Taylor Swift gets the ukulele

UKISOCIETY

Reaction score
Here's good concert vid of T. Swift playing a tenor uke (?) on stage. What brand of uke is it, I wonder...

Her uke strap is a bit much tho. And then she sits down to play. I wonder if she wears suspenders with a belt, too. :p

I got goosebumps when she held the uke up and the crowd went wild. Most had no idea why they were going wild, probably, but that doesn't matter! :)

Her uke strap is a bit much tho. And then she sits down to play. I wonder if she wears suspenders with a belt, too. :p

And she's strumming it like a guitar, over the soundhole (no wonder she needs the strap...). Looks like she's using a pick too.

But hey, even if she hasn't figured out that it's not merely a tiny guitar, good for her for bringing the uke to the masses. I have a lot of respect for Ms. Swift--she's one of the few teenybopper superstars who actually have musical talent.

I bet there was more than one young girl in that audience who was googling "where to buy a ukulele" the next day. :shaka:

JJ

Hammering away at it with a pick... meh. Not bad, but it looked like a Pepsi can trying to play the uke to me. Just another over-produced product.

I keep hoping this "uke as pop fad" thing will pass soon. Things like this shove it right back to the novelty bin.

Like any popularity bubble, when it breaks - no one takes it seriously anymore. We’ve seen it happen to the uke, twice. It’s taken longer than I’ve been alive to recover from the last one.

Much better to have a slow increase in interest from low key, yet serious musicians. That’s sustainable. The minute these Disney kids go for it, the party is pretty much over.

I saw that writing on the wall when some twit "played" one on American Idol a while ago - this is just further proof of the end-times for this phase of uke popularity in my opinion.

Last edited:
Hammering away at it with a pick... meh. Not bad, but it looked like a Pepsi can trying to play the uke to me. Just another over-produced product.

I keep hoping this "uke as pop fad" thing will pass soon. Things like this shove it right back to the novelty bin.

Like any popularity bubble, when it breaks - no one takes it seriously anymore. We’ve seen it happen to the uke, twice. It’s taken longer than I’ve been alive to recover from the last one.

Much better to have a slow increase in interest from low key, yet serious musicians. That’s sustainable. The minute these Disney kids go for it, the party is pretty much over.

I saw that writing on the wall when some twit "played" one on American Idol a while ago - this is just further proof of the end-times for this phase of uke popularity in my opinion.

You're a Swiftist! ;)

i think her ukulele sounds weird...

but maybe because there's also two guitars playing. hmm, i dunno.

i agree about the strap though! its just kinda laying on her shoulder for decoration! haha

I'm a ...fan...of Taylor Swift. She has a good ear and plugs right into the pop market. Her songs are very unique to her age and market. But she writes, plays and sings and is having fun.
I'm not that impressed with her ukulele playing, but it's out in front of a lot of people who wouldn't have considered it acceptable before, so it's fine. A tenor ukulele with a pickup played with a pick is probably not going to sound very "ukulele" anyway.

I'm a ...fan...of Taylor Swift. She has a good ear and plugs right into the pop market. Her songs are very unique to her age and market. But she writes, plays and sings and is having fun.
I'm not that impressed with her ukulele playing, but it's out in front of a lot of people who wouldn't have considered it acceptable before, so it's fine. A tenor ukulele with a pickup played with a pick is probably not going to sound very "ukulele" anyway.

I am with Craig on this. She does have a good ear. It is the "pick" that makes it sound different, but Bliss Blood plays with a pick and so do some other uke players that will surprise you.

Top Bottom