first week of school which uke should i use

haolejohn

Reaction score
Next week 8/17-8/21 is our first week back at school. I got 29 fifth graders this year and recruitment for the uke club begins. Last year I had 22 kids in PUPS. I would like to top that number this year. Which uke should I use to wow the kids?

A. Koaloha all koa concert
B. Mele double puka solid koa tenor with abalone inlay
C. Mele koa top tenor
D. Kala soprano
E. Makala dolphin soprano
F. All the above

use that Koaloha Concert. They'll find the headstock to be cool looking and the wood grain is going to be prettier than whatever they've already seen (at least I did). The tone is a major plus as well.

god school starts early down there huh? around here schools dont start until 9/8

Next week 8/17-8/21 is our first week back at school. I got 29 fifth graders this year and recruitment for the uke club begins. Last year I had 22 kids in PUPS. I would like to top that number this year. Which uke should I use to wow the kids?

A. Koaloha all koa concert
B. Mele double puka solid koa tenor with abalone inlay
C. Mele koa top tenor
D. Kala soprano
E. Makala dolphin soprano
F. All the above

Well...the girls will love dolphins above all else, and the boys will only be impressed if you pull a Pete Townshend on the the uke when you're done performing...so I vote for the Makala.

I have no experience with kids and ukes but...

I say, if they are playing Makala Dolphins, you should impress them with how great you can make the Makala Dolphin sound. Show them what is possible with the instrument they have at hand. It is the player that counts, and how much he or she practices. Later in the semester, show off the more expensive ukuleles. I think they might appreciate it more at that time too. It might result in an outbreak of UAS though.

–Lori

Amen to Lori, I vote Makala Dolphin, at least in the beginning. Show them what beautiful music that can be made from an affordable 'ukulele, and they will be encouraged to purchase a personal one that will only encourage them to play even more. :shaka:

Play your favorite, but make sure to bring along one of the less expensive ones in case the cost issue arises so you can show them how affordable ukes can be. (I think the idea of running a uke club for kids is fantastic. Kudos.)

Yours is the second uke club for fifth graders (that I know of) that's being run by a UU member.... Good for you!!

Who is the second? This will be our second year but I'd like to talk to the others for ideas.

He's relatively new to UU.... Cal-Mum uker. I'm not sure how often he checks in. Send him a pm, and if you don't hear from him let me know....I'll e-mail him.

Check out his school's club website. It's listed in the FMM clubs registry. They're the Cal-Mum (Caledonia/Mumford) Elementary School Ukulele Club, here in upstate NY. Very nice guy. I'm sure he'd be glad to compare notes with you....

Thanks. I can't get our district to give the club PUPS (panter (our school name) ukulele players society) a website. I am now trying to set up a link to an outside source through my website. I'm going to look him up and send a PM. Thanks.

F, because may different ukes are impressive and teaches them the whole family....you need to get a concert and a baritone.

The koaloha is a concert and baritones do not interest me. Afraid I'll have flashbacks.
oops, didn't catch the concert....well then, you have all you need. (The poor baritone always gets left out......she's sort of like the big, ugly step sister.)

Top Bottom