Workshop fair display

cornfedgroove

Reaction score
I got a workshop fair coming up through the local steel mill. They offer classes and workshops to provide additional skills/and or hobbies to the workers to keep them productive, sober, and out of jail.

I have a workshop fair in a couple weeks where all the potential workshops set up a booth etc to generate interest in their class. I have been offered the opportunity to take part in this and not just teach a cigar box building class in January, but with enough interest to teach one this quarter as well.

Here is a picture of what I have so far sitting around the house for my display. I will also perform on a few of them that night to boost interest. From left to right: all with pickups

-diatonic 3 string dulcimer using acoustic ADG strings with single coil pup, volume and tone
-tenor ukulele
-tenor / baritone depending on strings
-tenor /baritone ukulele
-mandolin
-chromatic 3 string using electric ADG
-single string Diddly bow for slide playing

I'm still going to make a chromatic, yet traditionally strung dulcimer in guitar format like this other picture, and probably another 3 string chromatic, but with acoustic strings and maybe adding a fancy headstock from now on. I do plan on doing soundholes for some, but unless I use gromets or some rim cover, my chuck is jacked and it'll just make an ugly hole.

I've been laid off 7 months now and I'm about busted, so a class for both quarters could toss me a much needed infusion of cash.

workshopfair.jpg

cigarboxes 012.jpg

cigarboxes 013.jpg

Last edited:
Those look great!

To further generate interest in the instrument, illustrate how simple it is to make a C, F, G (or three other simple ones). Then play several songs with just those chords. That may help convince some of the "I could never do that" people to realize that they could indeed.

Maybe you can add to the display by showing the stages of instrument building to let folks see what they can expect.

There's nothing quite like taking a class that gets you something immediately useful in the end. Keep at it.

thanks man, I'm glad someone finally said they looked nice, I was starting to think that people were just being nice by not commenting LOL. I really like them, action is low and playability is high.

Those are good suggestions. I'll have to take a few pics of some of the major stages in process. I'll also come up with some simple basic chords...i'll do Seger's Turn the Page and stuff like that.

Top Bottom