"gopher server" mentions Ukulele Underground

Pippin

Reaction score
Most of you probably never heard of the Internet protocol known as "Gopher", but before there was a "world-wide-web" of linked servers (or websites), there was Gopher.

Gopher had "hyper-text-links" that took you from one place on the internet to the other, but, there were no graphics viewable on the site. You had to download images if they were provided. Mostly academics and real hard-core techno-weenies (like me) used it.

Here is a fun little look at the "old world" internet.

gopher://druuna.dud-t.org/1/ukulele

This is viewable in your web-browser. They can all see "Gopher Sites". While few remain, this one links to others.

Enjoy...

Here is the root link that took me to the link above...

gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/world/last-hit

Last edited:
Very cool. :cool: When I first got on the 'net back in 1994, the WWW was just getting started. Mosaic was the new kid on the block. People where still using Gopher, and Archie.

And you could finger coke machines. :eek:

JJ

the patch for Internet Explorer to use Gopher

Here is a link to the Internet Explorer update to enable it to see Gopher.

This is a Zipped file.

http://www.tricornpublications.com/bonus/iegopher.zip

I make no claim, no warranty, take no liability for the patch. It is widely distributed among academics and what few others that use Gopher (still), but I put it on my own servers so that anyone can download it if they want to try it.

Firefox, SeaMonkey, and Opera all work with Gopher sites.

If you are using Internet Explorer 6, there is a patch to enable it to see Gopher.
I switched over to FF and was able to see it just fine. :)

Guess I'm going to have to stop being a Luddite and upgrade from IE6, especially since youtube says it's going to stop supporting it soon. :eek:

I've always been one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" types, but there are some sites that just don't work in IE6 or that will actually crash it. :rolleyes:

I do keep up with all the WinXP patches, though. The sysadmin at our house (AKA my husband) is a real nazi about it and he threatens to cut me off at the router if I don't. :p

The sysadmin at our house (AKA my husband) is a real nazi about it and he threatens to cut me off at the router if I don't. :p

Smart Man.

I had my wife trained pretty well and now she even works as the marketing and communications guru for a computer security company.

Top Bottom