Slotted or Slanted???

rayray

Reaction score
I have this idea of a custom I wanted built, the problem is I cant decide on which headstock to use, slotted or slanted, suggestions?

I expect that the unslotted is also slanted unless it's Fender-style!

It's an aesthetic and financial decision. It takes a bit more time to make a slotted peghead, and therefore it costs more. It's a bit more difficult to change strings on a slot-head, but they're pretty. Explanations that go into string break angle behind the nut are fairly bogus because the builder can make the angle anything you like, slotted or paddle...

That's pretty much a personal decision, I think. Functionally, I don't know if there's much difference between different types of ukulele headstocks. You should expect to pay more for a slotted headstock because it takes more work, but otherwise it's purely based on which one you find more attractive. For what it's worth, I really like slotted headstocks. A couple of examples:

DSC_1523.JPG

DSC02513.JPG

I like the slotted. It reminds me of Jake's uke, and classical guitars.

The slanted look is more of a Fender electric guitar look.

Those are very different choices. Choose the one that suits you best. What kind of music do you like to play?

–Lori

For reasons I don't understand, I don't like the slotted look. Perhaps I'll change my mind when I see the Mainland concerts!:)

Oh, and input:

In most cases, I think the slanted look should stay with electrics - it looks out of place on acoustic instruments (though I've seen exceptions!). Slotted is a very sophisticated look and really dresses an instrument up...

Mahalos for all the input!, seems like most favor the slotted over the slanted.

Top Bottom