transported them. Maybe I'm being to critical on a fun movie, but when I saw every newspaper giving 5 star reviews I just expected more. I did like how those guns made people explode into a mist of guts. :)

I'd like to see more feathered or at least fuzzy aliens. You'd think if they were that advanced, they would loose the creepy look.

I think the movie was good. Better than anything that's been out lately, but there were too many things that bothered me. (I'll try not to spoil, if you haven't seen the movie DON'T READ) First of all, I don't buy that we wouldn't have killed almost every one of them with a bomb. I don't buy that people would go door to door to serve eviction notices in such a dangerous place. I think they underestimated peoples ability to hate things different then them. They were worried about alien rights after only 20 years on Earth. Gay people in America still don't have equal rights and they've been around since Straight people. I don't understand why Nigerians were in there. I mean a bunch of aliens with possible viruses that could make people extinct is sort of a big deal and the WHOLE WORLD could pitch in and make a fence that people wouldn't be able to get in and aliens out. Where did the alien weapons come from. The prawns were starving on the spaceship and we brought them off the ship. Why didn't we make sure they didn't have any weapons when we transported them. Maybe I'm being to critical on a fun movie, but when I saw every newspaper giving 5 star reviews I just expected more. I did like how those guns made people explode into a mist of guts. :)

I just got home from seeing it. I really enjoyed it but I agree with your sentiments.

The eviction thing seemed silly. That small group of people are going door to door for 1.8 million signatures in 24 hours? No way.

Agreed on the weapon thing. That was a big WTF.

Nigerians... I thought the whole "Nigerian scams" thing was a little over the top. Why couldn't they just be local warlords or slum bosses or gangs? Did they really need that label? edit: Just read a little about South Africa. The interviews in the short film were about Nigerians and Zimbabweans. Apparently there is a whole dynamic there that I don't understand.

The switch from documentary to action/adventure flick was a little distracting.

The aliens remind me of Independence Day.

The main character (in the beginning) reminded me of Steve Carrell in the US version of The Office.

I hated the last scene in the movie. They should have left it open ended.

I really liked it though. I'm nitpicking for the enjoyment of complaining.

Here is a link to the original short film.

Last edited:
Top Bottom