PDA

View Full Version : Help with buying my first Ukulele

fab612
08-16-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi everyone

First day on the forum and first post. Great forum by the way...:)

I need your help on buying my first uke...

I'm from the uk and I think I'm going to buy online.
From all the videos I've seen and as a guitarist I'm going to go for a tenor. I also like the darker ones. I don't need an electro accoustic one.

So I've narrowed down my search to 7 instruments and I'm hoping you can help me make my final decision. Prices range from £ 150 to 230. The first one is a bit cheaper but looked all right.

From Newcastlemusic
1 LANIKAI LU21T TENOR (91 £)
Lanikai LU21T Tenor Ukulele, Tenor ukulele, Nato body, Rosewood Fretboard and Bridge, 18 frets, Colour: Natural

From thomann.de
2 FENDER UKULELE NOHEA (£204 with gig bag)
Fender Ukulele Nohea Tenor Ukulele, Koa Top, Back & Sides Koa, Scalloped Bracing, Mahogany Neck, Rosewood Fretboard, 19 Frets, Scale 432 mm, width at nut 35 mm, Telecaster Headstock Shape, Finish Natural Satin, incl. Gig Bag

From Duke of Uke

3 Kala KA-MT Curly Mango Tenor Ukulele (£210)
Kala Solid Curly Mango Wood Top, Back & Sides Tenor Ukulele.

4 Lanikai CK-T Koa Tenor Ukulele (£230))
Curly Koa top, back and sides, rosewood fretboard, geared tuners, maple binding, 19 frets.

From hobgoblin
5 GR3515 Ashbury Tenor Koa Ukulele (167 £ with gigbag )
Curly Koa top, back and sides, rosewood f/board, maple binding Made in Indonesia.

Professional quality
Curly Koa top, back and sides, rosewood f/board, maple binding

From djm music

6 Ukulele - Antonio Carvalho Tenor Deluxe ( £166 )
Antonio Carvalho 2096 Tenor Ukulele. Antonio Carvalho ukuleles are made in Portugal and are admired for their exceptional sound quality. Specification:
• Solid Top
• Koa Faced Back & Sides
• 17.5" Scale

7 Vintage Laka Tenor Solid Koa Ukulele (£150)

The smart VUT90 Laka Ukulele features a solid Koa top with laminate Koa back and sides, with only the finest select cuts of wood used for the production of this great Uke.
High in finishing detail with fishbone binding & rosette, the VUT90 is a wonderful instrument for the home & mic'd up studio/gigging use.

Basically I'm looking to get the best value for money...
Thank you very much in advance for your help and comments!

fatfingers75
08-16-2009, 04:08 PM
id go with either the lanikai lu 21t. only because its a good uke for its price. (probably half the forum owns it including me!) but other than that its realy hard to choose, their all fine ukes! good luck on ur search.

brUKEman
08-16-2009, 05:46 PM
I did my homework and for my first uke I decided on the Ohana Tenor TK35G.
There are several reviews out there on it. For the price you can't beat it. I paid $239 (U.S. Dollars). It's been 3 months now and I am impressed with the workmanship and playability (Not to mention the tone)...