Ukulele starter/ questions

benjive

Reaction score
Hi there, i just bought my first proper ukulele, its a Kala KA- ASMT. It sounds beautiful.

http://www.melmusic.com.au/shop/products_pictures/58959.jpg

I just adjusted the action a little because it was a little too high, i don't know what the standard action setting is? I usually like playing on the higher frets too.

One thing i noticed was that the resonance and clarity of the higher notes is quite poor and chords only last a few seconds, is this normal? Would a lower or higher action improve this? It came with nylgut strings, are these good? I noticed that on many the third string is steel?

Finally i was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some nice songs to learn. I have been playing guitar for 10 years, but i am fairly new the Ukulele :)

Coming from the guitar world, you'll have to get used to the lower sustain of the Ukulele. "A few seconds" is still pretty good. Kalas have a pretty good sound for the money. I have two of them, and yours is a step above either of mine.

What color are the strings? If they're like in the picture, they're not Nylguts. Those are all white with (sometimes) a wound third string but not always. Even if they are, a string change is the first thing I'd try. You don't know how long the old ones have been on, and what kind of abuse they received before coming to you. go to www.juststrings.com and order a fresh set of Aquilas.

I'm relatively new to the Uke, coming from the guitar world myself. Youtube and this forum has helped a LOT in my learning.

Top Bottom