Class Project -- Uke Around the World

dave alexander

Reaction score
I'm a 4th grade teacher in Raleigh, North Carolina USA who would like to steal the Brotherhood of the Traveling Ukulele and make it a project for my students. I thought of using one of my ukes and shipping it to a ukulele player who would take pictures and play the uke, then send it on.

The students would track the location of the ukulele in the class by email. We'd make a full year project of it, so there's no hurry getting it back. I'd like to have it go clear "Round the World" but some problems are obvious:

1) Cost. I'd give anybody the $ to ship it on its next "leg" of the journey, but how much does it cost to send a uke from say, London to Istanbul? Beats me. It doesn't weigh much. Am I talking about hundreds of dollars?

2) Losing track of the thing. If I lose it, it would be a loss for the students. I would only care about the educational experience, not so much the actual uke.

3) Getting help from international ukulele players. I know we have lots of folks in the Pacific Islands, and the UK of course. Middle East? (I'm thinking of sending to a soldier in Iraq, then Afganistan.) What about Asia? Australia? South America? It would totally ROCK to send this to every continent except Antarctica. And if somebody has an idea about Antarctica, I'll listen.

Please let me know if this is a rotten idea. Honestly. It would be a whole lot easier to ship paper -- but a uke would be far better. Since the kids would play the ukulele before it ships out, it would be something they actually had a connection to.

Obviously my goal is increasing global awareness through ukulele playing.

Thanks for your advice:

Dave

It sounds like an awesome idea Dave!
I would be more than willing to represent Norway :)

It's an awesome idea! I'm only in Oregon, but would be happy to receive/send it on! We have members all around the world - I know we could get it to Japan and Korea for sure; I think there's somebody in Thailand - what fun!

This is a good idea. I never thought of this. I teach fifth grade in georgia and I have 6 ukers in my class. We would love to be the first stop. Hint hint. I'd send it on out of my own pocket.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm writing to UPS and FEDEX about shipping. Each company brags about being able to locate/track their packages, and paying from here for needed overseas shipping should be easy. I was thinking about local post offices, and really didn't consider big corporate shippers.

For those who didn't get the earlier reference to Flat Stanley, a chidren's book features Stanley -- who is flattened to paper thin by a bulletin board, and whose parents mail him off. Teachers and kids around the world draw this character, and basically I stole the idea for a uke.

Come to think of it, the only original idea I've had today was to involve y'all.

Thanks for the ideas. My wife says it'll be too expensive.

there is starting to be a nice contingent of ukers in carolina. Do i sense a NC/SC uke meet up near Greenville?

there is starting to be a nice contingent of ukers in carolina. Do i sense a NC/SC uke meet up near Greenville?

What I'm sensing is a growing number of UUers who teach elementary school and have uke classes or clubs that they teach.

Haolejohn, what with school starting before we know it, maybe now would be a good time for someone (hint, hint!) to start a thread in Uke Talk pertaining to Elementary School Uke Clubs. You guys could be networking on UU and comparing notes....

BTW, have you guys seen ukeyes.com? (I think I got that right) It's an internet e-zine for people who teach ukulele in elementary settings. Just a thought....

Keep researching the postage costs. I've mailed things to Europe and the Caribbean and USPS is the cheapest by far. For the caribbean package I sent an ukulele from Minnesota to St. Thomas, US VI. It was about $11 with insurance included. I was surprised.

Also, if you need a signature from Minnesota, I'm willing.

For a great cause like that, I'd cover the cost of shipping it on to its next stop - I bet a lot of others would, too...

I'd be willing to contribute to a fund to help you send it around the world. By the way, I know of some soldiers serving in Afghanistan who are from Hawaii and they would be more than willing to do that leg for you.

For those who didn't get the earlier reference to Flat Stanley, a chidren's book features Stanley -- who is flattened to paper thin by a bulletin board, and whose parents mail him off. Teachers and kids around the world draw this character, and basically I stole the idea for a uke.

My wife says it'll be too expensive.

Here's an idea that will cost NO MONEY (keeping your lovely bride happy) and can be shared by ukulele players around the globe by E-MAIL!!!

There are many artists in the Ukulele Underground that can make us a "Flat Aldy" (line drawing of Aldrine). Members of the Ukulele Underground can take pictures videos, along with writing stories of their ukulele adventures with our very own Rockstar Flat Aldy! This will allow more Ukulele Underground members to be involved and will give you the largest response. Maybe you can hold a contest to see who draws the best "Flat Aldy" line drawing, using the Ukulele Moderators as judges! It needs to be a line drawing that fits on an 8.5" by 11" sheet of paper, so Dave's class can color it in. Dave will then scan it and post it right here on the Ukulele Underground, so we can post our photos, videos and stories of "Flat Aldy's Adventures". Any ideas, Undergrounders?!

To give our artists an idea of what a Flat Stanley is:

1873108219_cc5dbeb129.jpg

Here is a not yet "Flat Aldy" photo to work with that was taken by our very own zdiver:

Aldrine24.jpg

Wow, I never noticed how much Aldymon really resembles Flat Stanley, heck just slap a fedora on Stanley and you're good to go... :D

BTW, Ya'll should chill on offering donations before the Mods clamp down on this thread. Not trying to be a kill joy...but you know it is only a matter of time...

Awesome idea for a class project though :D

DeG your wisdom is beyond your years. I remember last year I "met" you and others who came to my defense in a thread people started offering donations in. The mods were quick to shut it down.

Top Bottom